Topic ClosedNew Kayak album: "Letters from Utopia" coming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Kayak album: "Letters from Utopia" coming
    Posted: August 07 2009 at 04:12
Hey Everyone,

the new Kayak 2cd will be in store in the beginning of september. Any thoughts and expectations?

The Stygian Heresy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 21:35
The last 3 discs I heard, Close to the Fire, Night Vision and Merlin (additions and orchestrations), all from the early 2000s, were fantastic, better than I could have hoped for, in spite of the partial absence of some of the key players in the very distinctive vocal department.  I cannot help but have extremely high expectations.   This band has, in latter days, grown into something mighty from sparser beginnings, just as Renaissance did--a band sound to mighty, full-blown, ofttimes over-the-top, orchestrated prog.

I love the fact that they've retained the beloved logo.    I may need to camp out, as ticket buyers do, in front of the door of my favorite internet seller on the day of release.
Matte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 15:25
Have anyone here heard it yet?
Kayak nowadays are a perfect example of prog-pop (with a symphonic touch). My expectations are high.

And what a great cover!!  Think about that on a vinyl....
3rdeye View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 12:33
it's an excellent new CD, much in the vein of it's predecsessor "Coming up for Air". Music wise it leans more on rock rather than focussing on the long spun symphonic musical outbursts.
The seven piece band clearly starts to evolve their qualities, it is therefor unfortunate the band will be dismantling and will seize to excist in the currentl ine up. Though not parting ways completely the weight of touring, recording and touring is to much for the members whom all have their own seperate careers alongside the band.

Still this is likely to be the most band concentrated effort in their 36 year long career! A must have for fans andm ust have for all that dig pompous, keyboard driven melodic rock focussing on close hamrony singing featuring two of the best vocalists in the genre. Reekers (who actually sung their hit "Ruthless Queen"in the odl days" in combination with Cindy Oudshoorn's wide and crystal clear voice, is a win win combination. On top you have Scherpenzeel and Koopman's (The President) craftmanship as songwriters combined with their excellent production capacities. AWESOME!
2CD release and still it's not enough!

Edwin
 Post Reply Post Reply