Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many books have you read?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Poll Question: How many books have you read?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.02%]
1 [1.02%]
7 [7.14%]
6 [6.12%]
81 [82.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 01:45
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It looks like Excel Micah.

fixed. Wink

And thanks. Gotta look into it. 

Nowadays, I use Open Office Calc and Lighter toned Windows XP settings, but back then, I used MS Excel and Darker theme.

Do you know / like any of these books ?

Well, based on the portions of that list I could actually read, it seems we both share a love for Fantasy. I'm certainly aware of several books on your list, but am by no means an expert on the genre as a whole. If you ever feel like exchanging some personal favorites, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Wink
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 03:04

Indeed, I will remember.

Anyway, the more we read, the more we general knowledge we have, it's the same as with Prog.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Rabid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 08:29
This is truly a 'double-edged sword....the older generation criticise the younger generation for not reading enough, but when the old 'uns were growing up, books were the main source of learning. Trouble with that is that trees are needed to make the paper, and most people are aware of the ecological impact of cutting down too many trees at once. Nowadays, we've got the Net.....but who reads book sized files? Reading a book on the Net just is'nt feasible for most people..who wants to spend a week staring at a monitor?

A sign of a good book is 'one that you can't put down 'til it's finished...I can't see many people returning to their PC to finish an 'online' book, with the same determination...and, with so much info on the Net, it's easy to get side-tracked by other things.

Point of note....unsuccesful books get pulped, and the major use of pulped books is toilet paper.
I guess you don't have to give a bad review, in order to get your point across, these days.
Soft and strong, and very long.

Personally, I prefer paper books. Just seems to be more 'intimate', to me. Each to their own tho'...
I'm sure that people who don't read books have some other interest, instead.

Read hundreds....any subject....before I got distracted by the Net. ...but books are still my third-favorite pastime for when I'm in bed.

I'll let you guess what the other two are. Geek

"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 09:49
I'm probably coming too late in the thread that it matters anymore, but I have difficulties reading for even medium length on a monitor......... so I'm a fan of paper books, just like I prefer a vinyl or Cd to MP3

- I read many dozens of Franco-Belgian "comics" (bad word for Bandes Dessinées) or graphic novels (usually fictions) per year (I hate US Marvel suoper-heroes and Mangas, though)
- I read a few dozens of mags (news,history and geopoliical, music/arts)
- I read roughly between 7 and 12  books relating to music (mostly biographies and critical overviews)
- I read maybe one or two fiction novel/year
- I try to read the newspaper everyday, but I admit I tend to skip this sometimes and more frequently recently.

And I'm not counting the professional reading I must do for my job. >> but this is the only time I will read a book on a monitor (outside my web activities)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 11:24
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 12:14
>100. Favourite author... Charles Dickens.
Geizao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 06:18

>100. I had re-read SHOGUN by James Clavell. And I like J.L. Borges, and many more.
CyberDiablo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 08:42
More than a thousand. (Seriously, I mean it.)
Music is some kind of art.
-- Anonymous
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 09:04
Ermm I don't know -- must be well over a thousand by now . Geek

Edited by Peter - June 11 2010 at 22:15
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 10:10
Originally posted by Rabid Rabid wrote:

This is truly a 'double-edged sword....the older generation criticise the younger generation for not reading enough, but when the old 'uns were growing up, books were the main source of learning. Trouble with that is that trees are needed to make the paper, and most people are aware of the ecological impact of cutting down too many trees at once. Nowadays, we've got the Net.....but who reads book sized files? Reading a book on the Net just is'nt feasible for most people..who wants to spend a week staring at a monitor?
  Geek

The problem is also that books are extremely expensive nowadays. I'm not sure, but I think they didn't use to be so expensive.

Take my city, Pilsen. I visit public library here quite often, it's great source of books and I'm trying to buy these that I like after I read them. But I was looking on list of books bought for 2010 (huge list) and about 1/3 of them were these historical romance craps (you know, often about lords and ladies & horses), the kind that Danielle Steel writes. And shocking is that people actually read this.

I've tried to read Twilight. Tried. Unsuccessfully :-D

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 12:51
Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

Amazing.  That means that you can read a book in two minutes, and that only counts if you have been reading your entire life.  Congrats for being the world's most efficient reader.Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 13:14
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

Amazing.  That means that you can read a book in two minutes, and that only counts if you have been reading your entire life.  Congrats for being the world's most efficient reader.Clap

Big smileLOL
LOL
-- Anonymous
Progist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 13:18
I'm surprised that 100 is the highest in the poll?

I reckon 500, at a rough estimate, maybe more?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 13:35
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

The problem is also that books are extremely expensive nowadays. I'm not sure, but I think they didn't use to be so expensive.

Take my city, Pilsen. I visit public library here quite often, it's great source of books and I'm trying to buy these that I like after I read them. But I was looking on list of books bought for 2010 (huge list) and about 1/3 of them were these historical romance craps (you know, often about lords and ladies & horses), the kind that Danielle Steel writes. And shocking is that people actually read this.

I've tried to read Twilight. Tried. Unsuccessfully :-D

You are so lucky. Here, the local city library is full of crap. And the book prices are extremely high (a book; aprox. 15$, an album; aprox. 20$). Also lots of books are banned or not sold without a reason. This is why I rent books underground. I don't support piracy much but I have to use pirate books. (Fight for culture!)
-- Anonymous
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:03
To those who complain about book prices - What's wrong with using libraries ? (and the guy who buys books after he reads the library copy - what the point of doing so ?) .
I think there is no reason to buy most books (there are some exceptions of corse) and also this way there are much less trees to cut to print those books (and also we should all follow the Canadian rule that each time you cut a tree you must seed a new one).
I suspect the illogical idea of self property (illogical when it comes to books) plays a major role here.
omri
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

To those who complain about book prices - What's wrong with using libraries ? (and the guy who buys books after he reads the library copy - what the point of doing so ?) .
I think there is no reason to buy most books (there are some exceptions of corse) and also this way there are much less trees to cut to print those books (and also we should all follow the Canadian rule that each time you cut a tree you must seed a new one).
I suspect the illogical idea of self property (illogical when it comes to books) plays a major role here.

For me it's generally easier to just buy a book than try to find it at the library, the local library is somewhat lacking.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:12
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

For me it's generally easier to just buy a book than try to find it at the library, the local library is somewhat lacking.
That's what I'm trying to say!
-- Anonymous
TwoOneOneTwo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 01:04
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Anyone who holds a higher opinion of himself just because he reads more than another person is a stuck up brat.

Agreed. It just means you have more spare time. I would love to spend more time reading, but there are only 24 hours in a day right.

But >100 for me.
Rush - Time Machine Tour - August 7th in Seattle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567