Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Ovals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ovals
    Posted: August 09 2009 at 07:59
G'day,

I'm David, I play keys and sing for 'TheOvals' and I would like to submit the band for consideration to the site.

We are certainly not a 'signed' band, but we self-funded our first EP this year and gig where we can around some of the various delightful nooks of Melbourne's live music scene, offering something different from the more 'mainstream' bands that often occupy the stages. We recorded the four tracks in a lodge in beautiful Mt. Baw Baw in Victoria, Australia which is about 4 hours drive from Melbourne, and it all turned out very well considering the logistic issues. It was mastered by Adam Dempsey at Jack the Bear's mastering in Melbourne which has a great reputation and has handled releases from artists such as Nick Cave.

The EP is titled 'Innerspace' and is available via contact with the band ([email protected]) but will soon be available online. Two songs from the EP are up on our myspace page (the first two listed on the myspace player-thing).

It is fairly space-rocky, with influences from Kraut and art-rock. Our biggest influences are probably Pink Floyd, The Nice, Radiohead, the doors

Thanks for the space here and any consideration that may follow.

Edited by sidereal - March 02 2010 at 22:47
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 13:04
well done, David! Smile

yes - your music has a spacey note of course - definetely not mainstream - and I guess you're a Nice fan, aren't you? An interesting blend of styles in any case.

As for the inclusion you're right - we have to consider that you are an unsigned band actually what I can see - even not selling your music via download platforms etc. I think we have to wait what will come ... looking forward to hear more from you ...

sidereal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 00:09

Thanks Rivertree,

We are currently working on the commercial side of things, download platforms etc, getting some ep's in independent cd stores etc. Will get back to you soon.

We love the nice!
sidereal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 22:14
Ok, hello guys, back and ready to re-submit! (perhaps for space rock?)

We've been busy. We're:

-Now on CDbaby.com: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/Ovals
-Being sold at some local independents cd stores around Melbourne, Australia (see our myspace).
-Waiting on the second pressing of our first EP 'inner space' with updated artwork (first pressing is gone), which the french prog label MUSEA records (http://musearecords.com/) have offered to add to their catalogue.
-Still Gigging frequently, burrowing into the vibrant melbourne scene, new recording mid-year

http://www.myspace.com/theovals

Edited by sidereal - March 02 2010 at 22:45
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 02:55
Hi, David@Ovals, I've checked your debut mp3 album just now. Smile

Psychedelic keyboard & guitar riffs with beautifully melancholic moonshine and manifest spacey attacks...especially "Elements Outside My Control" I like...a wonderful album methinks.

Let me take your outfit on our (Psychedelic Prog / Space Rock) hometown alright? Cool
sidereal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 17:16
Thanks Damo!
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 16:49
WOW! - I like what I hear (myspace songs) - no doubt ... this band deserves to be here - however, the appropriate category is hard to define

the dominant elements are space rock and canterbury imo .. more in the vein of Gong and similar ... impressing ...

sidereal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 19:45
Thanks Rivertree!

Do you folks need any of the following stuff?
  • necessary information
    please provide some full songs (no clips/excerpts) with acceptable quality (not less than 128 k/bits) for evaluation and streaming. If you want to send a promo CD you'll get back a reply containing a valid postal address. These samples will of course only made available for streaming with permission from copyright holders.

• helpful information

- band biography (in english)
    - an artist picture with a scale of 500 pixel as possible
    - the complete band/artist discography (album titles, cover art, line-up, tracklisting plus track times) as possible

"Without music life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 17:47
Hi, David@Ovals!

The Ovals will be approved by Psychedelic Prog / Space Rock Team and added in Progarchives library anytime soon ... when the time comes, please send your info and give your permission to provide some of your song samples here.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 18:31
... And The Ovals has been added in Psychedelic Prog/Space Rock library. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply