FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFanboyism in progressive rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 10:55
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I've come to this far too late, but I'd like to throw my two cents in - seen as this is one of the most interesting, stimulating threads I've seen in a long time. Kudos to TM for starting itClap.

First of all, I don't know if (personally speaking, of course) I would use the word 'fanboy' to define the attitudes you listed in your initial post - though I'd definitely employ the 'fan' part of it, as a short form of 'fanatic'. More than simple fanboyism, which is usually manifested in the ways you mentioned (completionism and so on), I'd say it is an extreme form of elitism, or even 'superiority complex'. Other groups require their members  to 'pledge their allegiance'  by wearing a sort of uniform to signal their identity as a member of the group (see the 'are we a subculture?' thread for more on this subject). Prog goes about it in different ways, more subtle perhaps, as you pointed out in your list.

From what I've read the word "fanboy" was originally used back in the 1980s by comic book collectors to describe the totally OCD kind of completist, but recently it seems to mean more often the "my favourite work/genre/series/artist is perfect and hence the only one that really matters" mentality I describe in the OP whereas completists are usually called just that - completists. Granted, some fanboys are completists but the two groups aren't synonymous at all... for example, going "Oh no it's ruined forever!" over a series or artist radically changing direction because you consider the old version infallible is pretty stereotypical fanboy behaviour.

Quote Now for my comments:

People insisting that other sub-genres of rock'n'roll don't have proficient musicianship or ambitious concepts at all.

Very common on this forum, much less so on other discussion boards I know. I don't want to sound ageist, but generally this attitude is typical of younger prog fans. Those of my generation or older generally show a much broader outlook, having been exposed to a lot of different music genres in their lifetime.

Fits very well into what Jim Brown said earlier about this being a phase a lot of people go through in their teenage years. It is the same thing with the "I'm too hip to actually like anything except in a detached academic sense" attitude that is fanboyism's evil twin, I might add.

Quote There are prog albums which are next to unlistenable just because the musicians think changing time signature every five seconds is the best thing since sliced bread...

Would you name any examples here? The fact that you might be talking about something I like piques my interest because I no longer listen to anything uncritically... yeah, I might sound like I'm displaying that overtly detached attitude that I used to but in fact that's now made me more forgiving.

Quote Whenever someone doesn't like progressive rock, it's treated as a sign of either some malicious conspiracy or stupidity on part of whatever group of people that's perceived as not appreciating progressive rock enough.

See the plethora of threads about how everyone else hates prog - as if people lost sleep in trying to devise ways to put prog down. The truth is, most people will choose the path of least resistance when it comes to music, books, or movies - which means, they will go for stuff that does not tax the brain too much. If things were different, Hollywood would have gone bust long since.

The funny thing is that I think you might be falling into that trap here again, and I was about to point to the mainstream crossover success of prog rock and for that matter artistic cinema (like Easy Rider and Midnight Cowboy) in the late 1960s/early-to-mid 1970s as a counter-argument... then again, maybe that was a historical anomaly brought about by the freewheeling disillusioned-but-not-cynical spirit of the times. When it comes to music there's also how rock music in general has very slowly been through a process of re-orienting itself towards being exclusively by and for fringe subcultures since the 1980s. With literature there's also how some fairly high-brow authors (e. g. James Ellroy, Cormac Mac Carthy) becoming popular and yielding a lot of bestsellers... but maybe they're the exceptions that prove the rule. Ermm

Quote In general having a very "sacred cow" attitude to artists and albums that are seen as classics of the genre.

This is not always true, as proved by the numerous ELP bashers, or by the 'modern vs classic prog' diatribe that is alive and well on this and other site.

I think that here we have a generation gap on display... every generation has its own historical context and perspective, even within fans of the same genre. This is not to say that people from different generations can't like the same music (or art of any kind) just that it won't be for the exact reasons. This might be why, as certain people have observed, retro-rock bands often resemble each other more than they do the classics.

