Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 39>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:46
Partly, and sadly enough, yes. But I also live in a rural area that gets limited radio stations. I finally convinced my wife to try waking to CBC so we've been doing that for the last month. While they don't really play music, it is way better on our psyche

Edited by JD - March 23 2015 at 12:26
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 11:03
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

Progressive Rock is for people who require a bit more from their music.  Many people just want nice tunes, and/or something they can dance to.  They aren't looking for music which provides an atmosphere.  Honestly, it's probably the same reason a lot of people don't listen to free jazz or classical music.  They find it meandering or boring.  True emotional thrust, above and beyond basic (often trite) lyrics is not something they look for.

The only time I witness most people in society liking Jazz or Classical music is when they are watching a popular movie. Jazz or Classical will often take on a role in a scene where it's notes build upon a certain character in the film. As a result....a majority of people will remember these notes and the melody they play. In the real world, they are listening and retaining the sound of Jazz and Classical music , but through a film and not through a direct musical introduction. The majority of people are introduced to Jazz and Classical music through it's common usage as a "sideline" in film scores. Music education is boring to most people and even some of the more "down to earth" instruction methods for instruments on youtube contain "short cuts" for people who play in bands and lack in the areas of perfecting technique...so what does that mean? Is it really crafted for short attention span musicians? This is all due to regression.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:31
Threads like this.
samus88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 18:13
Why are half of the replies on this thread people dissing on those who reply "seriously"?

If we can't talk about prog rock and its impact (or lack ther of) on the world, then why the FOCus whould we even have it in the first place?
Can you tell me where my country lies?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 03:47
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by Terakonin Terakonin wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I remmember that at the time when I was a kid in middle 70s that people who didn't like to listen prog rock that they were about it as "it's a sad music" or "too psycho", rather than "boring". I think the reason is that back then all young people were listening to some rock music; if not prog, it was Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Southern Rock... and all of that was more of less a good stuff although not prog as the most artistic rock genre ever.
Today, the music is ghettoised so much that all the kinds of music are more and more "boring" just if it fall outside of our own personal taste and (or) our circle of friends.

I agree. Screw finding other prog fans, I can't find other rock fans.

Rock is dead
Rock is not dead. Not yet...
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 11:30
Your average person has a short attention span.  Most people that hear something familiar are delighted beyond belief. I'm sure everyone has witnessed an appreciative crowd at a live gig getting excited over a song everyone has heard numerous times for years. That means the unfamiliar is boring to them, and they are groaning 30 seconds into a song. I honestly don't know how any of them come to like any new music.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 11:35
Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

Your average person has a short attention span. 
Perhaps if we dangled a bit of yarn in front of a prog CD? It works for cats.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 11:41

Your average person has a short attention span.  Most people that hear something familiar are delighted beyond belief. I'm sure everyone has witnessed an appreciative crowd at a live gig getting excited over a song everyone has heard numerous times for years. That means the unfamiliar is boring to them, and they are groaning 30 seconds into a song. I honestly don't know how any of them come to like any new music.
GregW,
I tend to disagree with your hypothesis WinkI too have a short attention span however prog genre keeps me entertained, focused and interested (depending on the band of course, considering that prog music has a vast number of genres) WinkHug Hug
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:08
While it is true many prog and metal songs have slow build-ups, there is an equal amount of songs that start up fast. I don't know how anyone could not get instantly lost in the heavy pulsating guitar that starts off Yes's 'Machine Messiah'. 

Edited by Pastmaster - April 05 2015 at 12:11
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:48
I dislike the word boring so much, no one should feel bored, if they do it's they own fault. Pinch
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 13:28

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by Terakonin Terakonin wrote:

I remmember that at the time when I was a kid in middle 70s that people who didn't like to listen prog rock that they were about it as "it's a sad music" or "too psycho", rather than "boring". I think the reason is that back then all young people were listening to some rock music; if not prog, it was Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Southern Rock... and all of that was more of less a good stuff although not prog as the most artistic rock genre ever.
Today, the music is ghettoised so much that all the kinds of music are more and more "boring" just if it fall outside of our own personal taste and (or) our circle of friends.

I agree. Screw finding other prog fans, I can't find other rock fans.

