FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlooking to get some recording software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking to get some recording software
    Posted: August 04 2009 at 23:09
I am looking for some decent recording software. Can anyone give me any suggestions. I welcome any suggestions on midi controllers and stuff too. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 01:20
What?
siriusbliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 01:42
Samplitude Pro or Music Studio...
Samplitude.com

Greg
guitars 40 years. Progressive Fusion, Classical, Electronic, Ambient. MIDI guitar, MIDI Chapman Stick. Production studio near the beach.
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 04:36
I cannot recommend this unit highly enough as a synth module (it also becomes your computer sound card)

Take your choice on music suite- I use Sonar, but I can't say whether it is better or worse than any other.
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 07:23
I suggest you get a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Cubase, Logic or Ableton Live and a midi controller (Roland, Korg, CME...) with USB, and there you go!
If the cited DAWs are too expensive, you can get Magix Music Studio which was my first DAW. It's very efficient and easy to use, and it comes with a MIDI studio... I don't know how well they work together because I never used both for the same project. In most other DAW, MIDI sequencing, recording and VSTi are in the same interface as the rest of the audio....
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 07:49
^ Magix Music Studio is very good for the price, I use it quite a lot - however I've never used its Midi Studio for anything other than notation because I don't use MIDI.
What?
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 09:36
^That's because you are a keyboard player- us guitarists aren't. If you know how to notate they are great for adding keys, without having keyboard skills.
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 03:09
MIDI is essential for all musicians. Unless you are very lucky and have many many instruments, it's very difficult to make quality (prog) music today without using MIDI... Unless you have a Workstation keyboard from which you take all your sounds.
This is why I would recommend having a solid DAW from the start. They're not necessarly more difficult to get into than persay Magix Music Studio, but they offer a complete environment in which you can use MIDI and VSTi which are inevitable today.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 03:35
^ I believe the latest version of Magix studio (Magix Samplitude Music Studio 15) and supports VSTi, MIDI, ASIO, ReWire and DirtectX. I'm still using version 7 so I'm way out of date. Reaper (link above) is essentially the same price as Studio 15 if you take out the home use licence.

For multi-instrument tracking I use Reason, but I'd not necessarily recommend it in this instance as you'd still need some DAW software to record and mix your live instruments and vocals.
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 12:24
Samplitude Music Studio has every major DAW feature for low price, including score, etc., and integrates well with Samplitude Pro, which has all the high-end features of other DAWs on the market (like ProTools, Cubase, etc.).

I also occasionally use Ableton Live, but I find it too cumbersome for my workflow.

Greg
guitars 40 years. Progressive Fusion, Classical, Electronic, Ambient. MIDI guitar, MIDI Chapman Stick. Production studio near the beach.
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 02:14
I use Cubase4 + Reason 4 reWire + AU/VST, I find it to be a very handy solution...
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 15:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Magix Music Studio is very good for the price, I use it quite a lot - however I've never used its Midi Studio for anything other than notation because I don't use MIDI.

i've wrestled a bit with this, it records ok on audio (not MIDI) but having problems recording and monitoring seperate tracks without tracks 2,3 and 4 picking up everything from the previous tracks, track 1 is clean but the next one picks up stuff on track 2 from track 1 , track 3 picks up stuff from track 2   and so on...   using mixer for inputs and USB keyboard with Reason 3,  any suggestions? Confused

Prog Archives Tour Van
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 21:58
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

i've wrestled a bit with this, it records ok on audio (not MIDI) but having problems recording and monitoring seperate tracks without tracks 2,3 and 4 picking up everything from the previous tracks, track 1 is clean but the next one picks up stuff on track 2 from track 1 , track 3 picks up stuff from track 2   and so on...   using mixer for inputs and USB keyboard with Reason 3,  any suggestions? Confused

Not sure what's happening there Steve - I've got version 7 and haven't experienced anything like this.
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 23:25
What is your hardware interface, and what is your configuration?

In Music Studio, make sure you have different inputs set up when recording on multiple tracks.
Turn monitoring on on the previously recorded tracks as well.

Music Studio has had audio and MIDI, including score, VST handling, etc. since V10 or so, and it's now heading towards V16.

Samplitude Pro V11 has been released in Germany, and English release is due probably towards the end of August/Early September.

Greg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 06:51
In Music Studio, make sure you have different inputs set up when recording on multiple tracks.
Turn monitoring on on the previously recorded tracks as well.
...different inputs? am using the same soundcard input on all tracks, fed in from the 6-channel mixer.

if i set a track on record it picks up all the stuff on the preceding tracks, unless i turn the volume down or mute them, but with no monitoring am working "blind"..Confused

using Samplitude music studio 15 trial demo,   Mackie  DFX-6 mixer interface, with pc in/out from soundcard Audiophile 2496 connected  to Mackie CD/TAPE in/out. Audio (slider) inputs plus USB keyboard used with Reason, some great sounds there!

the first track  i.e. drums records  and plays back ok, but the second track picks up the drums from the previous track  - unless i mute the drums - but then i've got no live monitoring....Ermm

my problem is can this be live monitored without interfering with the track that is recording ?
basically the first tack records clean, but the second track down duplicates it exactly, the four completed tracks played together sound like they were recorded in a bathroom .

Edited by mystic fred - August 23 2009 at 09:49
Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 09:49
Then it seems you're recording the audio playback looped back through your mixer.!
WHen this happens, then yes, you'll end up with lots of phase errors and crosstalk EQ anomalies.

You have to find a way to isolate the playback monitoring from what your recording going into the computer.

Greg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 10:46
thanks Greg, but how does everybody else manage? Confused
Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 11:37
I record into the mixer/computer on certain channels, and listen out of audio mains while making sure the channels being recorded are not the same as what's being monitored.

You'll have to check your Mackie manual to see how to isolate what's coming in vs. what's going out.

Greg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 13:04
there are six channels though they all share the same exit ports...
each channel can be muted but then they can't be monitored Ermm

i tried moving the sound card out leads to a seperate amp but it sounded really gravelly, the set up i am using atm sounds the best but with the no-monitoring problem.

..maybe i should be looking at a proper recording interface..?

Edited by mystic fred - August 23 2009 at 14:27
Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 17:44
Yes, if you had a recording interface, like something from RME or M-Audio, etc., then you can still use your mixer for recording into MS via the interface, and then monitoring back through the interface without having to go back through your mixer.

Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>