Another example: The whole "people who came of age in the 1960s and 1970s thinking rock'n'roll peaked back then" business is quite a pet peeve for a lot of Gen-Xers, especially music reviewer Jim Derogatis who's best known here as the author of Turn on your Mind but also edited a book called Kill Your Idols a while ago that was an attack on the traditional list of rock classics' being informed by Baby Boomer nostalgia. Its underlying premise is that loyalty to the institution of "the classics" actually runs counter to the spirit of rock music. I've never actually read that book because I can't find it but I would like to out of curiosity... the prologue certainly sounds appetizing. (and it was one of the things that inspired me to starting this thread)

It's probably a similar conflict we're seeing here, with the entire progress business added as a second axis for the conversation to wrap itself around. So, we get different canons of classics depending on who you ask and age is no doubt a big factor here. For the record most of the contemporary prog-rock I like is generally not categorized as such because of "scene politics" and the associated obsessive nitpicking around genre classifications that is probably my number one pet peeve in music.

Quote Thanks again for the great topicThumbs Up! We need more of the same sort.

Thanks. To be honest, I'm surprised this thread was as well-received as it was because with this one I set out to really kick out the jams though I also did go out of my way to make it clear this was from an insider perspective.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 10:57
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Whenever someone doesn't like progressive rock, it's treated as a sign of either some malicious conspiracy or stupidity on part of whatever group of people that's perceived as not appreciating progressive rock enough.

See the plethora of threads about how everyone else hates prog - as if people lost sleep in trying to devise ways to put prog down. The truth is, most people will choose the path of least resistance when it comes to music, books, or movies - which means, they will go for stuff that does not tax the brain too much. If things were different, Hollywood would have gone bust long since.

Now that  - I like LOL

Now thats more interesting - why is the majority of people not putting any affort into having a better cultural experience than the one stuffed into your mouth/ear/eye ect.

Are they not able too ?
Are they too lazy ?
Or maby the "mainstreem" art is infact better than the Avantgard, and we are all just snobs ?

NB.: I wonder how many Proggers in here, have seen more "Dogme" film, than film from hollywood
stupidly copy/paste the plot from a cartoon. (Batman Superman Spiderman : You got the picture) 

Edited by tamijo - September 04 2009 at 11:00
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 12:20
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Now thats more interesting - why is the majority of people not putting any affort into having a better cultural experience than the one stuffed into your mouth/ear/eye ect.

Are they not able too ?
Are they too lazy ?
Or maby the "mainstreem" art is infact better than the Avantgard, and we are all just snobs ?

Well, look in the mirror... you have Lily Allen and 3 Doors Down on your last.fm top artists. Wink
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 22:01
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

[
The funny thing is that I think you might be falling into that trap here again, and I was about to point to the mainstream crossover success of prog rock and for that matter artistic cinema (like Easy Rider and Midnight Cowboy) in the late 1960s/early-to-mid 1970s as a counter-argument... then again, maybe that was a historical anomaly brought about by the freewheeling disillusioned-but-not-cynical spirit of the times. When it comes to music there's also how rock music in general has very slowly been through a process of re-orienting itself towards being exclusively by and for fringe subcultures since the 1980s. With literature there's also how some fairly high-brow authors (e. g. James Ellroy, Cormac Mac Carthy) becoming popular and yielding a lot of bestsellers... but maybe they're the exceptions that prove the rule. Ermm

I don't think the freewheeling spirit alone explains it, I think people also had more time for stuff like music.  I am at a disadvantage here because we in India are far behind the West in terms of urbanisation and its effects on the social system, divorce and suicide rates have only now shot up to levels high enough to catch the public eye.  LOL  But couldn't it simply be that video games and the computer have supplanted music as a source of entertainment, thereby leaving people with a shorter attention span for music?  I am not blaming computers or modern lifestyle, there's nothing to be got out of blaming, I am just making a normative observation.  It's unreasonable to expect people to devote as much time to music (or books for that matter) as they could earlier because the socio-cultural factors operating today are different.  Again, I speak more from my experience and it may not hold true in other parts of the world.  I wasn't even born in the 70s but I do know that back then, means of entertainment here were limited and that may have actually allowed people the time to get the best out of what they had whereas today they are spoilt for choice.    I also think that if a child grows up almost completely on a diet of video games, it's unlikely that he/she would suddenly develop a serious liking for music and vice versa. Books and music have been my favourite source of entertainment since I was a child, partly because my parents couldn't afford to buy me video games and didn't think too much of it was a good idea.  If this hadn't been the case, I would have been no different from the XBox kids on whom Wilson unleashed his wrath!  LOL  Social conditioning is a lot, lot more important than people care to admit.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 02:27
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I wasn't even born in the 70s but I do know that back then, means of entertainment here were limited and that may have actually allowed people the time to get the best out of what they had whereas today they are spoilt for choice.

