Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fanboyism in progressive rock
    Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:09
Fanboyism in prog rock tends to tip toe on the edge of elitism a la 'my preferred music is far better than X because it is more complicated to play and furthermore displays clear nods to Bartok and Schoenberg'....which of course is complete bollocks.
If one person likes complex music over a more simplistic model then more power to them. What this doesn't equate to is a objective measure of the actual music. If music had any inherent value then we wouldn't be the only species listening.

Then again I've come across some pretty awful cases of fanboyism in both hip hop and metal circles, where supposed music lovers proclaim one style of music to be the absolute bee's knees and everything else is just sh*te. This says far more about the person in question than the actual music at hand.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 18 2017 at 09:10
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 06:29
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ahhh but what prepares the mind for prog? It's like when you eat eggs & bacon - then drink breakfast tea - who hasn't noticed how good the tea tastes after the palette has been prepared!
Perhaps a little bit of pop (or some-other music) - prepares the consciousness for prog and the appreciation of the genre.....
Maybe this is why the fanboy suffers such duff taste-buds?
Maybe even prog band's themselves used this tool - "More fool Me" as an example in there lurking like the ice-berg amongst the pinnacle-works of symphonic prog.....

you probably mean "palate", not "palette"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 05:46
Ahhh but what prepares the mind for prog? It's like when you eat eggs & bacon - then drink breakfast tea - who hasn't noticed how good the tea tastes after the palette has been prepared!
Perhaps a little bit of pop (or some-other music) - prepares the consciousness for prog and the appreciation of the genre.....
Maybe this is why the fanboy suffers such duff taste-buds?
Maybe even prog band's themselves used this tool - "More fool Me" as an example in there lurking like the ice-berg amongst the pinnacle-works of symphonic prog.....

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 18:38
you don't need to be a fanboy (or fangirl) to be a completist

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 16:51
Interesting discussion but in the end this is what it's all about: If I like it, then it is good. If I love it, real good.
(Your results may vary. And probably should. Necessarily should. Then, if our paths cross you can try to communicate your enthusiasms to me and I mine to you.)
Interesting phenomenon: some of the music that has become most beloved to me I disliked at first. But allowed time and an open mind and the content and it's intent to do their work.

Edited by Frankh - September 17 2017 at 16:52
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 14:34
Fanboys can be narrow minded but not always. I have noticed there are a lot of Rush fanboys. To me it can get annoying. I'm talking about people who act like there are no other bands on the planet except Rush. I came close to being like that with Yes at one point but instead I used my intense interest in Yes(and Rush and Genesis too for that matter)as a starting point to discover other bands. So for me Yes led to Genesis which led to Rush and PF, KC etc. Things just kind of snowballed. A fanboy is maybe someone who is caught up on a certain sound and only likes one or two bands who make that sound(ie Rush). With Rush a lot of their fans seem to like heavy metal and only listen to heavy metal which is weird because Rush aren't heavy metal. That's fine I guess because there are those who only like prog rock. So I guess there are those who only like a certain genre(and not just a certain band)and get caught up in that at the expense of everything else. Like I said a lot of Rush fans are like that but there are fans like that with other bands too. I'm probably not a total fanboy for Rush and Yes even though they are two of my favorite bands because they have put out stuff that is less than perfect to say the least. Fanboys tend to think band x can do no wrong. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 28 2017 at 14:35
vmartell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 21:20
Wow  - replying to a post from 2009! - I registered to PA just to do that! 
(also I kind of never noticed PA had a forum Smile )

Well - this is an all-round phenomenon - let me tell you, in addition to a prog fan I am also a serious classical fan; to my friends in that circle, I need to treat prog (or any pop)  as  guilty pleasure...  And guess what the behaviour is very similar!

One of those friends caught me listening to Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures" - could you believe he chided me for listening to "boy band" stuff?  really? joy division sounds like a boy band?

