Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOKAY, WE HEARD YOU...BUT...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: OKAY, WE HEARD YOU...BUT...
    Posted: May 08 2005 at 22:31

All:

As you have undoubtedly noticed, as a result of the "uproar," the subgenre categories are gone; all have been subsumed into "Prog Music Lounge," which will remain the general area for prog music-related discussions.

Personally (i.e., not representing Max, Rony or the site), I think most of you were having a completely understandable "knee-jerk" reaction, and would have gotten used to the new categories.  Indeed, one of the reasons we did that was because, based on your comments, the majority of you felt that there were too many threads in the old "Main Discussions" category, which meant that threads created in the morning were already on Page 2 by the evening.  As well, many members commented that there were too many prog metal threads, relegating all the other threads to the bottom of Page 1, or to Page 2.

Apparently, our attempt to correct these problems (among other things) only led to new ones.  Two cliches come to mind: "The grass is always greener on the other side," and "You can't always get what you want."  Or, to mis-paraphrase Abe Lincoln: "You can satisfy some of the members all of the time, and all of the members some of the time, but you can't satisfy all of the members all of the time."  Having gone back to the "old" way at your strong request, we hope we will not hear complaints about threads disappearing to the nether regions too quickly, or too many prog-metal threads in "Prog Music Lounge."  We kept all the other features, since no one seemed to have any problem with them, and, indeed, many of you expressed support for them.

As noted in my previous announcement, we realize that there may be even more "tweaking" to be done, and we welcome all comments and suggestions in that regard.

Now, to quickly update the main points of the original site-use primer:

1.  "Prog Music Lounge" is for discussions regarding prog music.

2.  "Prog Polls" is for serious polls regarding prog music-related topics.

3.  "Non-Music Prog Lounge" is for discussions on non-music - but prog-related - topics such as lyrics, art, books, album covers, films, etc.

4.  "Welcome Newbies" is for new members to introduce themselves, and let us know what you listen to, and whether we can help "expand" your prog listening.

5.  "Polls" (under "Assorted") is for non-music-related polls of all types.

6.  "Non-Prog Music" is for discussions about classical, country, classic rock, rap - i.e., any genre, band or album not included on the site.  Please do not start these threads in "Main Discussions" or "Discussions Not Related to Music."

7.  "Just For Fun" is for all trivia games, jokes, riddles, etc.  Please do not start these threads in "Discussions Not Related to Music."

8.  "Get the Word Out" is for promoting yourself and your music.

9.  "Bands and Albums" is for all suggestions for adding new groups or albums to the site.  Please do not start these threads in "Prog Music Lounge" or "Discussions Not Related to Music."

As you get more comfortable with the site, let us know how you find it, and what you think still needs "tweaking."  Those comments and suggestions should go in "Forums and General" (under "Suggestions & News").

We hope that those of you who had smoke coming out of your ears will take a few deep breaths (and a pint or two?), and relax again.

Peace.

Maani
On behalf of the Admin Group

Edited by maani
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 22:37
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 00:46

Maani wrote:

Quote Personally (i.e., not representing Max, Rony or the site), I think most of you were having a completely understandable "knee-jerk" reaction, and would have gotten used to the new categories.  Indeed, one of the reasons we did that was because, based on your comments, the majority of you felt that there were too many threads in the old "Main Discussions" category, which meant that threads created in the morning were already on Page 2 by the evening.  As well, many members commented that there were too many prog metal threads, relegating all the other threads to the bottom of Page 1, or to Page 2.

Hey Maani, the idea of taking some of the threads from the overcrowded Main Discussion was good, the problem was the idea of completely eliminating the prog' lounge.

Both systems well could have coexisted (As I said in my post) but honestly I still prefer the return to the original system because we can discuss and learn of more bands without having to jump from one sub-gender to another.

Anyway, thanks for your effort in making this place better and listening us.

Iván

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 01:27

I agree with Ivan on that.  Not only for us, the members who have been here a while, but what about newbies who want to talk about their bands and couldn't find the right discusion forum? I had never really paid attention to all the labels because I like so many different things and they are all prog to me.    There are a lot of bands that cross genres on every album. Would it just be a whim where they were placed? Geese, I know all three of you are knowledgeable  but you can't have time to listen to every band here not to mention the new ones being requested for additon. 

Thanks for all your efforts though.I

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 02:27
MUCH better
geezer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 02:27
I actually liked the new changes. 

The main problem for me is that there is very, very much prog metal threads.

How about two lounges:

"Progressive Rock Lounge"

"Progressive Metal Lounge"

This change would make a huge difference.

Just a suggestion...
Poxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 05:12

That was a horrible desicion to remove the subgenre forums. What possible harm could the subgenres cause, as long as the main prog forum remains open for anything prog? There's no logic or even a reason for bringing them down other than: "by strong requests".

What about just letting all the posts/threads that are posted in the subgenre forums also be visible in the main forum? Problem solved, everyone is happy. Many other game and movie forums around the net uses this system.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 14:11
Thanks Maani, I can appreciate the quandry, and the need to find a balance, but I think good sense has prevailed.
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 14:26
Originally posted by geezer geezer wrote:

How about two lounges:

Just a suggestion...

YES!

This is exactly what I would've suggested, and I'm glad to already see it here. This is probably the most obviously identifiable subgenres, and one that also generates a large amount of discussions. It's one that I don't imagine people would argue as to what threads do and do not belong there, in most cases.