Wouldn't the longer list of entertainment options logically make people more likely to investigate stuff that's out of the mainstream? Confused On the other hand, you could also say that the internet has sped up the process of Western culture getting increasingly fragmented because thanks to message boards like this one, it's now possible to only get your reviews and opinions on music or movies or literature from people with mostly the same tastes as yourself. This could be another reason why fanboyism is more common in the younger generation.

Quote I also think that if a child grows up almost completely on a diet of video games, it's unlikely that he/she would suddenly develop a serious liking for music and vice versa. Books and music have been my favourite source of entertainment since I was a child, partly because my parents couldn't afford to buy me video games and didn't think too much of it was a good idea.

I grew up with video games and I'm seriously into music and literature. Well, at least I like to think that I am. Wink

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 02:53

Wouldn't the longer list of entertainment options logically make people more likely to investigate stuff that's out of the mainstream? Confused On the other hand, you could also say that the internet has sped up the process of Western culture getting increasingly fragmented because thanks to message boards like this one, it's now possible to only get your reviews and opinions on music or movies or literature from people with mostly the same tastes as yourself. This could be another reason why fanboyism is more common in the younger generation.

Ideally, it should but that doesn't seem to happen and instead people use a little bit of all these entertainment options and are perhaps too constrained for time as a result to go off the beaten path.  You have said later in your post that you DID grow up on video games.  I want to ask you how old you are, because I want to know at which point this business of forming warring camps based on genres started.  I don't have anything against so many genres PROVIDED they are only used to give a quick reference in terms of what to expect from an album, but it's quite silly how people form clubs for extremely fragmented scenes of music and want to have nothing to do with those who are not part of these 'clubs'.  It does appear that in metal it's having the effect of artists pandering to these factions (they have to if they want to survive) and such obsessive fragmentation can only be counter-productive in the long run. 

I grew up with video games and I'm seriously into music and literature. Well, at least I like to think that I am. Wink

I only said it's UNLIKELY, not impossible.  Wink  For one Toaster Mantis, I could show you a hundred others readily who didn't grow up on music and are not likely to be ever more than casually interested in it in their lives.  The exceptions make the rule, they don't break it.  In any case, I wasn't completely weaned off video games either and I did bring my PC crashing down a few times by playing NFS all the time LOL but it never surpassed music and books in my priorities and ultimately I outgrew it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 03:18

You have said later in your post that you DID grow up on video games.  I want to ask you how old you are, because I want to know at which point this business of forming warring camps based on genres started.

I am 21 years old. Maybe it should be mentioned that I also learned to read much earlier than average, and that I completely stopped playing video games at all back in high school. As for the increasing fragmentation of music genres I think that started in the 1990s, possibly in the late 1980s too. I don't remember reading about that much inter-scene rivalry as in within the same genre that happened in the 1970s.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 03:21

Are they not able too ?
Are they too lazy ?

Well, look in the mirror... you have Lily Allen and 3 Doors Down on your last.fm top artists. Wink

Was that a "Yes i watch stupid cartoon movies" ?

I guees my last fm showed resently played tracks at a time where i had my mum visiting.
If interested you can check again here : http://www.last.fm/user/tamijo-lfm

NB.: Skal du med ind og se The Mars Volta

Edited by tamijo - September 05 2009 at 03:24
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 03:25

You have said later in your post that you DID grow up on video games.  I want to ask you how old you are, because I want to know at which point this business of forming warring camps based on genres started.

I am 21 years old. Maybe it should be mentioned that I also learned to read much earlier than average, and that I completely stopped playing video games at all back in high school. As for the increasing fragmentation of music genres I think that started in the 1990s, possibly in the late 1980s too. I don't remember reading about that much inter-scene rivalry as in within the same genre that happened in the 1970s.