Two more examples comes from another prog forum - someone put David Guetta and Jean Michel Jarre in the same bag (as DJ music) while talking about the recent JMJ tour where he was on stage with a drummer and another keyboard player. Come on!...

Second example, talking about Steven Wilson's Pariah - I believe the comment was that simplistic stuff like that was gonna climb up the top 40 chart... really? 

I believe the examples above betray complete ignorance of the genres that are being put down by comparing to others  supposedly superior - be it prog or classical.  I can tell you my classical friend has ZERO knowledge of what pop boy band sounds like.

Anyone with a real interest in electronic music and a knowledge of EDM knows that live, Guetta only queues music as opposed to JMJ and even other EDM acts like the orbital, the chems, bt and even daft punk that do a lot of live playing.

And of course, the poster calling "pariah" top 40 material really has no idea what the top 40 sounds like these days.

All of the above,  were speaking without knowledge and out of prejudice - and to me, that is fanboyism - and it doesn't have to be progressive! 

Actually, it is weird to be on the other side - and I mean having prog dissed as simplistic crap! Another classical friend who also happens to be a very knowledgeable jazz fan was giving me hard time about prog  as compared to those, that is, "real jazz" and "real classical".  He was laughing extremely hard about how we marvel at 20 mins pieces... well, "my friend", he said, "that is just a short Haydn symphony"... then he called me names...

On the other hand, that is kind of true, isn't it?... Smile

v
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 08:18
My sons are 16 and 18, and to me, music looks a lot less 'tribal' then when I was a teenager in the late 70s.  We used to get attacked by skinheads for having long hair!
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 07:40
Ah.  Human nature.  I remember reading an interview with Robert Wyatt in the NME in 1974, where he complained that music fans were becoming too much like football club fans.  It wasn't enough to root for your team, you had to wish ill on their competition, and on specifically hated rivals most of all.  (The US equivalent would be Yankees vs. Red Sox.)  And that was in '74.
It ain't limited to sports and music.  I participate in a forum dedicated to airlines and airliners and discussions on aircraft often devolve into flame wars between Boeing fanboys and Airbus fanboys.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 11:56
I know that you specified that this wasn't what you were talking about, but I'm definitely someone who tends to love (almost) everything from my favorite artists.  But that's what makes them my favorite artists in the first place. 

In general, not just with my favorite artists, I'm not someone who tends to think that either song-to-song or album-to-album quality varies that much for most albums/artists.  That's not a popular opinion, but that's how I tend to react to albums and artists.

Re what you were talking about, I'm pretty guilty of this: "Treating progressiveness . . . as something that's good in itself."

I took out "as a means to an end" because I tend to be a formalist, so that I see the form as the end.

Really, what I like best, in general, is music with quirks, delivered via material that has at least some roots in the traditional and at least slightly sophisticated melodic and harmonic craftsmanship reflected in pre-rock era pop music. I also have a strong attraction to anything with funky or "grooving" rhythms. The above doesn't mean that the music has to be pop. I just want it to have some roots in the melodic and harmonic craftsmanship that pre-rock pop exemplified. (Think of standards like "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered".)

I'm not really that genre-oriented. I'm just quirk-(and groove-)oriented as above. Usually the further afield something moves from some combination of those three factors--quirkiness, melodic and harmonic sophistication with some structural relation to traditional pop music, and funkiness/groove-orientedness, the less interested I am in it. There are exceptions--for example, some ambient music is among my favorite stuff, but that's generally the key to whether I'll like something and just how much I'll like it.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 23:49
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

There is simply way too much fanboyism in prog rock circles, and here I don't mean things like just liking every single thing your favourite band releases because sometimes that is a defensible opinion.

Yeah, I know that "fanboy" originally meant "completist", but here I use the word in the newer sense where it describes a kind of snob who only really likes a specific work/series/genre/artist/publisher and will hence go to ridiculous lengths to explain its alleged superiority to everything else.  "Fan" is an abbrevation of "fanatic", after all. This often happens from an ignorant position because the person in question has limited exposure to stuff outside the narrow niche of interests in question. If I sound harsh here, I should inform here that this criticism is also directed at myself because until around roughly a year ago (or even less, depending on the definitions) I used to be pretty bad about having a ridiculously narrow field of interest and not giving stuff outside it much of a chance.

This isn't the same as just liking some genres and artists more than others. No, the litmus test is that whenever a fanboy or fangirl ever gets into something outside his/her field of interest, it's either excused as a guilty pleasure or just because it has some connection to whatever it is that he/she actually happens to like, either by having inspired "approved" material or involving some of the same people. For example, a Star Wars fanboy would watch The Bridge on the River Kwai because Alec Guinness is in it and The Dam Busters because George Lucas said it inspired the space battles in Star Wars, but not bother with other WW2 movies because they don't have anything to do with Star Wars.

Now, what does all this have to do with progressive rock?

Well, I've noticed this kind of attitude much more often in fans of progressive rock than of any other type of music. Depressingly frequent manifestations of this include:

People insisting that other sub-genres of rock'n'roll don't have proficient musicianship or ambitious concepts at all.

The thing that does bug me is when top musician ship is derided in favour of something such as punk which to me is sometimes fine when it puts a decent number across. But when the standard of musician ship is average but is lauded as wonderful I really wonder. I've heard many alt / new wave / punk efforts and some have been well suited to me. e.g. I enjoy a lot of The Cure (though the drumming to me was a bit too minimalist) but no worry really. Yet Television is heralded as a great guitar album (general critical view). I really don't think so, vocals are ok but the playing is quite mediocre.. Not as bad as Oasis though (the magazine transcript comments I've read of Oasis songs are probably unintentionally hilarious, insulting and accurate).

With prog rock there is an idea of excellence which puts off non prog fans. Apparently the dunce is best. Only in rock music do you get musicianship derided while appalling playing is revered. I mean really Sid Vicious as music icon?

Pop (as in flavor of the month stuff) is either here today or around forever such as ABBA because they were very good writers and singers. Occasionally dodgy songs but some class acts such as Eagle.

The problem is confusing pop culture which is so need for hero oriented (right wing authoritarian type subservience) with actual music. Structure, competence and virtuosity and sometimes with a good pop song a nice hook or series of brief motifs that combine to an exquisite minature. Here in prog there is this curious tendency to worship the Beatles for playing songs but deriding Asia for doing the same.

Treating progressiveness or stylistic complexity as something that's good in itself rather than as a means to an end.

It is the results that are important. In many ways I think we have to resort to being the ten year old or however young we were when something musical hit with the wow factor. Then bring it into the sophistication of adult assessment.

Endless nitpicking over what's "really" progressive and what isn't, which starts to look like an excuse to dismiss artists and albums out of hand if they don't live up to some arbitrary and possibly revisionistic standard of what progression really is.

I've no idea what progression is and don't care. A song / piece just has to be effective on it's own merits whatever style / genre it is supposed to be. That said I don't really go for acts playing something I've heard done before. Not against; its just not for me. It si quite easy to spot regression or, um, stagnation.

Whenever someone doesn't like progressive rock, it's treated as a sign of either some malicious conspiracy or stupidity on part of whatever group of people that's perceived as not appreciating progressive rock enough. 

That may be a reaction against the inverted snobbery that many rock fans have toward anything that smacks of intellectualism. And prog rock smacks of brains at least. And rock is supposed to be about... what? Passion. Feeling. Right on dude. And Something like Yours Is No Disgrace is not?

Only really liking music from other genres (e. g. jazz, metal) on the condition of how much it resembles (or is influential to) progressive rock.

Odd that on this site records are marked and reviewed in the context of value to a prog listener. i.e. you dear prog fan won't like an album because "it's not prog and this is a prog site". I would rather an album is reviewed in its context of its intent rather than it's value diminished for what it's not. To me that is elitism and very unfair on the act and the listener.

In general having a very "sacred cow" attitude to artists and albums that are seen as classics of the genre.

Guilty as charged. Almost all albums by the usual suspects in the usual time frame is stuff I like. Sometimes they move into the background, then forward again. I just like adding to the pile of albums of music I like. Last thing I got was a set of LvB's Piano Concertos. Daniel Barenboim tinkling the old Joanna...  

Possibly you mean someone voicing a negative view of a sacred cow. Oh no. How can such a view be held? First if someone does have one I am interested to see if the opinion has a basis which is fair comment on something. However all too often there is a "Well its my opinion and I'm entitled" etc etc. (I must say on PA that this is not as prevalent as it is in real life).

Everyone is entitled to their view and can like or not anything they want. I don't care. But if you cannot substantiate your reasoning (at all) then your view is that of a 2 year old. To be ignored. At worst it is somewhat cowardly to judge and condemn without substance - which is not the same as not liking or whatever. Now you have attacked something - someone's art and soething someone holds dear. And without any sort of articulation why. I might even dislike the same something as well but a retreat into knuckleheaded belligerence smacks of stupidity and ignorance (not the same thing).

But I don't see too much of this on PA as people are prog fans and better than the random hoi polloi that permeate say, face book. Not being snooty or anything here. ;)

grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 07:47
yes the genre does suffer a rather terrible stereotype , a loyalty that goes beyond admiration,the point is as you get older most become wiser about his/her choices in music, and the scope becomes wider.Hopefully the fanboy type of thinking (i.e everything that a personal favorite band or genre is not so significant anymore, but the creative or concept is more important than style i.e metal,classic,jazz) that will remain to the listener so that everything a certain band releases is not seen as a masterpiece, but has flaws or can be an all out waste, as i said earlier as we get older things can change.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 19:33
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Progressive Rock: A determined genre that was born in the middle 60's and lasts until today, divided in several well defined sub-genres.

Both these things are true only to a limited extent.  So I am not confusing the two words, I don't think prog rock as a genre is something rigidly defined.  Pop too by the way is just an umbrella term for flavour-of-the-moment music and jazz, rather than a genre, is a form of music, like rock.   

Edited by rogerthat - February 15 2011 at 19:34
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 11:29
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

But prog is a spirit, an approach, not a genre. How can you love it over "other music"? Progressiveness is found in many forms of music, not just prog rock. If you like prog rock at the exclusion of other progressive music, doesn't that smack of some amount of bias, regardless of whether you're entitled to your prejudices?

I disagree, I believe Prog is a genre, not an approach,. you are mistaking

progressive (Adj): Describes the approach of some bands to make music that is beyond the parameters of mainstream, like lets say REM, early U2 for example.

Progressive Rock: A determined genre that was born in the middle 60's and lasts until today, divided in several well defined sub-genres.

We are here to talk about PROGRESSIVE ROCK (The genre)

A band can be Prog and not progressive, because they may play in the style of the 70's Prog icons, and there are multiple progressive mainstream bands who are beyond their time but have no relation with Progressive Rock.

And Yes, I love Progressive Rock over Rock, Pop. Punk, etc

BTW: We are not talking about prejudices, some people like POP, others Jazz, I like Prog more than the rest.......What's the difference?.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 15 2011 at 11:51

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 11:05

Haven't met a person of this specie....But if they do, It's their right.

I have met quite a lot. I would say most people into prog for a long time take that approach.  Of course, it's their right, but prog is not all there's to music. 

Something I always admired in Prog fans is that they know what they like, we don't follow a band,. we follow the music (unlike a typical Britney or Eminem fan who will say everything they do is perfect)...I seen people protest against  a determined album by their favorite band, never seen a Yes, Genesis,  Jethro Tull or Pink Floyd fan that says all their albums are perfect.

Agreed that sacred cow-ism is not as much in say metal circles where you'd get crucified for disliking Black Sabbath or Morbid Angel, among others. Some defensiveness towards the big prog bands will remain, that's normal tendency.

