Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 39>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 07:01
I think, people use  'boring' as a general word to express unwillingness to understand smth more or less complicated. And most of prog is kinda mind-intrusive and hard to digest. As for the the lack of emotions, I think it has to deal with the "music above the artist" concept, so common for prog rock. But actuall, lots of prog bands work quite well on emotional level too due to the power and virtuosity of instrumentation (Yes, King Crimson) and convincing theatrical approach (Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator)

Edited by windycrawford - April 24 2015 at 07:03
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 07:08
If a boring person is to suggest to the others to listening to prog, it could be a big chance that they will find the prog "boring".
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:20
^ The 'suggestions thread' conundrum is very slowly beating it's way to your cerebral cortex with every passing tectonic plate.Ermm
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:30
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ The 'suggestions thread' conundrum is very slowly beating it's way to your cerebral cortex with every passing tectonic plate.Ermm
I've already told you that you never be able to provoke me. So it's useless to bother yourself with these attempts. But okay, let's people see your true nature.
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:37
curiouser and curiouser

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:31
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I've already told you that you never be able to provoke me. So it's useless to bother yourself with these attempts. But okay, let's people see your true nature.

No-one wants to provoke you, they would rather sedate and banish you all said and done. My true nature is not manifest in wasting valuable genre teams time in appraising spurious Prog recommendations from a deluded and manic compulsive spammer like you. Future posters will mourn your demise in the fullness of wasted time. I can wait.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:26

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

No-one wants to provoke you, they would rather sedate and banish you all said and done. My true nature is not manifest in wasting valuable genre teams time in appraising spurious Prog recommendations from a deluded and manic compulsive spammer like you. Future posters will mourn your demise in the fullness of wasted time. I can wait.
What is that but a provocation? is it supposed to be a joke?
Anyway. From now, I will not reply to you anymore. However, the reports of your inappropriate posts addressed to me, I will always send to the moderators. As per forum rules.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 15:23
I find those last exchanges boring.
Matte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:35
I went to see Mats/Morgan Band a couple of days ago together with two friends. One of them left before the extra-numbers because he was too bored - the other one stayed the whole concert but was constantly looking at his watch.
I asked them afterwards why they felt so bored and the answers was " no vocals...too strange...no real melodies..."
429diablo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 19:16
Same reason that people find classical or jazz boring.  Complex, long-winded musical ideas that take time to develop and focus and concentration to appreciate.

It's not just prog that gets written off as boring, it's anything that doesn't have an immediately catchy, simple hook and simplistic tone and emotion to express.  I've had the prog, alternative, punk, electronic, jazz, and hip hop in my collection called boring by many people i know.

It's a fact that most people simply don't care enough to want to really listen to music, and prefer not to be challenged by complex moods or tone in music.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 16:36
Because its always been over- analysed!! This thread was started in 2009!!! and we are still discussing why some people find 'prog' boringWacko ... doesnt take much workin' out really..oh well, think i'll turn off the computer and listen to some music instead and enjoy and have big smile on my faceSmile Night night and love to you all.

Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 23:47
That which is not immediately accessible forces you to choose whether you would be willing to invest time in seeing whether there's a likely pleasure payoff in the indeterminate future.

But since it is difficult to imagine such a reward, small wonder relatively few decide to. Most feel they'd likely just be wasting time.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 11:37
Originally posted by Matte Matte wrote:

I went to see Mats/Morgan Band a couple of days ago together with two friends. One of them left before the extra-numbers because he was too bored - the other one stayed the whole concert but was constantly looking at his watch.
I asked them afterwards why they felt so bored and the answers was " no vocals...too strange...no real melodies..."

We found our answer!!!
Magma America Great Make Again
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 17:50

This constant Svetonio-sniping is more boring than any prog album or track. As soon as the guy posts anything in any thread (regardless of what he says) the responses from certain senior members immediately jump off topic to launch personal attacks. And some people say that he is a troll!!! The hypocrisy is staggering.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 18:55
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by Matte Matte wrote:

We found our answer!!!

as a wise man once said... nothing better than good prog... and nothing worse than bad prog.

Problem is... IMO 'prog fan' often can't tell the difference themselves... and there is much more bad/boring stuff out there than good stuff.

music is about stimulating the soul.. not the brain...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 15:34

Removed due to PA's deliberated act of deleting threads as alleged featuring negative behaviour posts towards others.

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:17
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 16:14
How did this become such a long thread? I guess people were just bored. Clown
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 17:46
And why haven't we discussed the logical next step which solves the problem: how can we make people interested in prog? That's what I'm trying to figure out for a long time, but there are some things I've learned.

When you put on music like "I'll play you a song I like a lot" it doesn't come from themselves and it almost becomes an obligated action, though music should be what you want to hear yourself.

I've heard many times the same things which are of course things you'll be able to name, but you can anticipate very well. I thought Firth of Fifth would be not too long, it has a lot of energy and emotion in it and it starts out not too off the map. Though it was just refused with the ease and quickness of an eyeblink...

It's very hard to make people listen to prog out of their own, but luckily we have very popular bands who are found legends by many many people and also have albums which are pop/rocky and easy to get into. I.e. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell has tracks like High Hopes and Marooned which a lot of pop-used-ears could appreciate.
Just say something like this: "Wouldn't you like something a little different than every single song based upon just a simple verse-chorus form?".
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 18:19
Originally posted by Otto9999 Otto9999 wrote:

hahah , what a dumb question man...

Prog music is not about stimulating just the (f*****g snobbish pedantic) brain.. but the soul man... the SOUL!!!! ShockedShockedShocked
Really? ... What about Steely Dan?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 18:22
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

And why haven't we discussed the logical next step which solves the problem: how can we make people interested in prog? That's what I'm trying to figure out for a long time, but there are some things I've learned.

When you put on music like "I'll play you a song I like a lot" it doesn't come from themselves and it almost becomes an obligated action, though music should be what you want to hear yourself.

I've heard many times the same things which are of course things you'll be able to name, but you can anticipate very well. I thought Firth of Fifth would be not too long, it has a lot of energy and emotion in it and it starts out not too off the map. Though it was just refused with the ease and quickness of an eyeblink...

It's very hard to make people listen to prog out of their own, but luckily we have very popular bands who are found legends by many many people and also have albums which are pop/rocky and easy to get into. I.e. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell has tracks like High Hopes and Marooned which a lot of pop-used-ears could appreciate.
Just say something like this: "Wouldn't you like something a little different than every single song based upon just a simple verse-chorus form?".

^Maybe that should be another thread. FYI, I've already met a lot of resistance from PA members who think people like what they like and that's all that they like. As opposed to like and dislike being in some significant measure a product of cultural influence, as I would expect.

Edited by HackettFan - October 22 2015 at 18:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 39>