Rock is dead
Rock is not dead. Not yet...
Agreed. It's going through a bit of a rough patch right now because too many people are longing for the glory days, but there are still bands powering through and doing interesting things. Some trends are starting to fall into place, which is a good thing in my opinion.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 11:33
After asking my brother, he said "It just is". Kind of sums it up to be honest. I think that it's not necessarily boring to them, it's just that people of my generation are so used to pop culture and 3-minute tracks. They don't want to listen to expansive concept albums and be transcended or intrigued, that's just not what music is for them. Pop fans look for something that other people can relate to, and it's more of a social thing I guess. People with different tastes altogether can often admire it's musicality (e.g. classical listeners) but I think it's too intense and complicated for something that is meant to be enjoyable for them. 

Despite this, it doesn't defeat the fact that it is "boring". They don't listen to music in the same way as prog fans. It's not a better or worse taste, it's just different because of their listening priorities, but the one thing I can say is that most of my peers haven't opened their minds to indulge themselves in this music. It took me quite a lot of time to get into prog, and I only really did because music is my number one priority and time-consumer. I tiptoed in by getting into Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, into Rush, then Genesis and Yes. It still took about 2 years before I reached bands like King Crimson and VDGG, and I'm still trying to get into the experimental krautrock and the numerous branches the underground modern music is going towards. Anyway, my point is that more music lovers should be attempting to investigate different genres. Prog has helped me appreciate all kinds of music, more recently hip hop and anti-folk, and I'm sure it works both ways - not just from a rock perspective. 

I'm sure this has all already been said, but it's just my thoughts. Apologies for wasting 3 minutes of your life Tongue
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 11:48
Yeah I don't think most people find prog boring either. The most common thing I hear whenever I talk about prog with folks who aren't into the style is that it's too complicated or weird. 
I gather there are a lot of people out there who search for beauty and transcendence just like we do - only they look elsewhere. I have a friend who gets the same kind of thrill out of basejumping as I do listening to Pink Floyd. 
Hell we don't even have to shift the focus away from music. I think it's fair to think that some music fans get the same kind of emotional and spiritual response out of a modern pop song by Katy Perry as some old timer does listening to Mahavishnu. Everything else is just semantics and music snobbery.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 06 2015 at 11:49
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:00
Listening to Pop exclusively is definitely a "worse taste." Filling your entire life up with things you're inevitably forced to reject due to the rules of cool...this is usually the type of person without conviction, loyalty, or anything interesting to add to the conversation. And this isn't a rare bruised banana I'm describing, this is most people.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:03
Going back to the whole 'lyrics are important' thing, that doesn't make any sense as to why people like pop. Why would someone like lyrics about sex, booze, partying, etc, when you could be listening to prog or metal where lyrics can be political/social commentary, in the realm of fantasy, or tell a story?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:06
What kind of pop are you referring to?

The experimental and psychedelic kind such as you find in Animal Collective or the one you come across on the radio?
Not all pop is radio friendly top 40 stuff - some of it is as progressive as many of the prog giants we've got listed here.

And why reject something if you genuinely like it? There are a lot of people who listen to pop who are not that different from the posters you find on here. They collect vinyls, attend gigs and talk music just like we do.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:07
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

GregW,
I tend to disagree with your hypothesis WinkI too have a short attention span however prog genre keeps me entertained, focused and interested (depending on the band of course, considering that prog music has a vast number of genres) WinkHug Hug
I have a short attention span too, and that's why I like ever changing music like prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:08
^^I don't know what the last poster was referring to, but I was referring to the stuff you here on the radio. I was also kind of going back to an older post.

Edited by Pastmaster - April 06 2015 at 12:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:14
Sorry, you ninja'd meLOL

I was asking The Sloth.

It's just been a day with a lot of these snide comments made at music genres people pretend to know, yet what they really know about them can be equated to what's being played on the radio. 
Pop is not restricted to what you hear on the radio - just like prog isn't restricted to bands that use mellotrons and sing about Tolkien references. -Most members here get their panties in a twist when they see their much beloved style of music being reduced to just that, but then again, they are just as bad when it comes to genres they aren't knowledgeable about and only know in passing. 

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:25
^It's true, one of the reasons why the prog community can annoy the hell out of me. LOL
I should have specified what I was talking about, it would have been more clear if the post I was going back to was more recent. I was only talking about the radio-pop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 39>