What really makes me sick is this attitude of making us believe we should be  ashamed of loving Prog over most music, hey I'm here at least 3 hours a day, if I don't admit I love Prog over almost anything, I would be a liar.

But prog is a spirit, an approach, not a genre. How can you love it over "other music"? Progressiveness is found in many forms of music, not just prog rock. If you like prog rock at the exclusion of other progressive music, doesn't that smack of some amount of bias, regardless of whether you're entitled to your prejudices?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 22:06
Ivan in blue to separate my comments.

People insisting that other sub-genres of rock'n'roll don't have proficient musicianship or ambitious concepts at all.

I can't remember a single member of this site claiming that he/she only listens Prog, but if somebody considers that a determined genre (Like I believe about RAP) is hardly a proficient genre....It's just a personal opinion and personal taste.

Treating progressiveness or stylistic complexity as something that's good in itself rather than as a means to an end.

That's the reason why I don't like Gentle Giant, because IMO they are complex for the sake of complexity.

Endless nitpicking over what's "really" progressive and what isn't, which starts to look like an excuse to dismiss artists and albums out of hand if they don't live up to some arbitrary and possibly revisionistic standard of what progression really is.

This is a Prog site, and if people want to add non Prog bands, we are in the duty to oppose, as any Punk fan will object adding Emerson Lake & Palmer to Punk 77.

If you come to a Prog site, is to talk and discuss PROGRESSIVE ROCK, if you want an open site for all genres, you always have the General Music Forums, if that's not enough....Go to Allmusic.

Whenever someone doesn't like progressive rock, it's treated as a sign of either some malicious conspiracy or stupidity on part of whatever group of people that's perceived as not appreciating progressive rock enough.

That would be a naive approach, most of us know Prog is not or ever was the most popular genre and would be absolutely arrogant to believe that most of the people are stupid because they don't like what we like

Only really liking music from other genres (e. g. jazz, metal) on the condition of how much it resembles (or is influential to) progressive rock.

Haven't met a person of this specie....But if they do, It's their right.

In general having a very "sacred cow" attitude to artists and albums that are seen as classics of the genre.

Something I always admired in Prog fans is that they know what they like, we don't follow a band,. we follow the music (unlike a typical Britney or Eminem fan who will say everything they do is perfect)...I seen people protest against  a determined album by their favorite band, never seen a Yes, Genesis,  Jethro Tull or Pink Floyd fan that says all their albums are perfect.

What really makes me sick is this attitude of making us believe we should be  ashamed of loving Prog over most music, hey I'm here at least 3 hours a day, if I don't admit I love Prog over almost anything, I would be a liar.

I'm a Prog fan (not a fanboy), and admit it proudly,  if somebody doesn't like that we talk about progressiveness or how great the classic bands are (as well as the modern), then that person is wasting his time here.

Most of us love, breathe and sweat Prog, and it's time to admit it without any shame.

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 14 2011 at 22:11

RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 21:25
Wait, wait wait.....

People who don't like Prog are idiots?

How.... absolutely true. Except when its a girl not liking Prog then it is just cute.

Hell, any mediocre thing that a girl likes is cute.

For guys, yes they are stupid, uninformed, and soulless.

Remember what Rick Davies sings:

Hey Brother, where's your soul?

Not Hey Sister, etc. etc.

Copy this post and turn it into a religion. My mother was a virgin.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 20:53

It's probably more accurate to say that people's musical/literary/cinematic tastes are products of their personalities and the personality includes things like social identity.

Or in America ... to say that they learned the commercial advertising really well and that they will have 2.1 kids, get divorced and then try again, and get diabetes courtesy of your doctor at 55, and then cancer at 60, so the medical establishment can go milk the insurance companies for every penny they got and the government allows it and agrees with it!

Too much is about "popular" this and that, and I am not sure that anyone can have an individual identity, but yes, they will be good boys and girls with a nice social identity ... all the monkees look alike after all!

Social identity! ... geeeezzzzus!