It would really help me to have the prog metal threads all in one place because that's what so many (but NOT all) of my favorite prog bands are. I'd also be willing to help with the sort if necessary.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 16:50
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 18:30
You could have kept the Featured CD section. Otherwise, .
Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 19:28
i liked the idea of the sub genres, i was just about to write about krautrock and why it rock behond all other threads, but then the subgeneres were deleted before i could do it!
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 19:37

Cygnus:

Your wish has been granted!

Peace.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 19:57
Originally posted by Eddy Eddy wrote:

i liked the idea of the sub genres, i was just about to write about krautrock and why it rock behond all other threads, but then the subgeneres were deleted before i could do it!

You can still write about krautrock Eddy, I just think the chances anyone reading it have improved by a tenfold, are you still up to it

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 22:27

Originally posted by geezer geezer wrote:

How about two lounges:

Just a suggestion...

My thoughts exactly.  That way, the people who listen to progressive metal just because it is metal, and not because it is progressive can be seperate from the people who listen to progressive rock because it is progressive.  We'll have less ELP haters on our hands that way, and less people who would wear a Pink Floyd t-shirt one day and a Slayer t-shirt the next.  These people don't seem to get along well with the people who wear a Pink Floyd t-shirt because they were actually at the corresponding show.

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 22:43
Originally posted by Syntharachnid Syntharachnid wrote:

My thoughts exactly. That way, the people who listen to progressive metal just because it is metal, and not because it is progressive can be seperate from the people who listen to progressive rock because it is progressive. We'll have less ELP haters on our hands that way, and less people who would wear a Pink Floyd t-shirt one day and a Slayer t-shirt the next. These people don't seem to get along well with the people who wear a Pink Floyd t-shirt because they were actually at the corresponding show.

Ahem, aren't we stereotyping a little bit?

First off, who says all the ELP haters come from the prog-metal group? As for me, I can't give an opinion of ELP because I've never heard any. Not sure I even want to, though, seeing the behavior that surrounds it on both the pro and con side. I have ENOUGH trouble just from being of an "in-between" opinion on Dream Theater!

Who says all prog-metallers listen to it JUST because it's metal and don't care about the progressive element whatsoever? Certainly untrue for me! I started with Pink Floyd but really found my prog-niche with prog metal. I listen to it for BOTH reasons. With metal I pretty much stick to prog and power.

And what's wrong with wearing a Pink Floyd shirt one day and (in my case) a Killswitch Engage shirt the next? It doesn't make me an automatic idiot or jerk or whatever. And it's not like I do it just for looking cool...I genuinely like both styles, and I can hold my own just fine with a bunch of Floyd fans. And did it not occur to you that a LOT of people are quite simply too young to have seen a Floyd show? And that's certainly not their fault...that's really thanks to the band's inaction and don't-give-a-rip attitude. But just because I am young, it doesn't mean I don't know my stuff and cannot appreciate the music. PF came first. Then some other prog...then metal. This is why I use a Floydian name and a metal avatar, because I genuinely like and appreciate both.

Please, do not broadbrush people; this really drives me up the wall. Would you like me to broadbrush all Pink Floyd fans as stoners when I know very well that's not the case? I think we should all keep our stereotypes to ourselves. It's getting REALLY old and makes this forum very unpleasant for a lot of people.

Edited by FloydWright
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 04:50
Some interesting threads get lost next day (somewhere to page 3) and nobody reads it anymore... I liked the subgenres categories better! Threads were easier to find because now a lot of different threads are mixed on several pages...
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 14:45
I was on holiday and now the house is all cleaned up.Nice, it takes more "effort " to see what is happening, but it's worth it, IMHO the posts are going to be more directed and specifique.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 17:30
Too bad.  YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST AFRAID OF CHANGES AND NOT WILLING TO GIVE SOMETHING NEW A CHANCE! I am dissappointed. Most of you turn out to be not as PROGRESSIVE as you claim to be.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 21:18
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Too bad.  YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST AFRAID OF CHANGES AND NOT WILLING TO GIVE SOMETHING NEW A CHANCE! I am dissappointed. Most of you turn out to be not as PROGRESSIVE as you claim to be.

Not quite true Joren. I understand why you thought it was a good plan to subdivise the different threads in specific genre related forums, but try to see it my way.

I like to read (not nesseceraly write in) threads about bands I know little to nothing about. When those threads dissapear in a forum I hardly ever visit (Kraut rock, prog metal, or obscure prog) I will not easily get into such a discussion and might miss out on something I might want to learn/know about.

Also the huge number of different forums clouded the page, and it was hard to keep track on threads I already read, and I found myself rereading posts that i already had read some times before.

I think we could have given it a longer try, that's why I hardly complained about it the first day. But the way it is now has my full support.

Still I support you, and think you are right when you say it wasn't all wrong. The subdivision had an advantage in searching on genre related threads/subjects which now dissappears.

Maybe it should be a possibility to give Threads not only a name, but also a sub-name, declaring which kind of thread it's supposed to be, dividing the subtitles in subgenres, with an additional title like cross-genre, or not genre related (choose from a difinite list of subtitles).

for excample.

Thread title: Why don't i like Dream Theater
Sub-title/genre: Prog-metal.

Than the forum can have it's subdivision, without scattering the forum to bits, and for people interested can sort the forum on subtitle. just a thought

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>