You are 'ahead' of me.   LOL  I used to play computer games even in college and I am two years older than you.  Hmm...yes, late 80s and early 90s sounds reasonable to me.  This was when Norwegian black metal bands famously declared war on death metal, saying it would ruin and corrupt metal and what not.  Also, sometime in the late 80s, Metallica played in the same concert as Bon Jovi and apparently told the crowd they wouldn't get spandex and ooh baby here.  Deeply ironic in light of what Metallica would do later and also rather offensive. I dislike Bon Jovi passionately but if some people do like it, what's wrong with that, why poke fun at their tastes? 
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 09:19

It does appear that in metal it's having the effect of artists pandering to these factions (they have to if they want to survive) and such obsessive fragmentation can only be counter-productive in the long run. 

I would disagree.The fragmentation of metal has actually led to great innovation, since each genre has developed on its own without accepting much outside influence. Would power metal be the same today if the major bands had been "innovative" by incorporating elements of other metal genres into their music? There wouldn't be much of an identity for future bands to work off of, and the genres would move closer together stylistically instead of farther apart.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

I would disagree.The fragmentation of metal has actually led to great innovation, since each genre has developed on its own without accepting much outside influence. Would power metal be the same today if the major bands had been "innovative" by incorporating elements of other metal genres into their music? There wouldn't be much of an identity for future bands to work off of, and the genres would move closer together stylistically instead of farther apart.

It has happened anyway, Gothenburg/melodeath and symphonic gothic metal? These do melt the boundaries between power metal and other genres.  Fragmentation might give a distinct identity to bands but how do they then distinguish themselves if they all work within the same narrow parameters that define the genre?  Especially thrash metal has got to the point where unless you forget about every single riff you have ever heard, you can't help feeling a sense of deja vu.  In my opinion, only doom metal unfailingly produces something fresh year after year and this is because doom metal bands incorporate elements not only from metal but non-metal genres.  Acid Witch...psychedelic doom. Had a release in 2008, awesome, easily one of my favourites from this decade. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 14:32

More like "I find it weird that you pull the beleagured defender of high culture persona while listening to some pretty damn populist music." Big smile

Re-investigating your recent listening habits I don't feel like changing my mind , RHCP or The Cure aren't exactly underground or elitist.

Oh, and I actually happen to enjoy the occasional superhero movie though right now I'm really sick and tired of the genre. (same thing with serial killer movies) For the record, if my avatar isn't enough of an indication I probably watch more arthouse/cult movies than the average person though didn't those get some mainstream crossover here in Scandinavia thanks to the Dogme 95 movement? It seems like occasionally the "plebs" will actually look into the subterranean caverns of esoteric and artsy stuff.

Quote NB.: Skal du med ind og se The Mars Volta

Maybe maybe not, it's gonna be in December and chances are I'm gonna be really busy that month. Confused
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 15:20
You have a point. I think maybe genres need to develop in isolation to other genres, and then it's ok to fuse with other genres afterwards. You can't create a new sound if you are only mixing styles, although sometimes, like in the case of thrash, you need a breath of fresh ideas from other genres. I still hear plenty of innovative bands that are in one solid genre and even disdainful of other genres. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 16:14
The problem isn't subgenres, genre hybrids and rivalry between local scenes....  I guess the real problem is when subversion of the formula becomes a formula on its own and trying to categorize everything into its own narrowly defined little sub-sub-genre encourages this kind of development because it makes it easier for a style to go from one artist's signature style to a marketable cliché. It might be a strawman I'm putting up here but some of the nitpickery over sub-sub-sub-genres I've witnessed is pretty damn ridiculous.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 00:46
Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

You have a point. I think maybe genres need to develop in isolation to other genres, and then it's ok to fuse with other genres afterwards. You can't create a new sound if you are only mixing styles, although sometimes, like in the case of thrash, you need a breath of fresh ideas from other genres. I still hear plenty of innovative bands that are in one solid genre and even disdainful of other genres. 

It depends on how the styles are mixed.  If it's done in an extremely gimmicky and patchy manner, it won't really take the genre forward. On the other hand, if done well, it could open up new possibilities  and directions for the genre.  It's interesting that you think of power metal as a genre working in isolation because I haven't really felt THAT to be the case at all; it has broken off a bit from the rest of metal but it also absorbs a lot of influence from non-metal music.  The problem with power metal today is that it's very cool for a lot of extreme metal fans to profess how much they hate it and this means you don't have enough interest being created in the genre and perhaps even new, promising talent coming in.  I don't know much about power metal but I know some people who do and they say there hasn't been a really good new power metal album in a while and this could be because of the antagonistic attitude of people in 'clubs' of other genres.  

