Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Hackett leaving Genesis, by greed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Hackett leaving Genesis, by greed?
    Posted: August 03 2009 at 20:30
I read a lot of comments on Hackett leaving Genesis, and even though its officially stated due to writing credit disagrements, a lot of people who claim that everything after Steve left was crap (which is a shame becuase IMO 'And Then There Three' and 'Duke' were great albums) usually say things like 'Oh he left becuase he sensed that the band were becoming 'commercial' and did not want to be a part of it' (then go and praise the solo album 'Cured' which is blatantly 'commecial' music) or 'The other three plotted to stop Steve contributing'. Someone even took it one step further and said this on a comment for a guitar cover for 'One for the Vine'

''It really requires a lot of deep feeling in order to play Steve's parts, we all know that Tony was always a little bit jealous of Steve's presence in Genesis because of his wisdom and his complex composition, and as time passed by, sorry Tony, you are a Genious, But, Steve's repertoir is far better long and complete than yours''.

But I have always thought that a greed factor from Hackett played apart from his departure. Genesis always had a democratic approach on writing credits, and if you look on credits for 'Wind and Wuthering', Hackett gets a lot of credit on contribution to the songs on the album. Infact I heard that they actually splitted the trrack ''Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...In That Quiet Earth" so that they could give Hackett more writing credit, and after seeing interviews from all four members, I do think that Hackett started to get greedy, and when his demands were not being met, decided to leave.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 20:59
Everything Genesis did post-Steve was not crap.  They both made attempts at commercial success, Genesis was wildly successful, Steve was not (as in bad pop mixed with OK prog).  Genesis went on to make good pop albums Steve did not. 

When it comes to solo albums Steve, over the course of his career to the present, has a body of work he can be proud of.  The notorious three each squeezed out a decent solo album at first, but seriously left their prog fans behind. 

Fast forward to this decade and Steve has continued to put out and create great music.  The Genesis Three seem to be more riding on their commercial laurels.  So be it.  Classical Genesis is still around to enjoy.  New Hackett is there if you can...

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 03 2009 at 21:01
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 12:59
I can't imagine Hackett leaving because of money issues.  The band was just starting to become well known when he left and was probably starting to bring in decent money (they made very little prior to The Lamb).  He obviously wasn't going to make more in a solo career (though admittedly, he might have thought he could).  Everything I've read about Steve, interviews I've seen, etc., leads me to believe that money was not a factor for him.  The simple fact is, he got a taste of what it was like to be the captain of the ship, and after two more albums with Genesis struggling to get his ideas used, he decided he needed to get ALL his ideas out, not just small pieces that the band approved of.  Genesis was not a big name band when he left, and despite having a couple of charting songs didn't really have huge success until a couple albums after he left.

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 13:14
Steve Hackett's leaving Genesis? Cry
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 13:17
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I've heard Peter's leaving as well.  Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 13:19
I think that I heard that Phil might leave for an album before coming back and touring to play the old material.
2ndsout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 13:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Everything Genesis did post-Steve was not crap.  They both made attempts at commercial success, Genesis was wildly successful, Steve was not (as in bad pop mixed with OK prog).  Genesis went on to make good pop albums Steve did not. 

When it comes to solo albums Steve, over the course of his career to the present, has a body of work he can be proud of.  The notorious three each squeezed out a decent solo album at first, but seriously left their prog fans behind. 

Fast forward to this decade and Steve has continued to put out and create great music.  The Genesis Three  seem to be more riding on their commercial laurels.  So be it.  Classical Genesis is still around to enjoy.  New Hackett is there if you can...

Having been a fan of Genesis for over 20 years now...I have to disagree with your comment above...

When the Genesis reunion was announced in November 2006; Phil Mike and Tony all asked Steve if he wanted to play on the Reunion tour.  Steve was interested, but the caviot was that Peter needed to be there; and Peter was off doing his recording for "Big Blue Ball"...

I also don't think that Phil Mike and Tony are "riding on their Commercial Laurels"...  the ENTIRE back catalogue of Genesis has been remastered over the past couple of years....NOT just the post-hackett released albums.

And Steve DID have success post Genesis...I am sure you remember GTR?  He was in that band and one of their biggest hits was "When the Heart Rules the Mind", which I believe was released right about the same time that IT was released by Genesis (1986)...Granted Hackett may not have been awarded any grammy, etc.  He was still successful in his own right.

Honestly, I still believe that Hackett left because he wasn't getting equal writing time in on Trick or Wuthering.  I think there are maybe two tracks co-written by Hackett on the W & W album (Blood on the Rooftops is one of them...)

Just my thoughts for their worth.
Bryan B.
Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
Saturdays 6AM-8AM Eastern
88.9 FM Class X Radio
www.classxradio.com
Cincinnati, Ohio

Encore Broadcasts
Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern
deliciousagony.com
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 13:21
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Gabriel?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 13:41
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

No problem... Phil's the band's real pillar.... Wink
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:48
Unquiet Slumbers...was split to give Hackett additional credits on the album, but not for financial reasons, merely to keep him in the band, unsuccessfully as it happens. Hackett just disagreed with the direction the band were going in. Both Genesis & Hackett went on to make further great LPs.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Hyardacil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 17:47
It could very well be greed, Not only monetary, but artistic one also, I guess.

After PG left he became the "hero" figure. The martyr. I think his departure has too much drama put on it.
"I am sitting in your eyes..."
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 18:33
I've never heard Steve or anyone saying he left because he disagreed with the direction the band were going or they were becoming commercial. It seems it was all about the songwriting contributions. After watching the dvds for the remasters and reading The book of revelation it's obvious the songwriting in the band was very competitive and every member wanted to put as much of their own stuff as they could on the albums, until Steve left cos obviously being only three people make it much easier to keep them all satisfied. Listening to their opinions about the albums and songs, it seemed to me that most of the times everyone in the band liked some particular song or album according to how much they contribute to it, anyone else had that impression?
I would say they were all greedy artistically speaking, at least Tony, Steve and Peter definitely were in my opinion.

Edited by SgtPepper67 - August 04 2009 at 18:45

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
sam81292 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 18:47
Originally posted by Hyardacil Hyardacil wrote:

It could very well be greed, Not only monetary, but artistic one also, I guess.

After PG left he became the "hero" figure. The martyr. I think his departure has too much drama put on it.

Exactly, I really ment he was becoming greedy artisticly, not so much because of money. I bet if he stayed, they would of still gone 'commercial' on the next few albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply