Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - David Bowie VS Elton John (there late 60s and 70s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie VS Elton John (there late 60s and 70s

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: who of the iconic Rock artists do you like moust
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [68.18%]
4 [18.18%]
3 [13.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Bowie VS Elton John (there late 60s and 70s
    Posted: August 09 2009 at 18:32
both are highly respected, batled drugs, delt with fame, both born in 1947, both had ther primetime in the early 70s both have done som progressive rock.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 18:36
i voted both (i could not disede who i like best) both are awsome.

but i think for inovativeness Bowie is far superior, while i think Elton is a better composer for melodies, there albums from 1969 - 75 are just impressingly good
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 18:39
I've always been more partial to Bowie, as evidenced by the fact that I have all of his albums (including the two tin machine albums) except for the labyrinth soundtrack and let's dance, but only have one elton john album.  And I think Bowie aged much better than John, as Bowie's 80's, 90's and 00's music (leaving out let's dance) was far superior to anything John put out after the end of the 70's. 

But, sticking to the 60's/70's stuff, you have Alladin Sane, Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Low, Heroes, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, etc., etc., etc. vs. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and a few other cool tunes. 

Edited by The Doctor - August 09 2009 at 18:42
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Concentration Moon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 18:48
As much as I've tried, I have never liked Elton John's music. I love Bowie though.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 19:39
Elton John's best work was around this time, where as Bowie's best (to me at least) happened later in the 70's (namely Low). Still, Bowie wins for me.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 00:30
S/t, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, Yellow Brick Road, Brown Dirt Cowboy...

Elton John is the master.
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 18:34
I'm more a Bowie fan but I voted for both cos they're really great. Bowie was more innovative and original but Elton had amazing melodies and was a great piano player. I saw Elton live in January in Buenos Aires and it was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen, I hope I have the chance to see Bowie some time.

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 18:38
Bowie, easily. 
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 18:51

David didn't follow trends, he set them; whereas Elton found his niche and excelled in it. David's discography is the most varied and entertaining out there. Even looking at strictly late 60's and 70's material, my vote goes for David Bowie for amazing albums like The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladin Sane. Not to mention, Elton's post '75 material isn't near the level of the Berlin Trilogy

angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 23:13
David Bowie for sure. i am big fan of him , variety .. he creates his own unique style..unlike elton .. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 01:28
Definitely Bowie. I've never cared much for Elton John. He's written a few great pop songs and lots of nice but uninteresting pop songs.
ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 18:01

Strange poll. Bowie has my vote of course. I only like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road " from Elton John. And by the way, he didn't do anything worth in the sixties (only one album which was a complete flop).

Anyway, Bowie's discography shows a lot more diversity, creativity and inventiveness.

An easy poll after all...
ZowieZiggy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 18:09
^
this is from wikipedia off Eltons carear in the 60s i dont know if this is coperated

Early career (1962–1969)

At the age of 15, with the help of mother Sheila and stepfather "Derf", Reginald Dwight became a weekend pianist at the nearby Northwood Hills pub, playing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Known simply as "Reggie" (a small, unassuming name in Britain), he played everything from Jim Reeves country songs "He'll Have to Go" to Irish tribute numbers "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling," old pub favourites such as, "Roll Out The Barrel," hits of the day, "King of the Road," and songs he had written himself.[14] He received a modest, steady income and substantial tips. "During that whole period, I don't think I ever missed a gig," he said later. A stint with a short-lived group called the Corvettes rounded out his time.

In 1964, Dwight and his friends formed a band called Bluesology. By day, he ran errands for a music publishing company; he divided his nights between solo gigs at a London hotel bar and working with Bluesology. By the mid-1960s, Bluesology was backing touring American soul and R&B musicians like The Isley Brothers, Major Lance, Billy Stewart, Doris Troy and Patti LaBelle and The Bluebelles. It was during this period that Dwight first heard Music from Big Pink—he would derive much of his compositional thinking from stagecraft picked up in the 1970s, but it was learning how fully the blues could be played which was a "turning point in his life".[14][contradiction] In 1966, the band became musician Long John Baldry's supporting band and began touring cabarets in England.

After failing lead vocalist auditions for King Crimson[15] and Gentle Giant, Dwight answered an advertisement in the New Musical Express placed by Ray Williams, then the A&R manager for Liberty Records. At their first meeting, Williams gave Dwight a stack of lyrics written by Bernie Taupin, who had answered the same ad. Dwight wrote music for the lyrics, and then mailed it to Taupin, and thus began a partnership that continues to this day. In 1967, what would become the first Elton John/Bernie Taupin song, "Scarecrow", was recorded; when the two first met, six months later, Dwight was going by the American-sounding[14] name "Elton John", in homage to Bluesology saxophonist Elton Dean and Long John Baldry.

The team of John and Taupin joined Dick James's DJM Records as staff songwriters in 1968, and over the next two years wrote material for various artists, like Roger Cook and Lulu. Taupin would write a batch of lyrics in under an hour and give it to John, who would write music for them in half an hour, disposing of the lyrics if he couldn't come up with anything quickly. For two years, they wrote easy-listening tunes for James to peddle to singers. Their early output included an entry for British song for the Eurovision Song Contest in 1969, called "Can't Go On (Living Without You)". It came sixth of six songs.[16]

During this period, John also played on sessions for other artists including playing piano on The Hollies' "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" and singing backing vocals for The Scaffold.[17] On the advice of music publisher Steve Brown, John and Taupin started writing more complex songs for John to record for DJM. The first was the single "I've Been Loving You" (1968), produced by Caleb Quaye, former Bluesology guitarist. In 1969, with Quaye, drummer Roger Pope, and bassist Tony Murray, John recorded another single, "Lady Samantha", and an album, Empty Sky. Despite extraordinary reviews, none of the records sold well.

Post Reply Post Reply