Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOKAY, WE HEARD YOU...BUT...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 01:35

Agree with Tuxon, but I might add something:

This is a discussion forum, not only for fans and experts of a determined band or genre, but for everybody to learn, if there were only subgenre divisons and not a prog lounge, subgenre sections will become to technicall and complex  for a normal use, I assure you I would never post or visit Zeuhl or Prog Metal, but now I have the chance to give my opinion and even whine sometimes.

Also for example Prog Metal section would turn into a Dream Theater fan club, but if all prog' is in one section, we all have the chance to read and even contribute to a thread about Symphony X or Fantomas without having to deal only with experts of the genre and dig through 150 threads about DT which is almost the exclusive band mentioned in that genre,

The way the Forum is now gives everybody the chance to learn more and to allows the participation of all members.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 05:35
Tuxon and Ivan: If you'd like to LEARN, then just visit the threads in subgenresubforums that you know little about! Is it that hard?
Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 07:04
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I agree with Ivan on that.  Not only for us, the members who have been here a while, but what about newbies who want to talk about their bands and couldn't find the right discusion forum? I had never really paid attention to all the labels because I like so many different things and they are all prog to me.    There are a lot of bands that cross genres on every album. Would it just be a whim where they were placed? Geese, I know all three of you are knowledgeable  but you can't have time to listen to every band here not to mention the new ones being requested for additon. 

Thanks for all your efforts though.I

I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 10:44
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Also for example Prog Metal section would turn into a Dream Theater fan club, but if all prog' is in one section, we all have the chance to read and even contribute to a thread about Symphony X or Fantomas without having to deal only with experts of the genre and dig through 150 threads about DT which is almost the exclusive band mentioned in that genre,

While I do think there'd be a good bit of DT stuff, try to remember that not all of the threads could've been moved over to the Prog Metal board were moved at the time the sections were separated. There was an Ayreon thread I'd been working on at one point (a few of them, actually) that were never moved. I think they stopped moving threads mid-process because of the complaints.

I also have to wonder if the number of DT duplicate threads would actually drop because the fans would have their existing threads more easily accessible?

Edited by FloydWright
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 14:21
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Tuxon and Ivan: If you'd like to LEARN, then just visit the threads in subgenresubforums that you know little about! Is it that hard?

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 08:27

A few problems with that, Joren;

1) If people don't know too much about a particular subgenre, they are less likely to visit a separate forum on the topic than investigate an ongoing thread on it in a single main forum. The willingness to learn is not enough.

2) No-one comes here principally to learn, surely? I would have thought that most people come here to have a good time and discuss prog music in all its forms.

3) Subdividing Prog into subgenres is divisive. It's bad enough as it stands, without enforcing some kind of artificial additional subdivisions.

4) No-one agrees on what prog is, let alone the subgenres! You might be clear in your own mind what the subgenres are - but I bet I'd find reasons to disagree...

Edited by Certif1ed
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 10:21

If I want to "learn" about a band or type of prog,I go to the reviews section or the Featured CD Area  of the forum....

I go on the forum to discuss prog music in general,but above all else,to have FUN !Wink

People like DallasBryan are very knowledgable but it is the preachy nature of those posts that put me off !

Stern Smile

Yanns View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 17:51
Of course, thanks for everything Maani.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 19:49
I like it. Much more organised.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 23:46
Yony R wrote:
Quote If I want to "learn" about a band or type of prog,I go to the reviews section or the Featured CD Area  of the forum....

I go on the forum to discuss prog music in general,but above all else,to have FUN !Wink

People like DallasBryan are very knowledgable but it is the preachy nature of those posts that put me off !

I started with Internet around 98 or 99, and by that time I only knew about 10 or 20 progressive bands at the most.

I joined at least 10 forums since them and learned about more than 100 bands. It's true that reviews and Prog' enciclopedias help a lot, but in my case a healthy discusion of two or more experts about a determined band can teach me a lot.

For example, I heard Dallas Bryan talking about DUN-Eros and instantly searched for a couple of songs, now I'm waiting for my CD that I bought last week.

It's also a fact that I come to the forums to have fun.

Joren wrote:

Quote Tuxon and Ivan: If you'd like to LEARN, then just visit the threads in subgenre sub forums that you know little about! Is it that hard?

No it's not hard Joren, but it's human that you'll visit much more a forum about the genre that you like most, in my case 90% of my visits will be to the Symphonic forum and I'm sure that would almost never visit a Zeuhl forum for example.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 05:57
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

If I want to "learn" about a band or type of prog,I go to the reviews section or the Featured CD Area  of the forum....

Stern Smile

DallasBryan, Dick Heath, Phillippe and the rest of you who present all these obscure bands here - PLEASE don't get any less 'preachy'! Keep those whose recognition is long overdue coming! I really appreciate what you do

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 15:20
Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

Originally posted by Syntharachnid Syntharachnid wrote:

My thoughts exactly. That way, the people who listen to progressive metal just because it is metal, and not because it is progressive can be seperate from the people who listen to progressive rock because it is progressive. We'll have less ELP haters on our hands that way, and less people who would wear a Pink Floyd t-shirt one day and a Slayer t-shirt the next. These people don't seem to get along well with the people who wear a Pink Floyd t-shirt because they were actually at the corresponding show.

Ahem, aren't we stereotyping a little bit?

First off, who says all the ELP haters come from the prog-metal group? As for me, I can't give an opinion of ELP because I've never heard any. Not sure I even want to, though, seeing the behavior that surrounds it on both the pro and con side. I have ENOUGH trouble just from being of an "in-between" opinion on Dream Theater!

Who says all prog-metallers listen to it JUST because it's metal and don't care about the progressive element whatsoever? Certainly untrue for me! I started with Pink Floyd but really found my prog-niche with prog metal. I listen to it for BOTH reasons. With metal I pretty much stick to prog and power.

And what's wrong with wearing a Pink Floyd shirt one day and (in my case) a Killswitch Engage shirt the next? It doesn't make me an automatic idiot or jerk or whatever. And it's not like I do it just for looking cool...I genuinely like both styles, and I can hold my own just fine with a bunch of Floyd fans. And did it not occur to you that a LOT of people are quite simply too young to have seen a Floyd show? And that's certainly not their fault...that's really thanks to the band's inaction and don't-give-a-rip attitude. But just because I am young, it doesn't mean I don't know my stuff and cannot appreciate the music. PF came first. Then some other prog...then metal. This is why I use a Floydian name and a metal avatar, because I genuinely like and appreciate both.

Please, do not broadbrush people; this really drives me up the wall. Would you like me to broadbrush all Pink Floyd fans as stoners when I know very well that's not the case? I think we should all keep our stereotypes to ourselves. It's getting REALLY old and makes this forum very unpleasant for a lot of people.

Apologies, sombody has already set me straight in another thread.  Just so that you know, I'm only fourteen myself, and have never seen a Pink Floyd show.  I justified my comment by thinking to myself "Hey, I can say that, because I don't wear Floyd t-shirts!"

All the same, that last post was very wrong of me.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 18:32

Manunkind:

I second that emotion!!

Peace.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 19:18
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Manunkind:

I second that emotion!!

Peace.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Dallasbryan's "heart is not in the right place" just that his methods are rather over-bearing.I hope I made my peace with him long ago,after I realised his true purpose
Dallas and Heathy are wonderfully knowledgeable and are an asset and a credit to the forum.Clap

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 22:34
Originally posted by Syntharachnid Syntharachnid wrote:

Apologies, sombody has already set me straight in another thread.  Just so that you know, I'm only fourteen myself, and have never seen a Pink Floyd show.  I justified my comment by thinking to myself "Hey, I can say that, because I don't wear Floyd t-shirts!"

All the same, that last post was very wrong of me.

Thank you very much for the apology...that was very mature of you and I appreciate it. Takes guts to do that in public and I think people could learn from the example.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 13:46
What is the "but" for????
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 13:52
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

1) If people don't know too much about a particular subgenre, they are less likely to visit a separate forum on the topic than investigate an ongoing thread on it in a single main forum. The willingness to learn is not enough.

2) No-one comes here principally to learn, surely? I would have thought that most people come here to have a good time and discuss prog music in all its forms.

3) Subdividing Prog into subgenres is divisive. It's bad enough as it stands, without enforcing some kind of artificial additional subdivisions.

4) No-one agrees on what prog is, let alone the subgenres! You might be clear in your own mind what the subgenres are - but I bet I'd find reasons to disagree...

1) If the willingness to learn is not enough to make a little effort, then they shouldn't. I'm lazy, and even I am willing to get used to a new model.

2) Yes, and with a subdivision in subgenres, they can easily navigate to their favourite style

3,4) you can check the subdivision used on the homepage. In a few days, you'll be used to the subdivision we use here. No big deal.

So, what's the problem?

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 15:13
Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

sit on it

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 15:59

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

1) If the willingness to learn is not enough to make a little effort, then they shouldn't. I'm lazy, and even I am willing to get used to a new model.

Shouldn't what????

Yes, we need a new model - but we need the right one; one that is intuitive to new users and comforatble to more senior users, and offers the right dynamic. I don't think we've achieved it yet - it's gone too far in the "sprawling" direction.

2) Yes, and with a subdivision in subgenres, they can easily navigate to their favourite style

But why split it at all - it's all prog (except prog metal). What if there are only 5 posts on Prog Folk and 500 posts on prog metal? That'll give the impression that this site is more geared towards the latter. By containing all the genres, members can maintain a balance - by complaining about the excessive prog metal posts, if necessary. The balance soon returns - which it never will if you split everyone up.

3,4) you can check the subdivision used on the homepage. In a few days, you'll be used to the subdivision we use here. No big deal.

That doesn't stop it being devisive - you mustn't imagine that everyone thinks like you or embraces these subdivisions. I certainly don't - "Art Rock", for example, is a complete nonsense "genre" - it's not even a real genre, IMO, as many people see prog rock as a subgenre of art rock AND vice versa.

The descriptions on our home page are hopelessy inadequate still - I'm working on some better ones, using Wikipedia as a spring board. Prog Archives description has been more or less lifted from there - but you'll notice some "nice" differences between what's on this site and what's on Wikipedia now, including all that rubbish about Radiohead having been removed.

I'm going to submit some major changes soon, which I believe will describe prog rock properly.

So, what's the problem?

I'm finding the forum MUCH harder to navigate now there are all these new subforums - it feels bigger, and yet more cluttered. It seems harder to find anything these days - and that's after only a week or so.

That's the problem.

Unless I'm the only one having it...

Edited by Certif1ed
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 17:53

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

sit on it

Funniest replay ever, thanks