Edited by moshkito - February 14 2011 at 21:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 20:36

The reason that it annoys me more in progressive rock/art rock fandom than with, say, folk fans is probably that this is a "movement" that prides itself on eclecticism and thinking outside the box so to see it get so insular and dogmatic is rather jarring. Confused Also, I guess that on a prog rock forum it is more appropriate to discuss how this kind of fanboyism applies here than to other genres. Wink

That is philosophy, and not accepted by some dogs here! Big smile Besides what does philosophy have to do with musicPig

Edited by moshkito - February 14 2011 at 20:36
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 20:11

.... For example, a Star Wars fanboy would watch The Bridge on the River Kwai because Alec Guinness is in it and The Dam Busters because George Lucas said it inspired the space battles in Star Wars, but not bother with other WW2 movies because they don't have anything to do with Star Wars.

Or you can use the recent one ... about little bits and pieces of music that Keith or Tony did ... as if no one ever had done anything like it ... and the best one I ever heard is not even in rock music, or jazz ... it's in Tosca, Act 2 in the opening sequence, where a violin in the background does a couple of single notes going downwards on the scale ... and my visual identification for it? ... easy ... it's as if they were tears falling down the singer's face as he sangs the aria ... there is not a whole lot in rock music I have ever heard that is as good as that ... maybe a couple of things Keith Jarrett has done, or Terje Rypdal or Egberto Gismonti, or Amon Duul 2 ... but the rest? ... not worth the mention because here you can only quote Tony, Keith, Rick and all th rest is crap and not good enough!

Sorry Keith or Tony or anyone else ... but very little is anywhere as pretty or as subtle as that ... and so beautiful. It takes a movie to bring it out, because you would not be able to see it on stage, and on a CD ... it's a lost cause with these 3 minute rock and prog fans! The hard part is teaching these commercial music "fans" that there is music, and then there is stuff that sells to make you think that it is good or better ... and you still go by Lady Gaga or some other "star" because they must be good if they are on TV and your progressive faves aren't.

... It's bad enough that rock'n'roll fandom often lapses into dogmatism and overtly nostalgic reverence for the past when it's supposed to be irreverent and iconoclastic and not holding anything sacred... but when fans of a sub-genre that stands for thinking even further outside the box show this many symptoms of having a really narrow perspective, I think we need to take a good look at ourselves. ...

Like your mom doesn't look at Elvis or James Dean?

It's the American way ... it's all TV and make sure you follow it and stay on it, and kiss the stars ... and many of us do exactly the same thing with "progressive music" ... many of us do not know anything else in life ... it's all they know, so me, or you, saying anything about it, is many times futile and frustrating ... not to mention fruitless because you end up getting trashed by a dog or a cat!

... To go back to the stuff I mentioned about this also being aimed at myself, I can point to that thread I made a long time ago that applauded Neil Young for having a song that sounded vaguely like King Crimson. From my current perspective, of course, that thread looks ridiculous. Apples and oranges, isn't that what they say?

Tha's actually acceptable to me, since Neil is quite free form and does his own thing and even at his age, he has not given up and still stands with us ... the difference being that he does what he does, and London is not the boss ... or the imperialist!

Neil has always been a bit of a Fripp, not necessarily with his guitar, but with his voice ... and that is something that is hard to do, and sometimes it is laughed at as ... not singing ... which was the first thing everyone said when he went solo the first time alone on a piano! In the end, he is a true American artist, and deserves the credit for the amount of work and vision. He is one of the few that never quit!  And that is a lot more that can be said for Genesis, KC, ELP or Pink Floyd! ... and on top of it? ... Neil still sold!

To me, in the end, this is a reflection of the leadership ... and the people they select to work with/for them ... and nepotism has been around forever ... people still choosing people that agree with them, because they do not think that they can not gain from a different opinion ... they never studied mathematics or science, enough to realize that is not true at all, btw! .... and we do not have to discuss leadership!

Edited by moshkito - February 14 2011 at 21:11
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>