Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg with Upright Bass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 04:27
It's hard to suggest bands without sliding into jazz.I guess I could say some Mr Bungle or general Trevor Dunn related bands.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 04:54
Originally posted by Captain Capricorn Captain Capricorn wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Pain of Salvations Be has a fair amount of upright bass as well as fretless and fretted six string bass guitar.

That's one band I've never explored ...any suggestion as to where to start?

If its upright bass you want, Be is the only studio album of theirs to use it and the live acoustic album 12:5 has at least one song using upright bass.

If you want to get into the rest of their disography, The Perfect Element is the best place to start.

Oh, and I was listening to Soft Machines Fourth last night, some excellent upright bass playing on their.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 00:51
The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution anyone?

that's Zappa again btw. and it absolutely HAS to be the Sleep Dirt version. Why couldnt that version be on Lather???
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 22:48
Kayo Dot stands out first in my mind.

EDIT: Oh also A Silver Mt. Zion makes extensive use of it. 

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - August 08 2009 at 22:51
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 03:18
Originally posted by Captain Capricorn Captain Capricorn wrote:

Frogg Cafe isn't really my cup of tea ...not too familiar with Fromuz though ...I'll check them out today Big smile

As far as Frogg Cafe goes, make sure you've listened to the Safenzee Diaries before you dismiss them. They are a whole lot more effective live. I have no idea when that Fromuz album is coming out; supposedly they are in the mixing phase according their facebook page.
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 02:22
Danny Thompson of PENTANGLE fame has already been mentioned, but he does a lot more than just PENTANGLE. [ 'Reflections' is a great example of their jazzier more prog influenced work ].

More recently he's worked with Jakko Jakszyk on some tracks on Jakkos solo, ' The Bruised Romantic Glee Club' and earlier in the Indian influenced ' Dizrhythmia'. Even earlier, Danny's solos , particularly ' Whatever ' is very good in a jazz/folk/proggy kind of way and well worth a listen.

But in the more fusion mould, Christian McBride from the US is a monster of the double bass. He has a number of interesting releases. A good place to start with him, particularly if you like STING's jazzier incarnations ,is the great Sting DVD ' All This Time ' , where despite Stings use of his old Fender bass, Christian powers along with Manu Katche on drums in what is a sublime band.

Said band is largely acoustic [ hence the appropriate input from Christian ] and Sting rearranged some of his old classics in a really interesting Jazz oriented way . [ You've just got to love the souped up version of ' Roxanne' featuring Jason Robello on grand piano as well as an unforgettable version of ' An Englishman in New York ' which is given similar treatment.] Suck it and see.
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12