It would be great if you bring up specific examples w.r.t that last sentence Smile because I personally don't think it's feasible beyond a point to keep coming out with fresh and interesting material whilst pretending that the rest of music doesn't exist; it would work for the first few years when the genre in itself is nascent and fresh but once the style is settled, it could lead to albums sounding terribly similar and familiar. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 00:49

It might be a strawman I'm putting up here but some of the nitpickery over sub-sub-sub-genres I've witnessed is pretty damn ridiculous.

Yes, and unfortunately there's way too much of this in metal, especially black metal.  It's hard to understand people who get so possessive about extremely narrow scenes of an already relatively narrow genre. I mean in the larger scheme of all metal, black metal is just one more style and metal itself is part of the larger universe of rock.  I am not saying one shouldn't have clear preferences but these shouldn't lead to fanaticism. 
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 02:37

More like "I find it weird that you pull the beleagured defender of high culture persona while listening to some pretty damn populist music." Big smile

Re-investigating your recent listening habits I don't feel like changing my mind , RHCP or The Cure aren't exactly underground or elitist.

Oh, and I actually happen to enjoy the occasional superhero movie though right now I'm really sick and tired of the genre. (same thing with serial killer movies) For the record, if my avatar isn't enough of an indication I probably watch more arthouse/cult movies than the average person though didn't those get some mainstream crossover here in Scandinavia thanks to the Dogme 95 movement? It seems like occasionally the "plebs" will actually look into the subterranean caverns of esoteric and artsy stuff.

Quote NB.: Skal du med ind og se The Mars Volta

Maybe maybe not, it's gonna be in December and chances are I'm gonna be really busy that month. Confused
You are right if what you are saying is that im not "only" listning to Prog/Anantgard/Underground or whatever the label.
Would be more fair to say that what i listen to, can be any style as long as i like it.     

But i dont c how that would influence a debate about why most people avoid looking into anything outside the mainstream culture.
On the subject of Fanboyism,  if anything its may show that you are getting sucked in there a bit yourself.
Looking at a persons resent play list trying to draw conclution about the persons music taste, not that
great an idear. Tongue

NB:
Cure was not mainstream for the first 4-5 albums, they became mainstream when MTV cought interest mid 80's.

RHCP cought my interest cos i listen a lot to The Mars Volta atm and i'we noticed that John Frusciante does take part on all the studio sessions, I got i friend who love em so i thought i'd take a closer look, borrowed the new John Frusciante album and a few RHCP albums.
For the record his solo album is great in a late 60's kinda way, but the RCHP gets me bored after a short while.

Edited by tamijo - September 06 2009 at 03:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 03:47
Let me clarify: I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to pop music, it's just that doing so while also maintaining an anti-populist stance (at least when it comes to movies) strikes me as a bit incongruous.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 03:59
Yes i got that.

But i was not making any elitist comment, infact i was trowing out a question.
Using the Movie as an example, cos i know for a fact that quite few people, dig deep into alternative movies, and to those that dont understand why some people "stick" with mainstream music, an
explanation may be hidden there.

Edited by tamijo - September 06 2009 at 04:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 04:43
Well, I can think of a bunch of pat answers to that but I also have a feeling that none of them suffice.

Have you ever heard of a sociologist named Herbert Gans? Back in the 1970s he did some research into that and he found that how high-brow/alternative someone's tastes is usually correlated with level of education which again is a function of social class. At least it was back then.

However, that analysis begins to look extremely reductionistic when you consider that in rock music a lot of bands that make a big deal out of how authentically blue-collar don't have the credentials to really back it up (e. g. The Clash, CCR, Rolling Stones - not meant as a swipe against their music, just their image) whereas you find bands that actually are from a working-class background just as often go into fairly high-brow multi-layered genre-bending music (e. g. the Beatles, Roxy Music, Type O Negative). As a matter of fact it's a bit of a common stereotype, the middle-class bohemian "snobbing downwards" in pursuit of humility so I am not sure how much the artists I mentioned here are exceptions to the rule.

I believe that for reasons like this, another sociologist Pierre Bourdieu has devised some kind of dual-axis idea about how there's an economical and a cultural class system which are separate and only occasionally overlap though I don't remember that much of his theory. For that matter I'm not really sure either how this theory would explain that much other than stating the obvious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>