Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 39>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 17:21

Prog is a genre meant for people who want to get the best out of their life through music, other people try to get the best out of their life by other means and music isn't as much of a priority as it is to prog fans.

chrijom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 05:52
An inability to LISTEN and then express themselves verbally.
dtd350 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 07:08
I think for most people it simply isn't mainstream and accessible enough.  On top of that, I truly belive they don't have the patience for it.  Most prog songs take several listens to understand everything the artist is trying to convey in their music.  Also, most people like to dance to music, prog is impossible to dance to because it wasn't made to dance to.  Prog is supposed to make you think.  It was never a genre for the masses and it never will be.  Kinda like all the extreme metal I listen to.  Cannibal Corpse isn't meant for everyone to listen to.
http://www.last.fm/user/dtd350
Deleuze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 12:37
Originally posted by dtd350 dtd350 wrote:

I think for most people it simply isn't mainstream and accessible enough.  On top of that, I truly belive they don't have the patience for it.  Most prog songs take several listens to understand everything the artist is trying to convey in their music.  Also, most people like to dance to music, prog is impossible to dance to because it wasn't made to dance to.  Prog is supposed to make you think.  It was never a genre for the masses and it never will be.  Kinda like all the extreme metal I listen to.  Cannibal Corpse isn't meant for everyone to listen to.

Clap
LastDaysofParadise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 12:30
As with anything in the world, it's absolutely impossibly to please everyone in a crowd. The fact that there is a community of prog fans, and that community seems to be the leper colony of the music industry, shouldn't affect your tastes and interests in the genre. If your family complains about it, then ignore them and listen to it regardless. My mom never understood prog, but she never complained about it. She's heard me listening to prog for years now, so that exposure has set off a small amount of interest in the genre and she actually says she likes things when she's walking by. My dad is a prog fan, though he may not realize it, and got me into several classic prog acts in my pre-teen/early teen life. 

If you really want to get prog through to someone, you have to start with the essentials that are played on the "classic rock" stations. You can't force prog (any genre for that matter) on someone because they'll be overwhelmed and be even more repulsed by the thought of it. I wouldn't concern yourself with trying to get it through to anyone. Personally, if I don't like a prog band at first, it's usually a few months and then I have an urge to listen to said artist again and then typically become a fan. 

on a side not: prog is something that requires maturity and a clear head to listen to. It's not for the immature and naive.

Edited by LastDaysofParadise - November 02 2010 at 12:30
"If the universe is the answer, what is the question?"
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 14:29
Because it's actual music with substance, and you actually have to pay attention to it.  It's not "hey that song was 2 minutes long and 1:45 seconds of it was the same thing over and over, I remember it and it makes me feel happy"
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Blackbeard View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 14:13
- The, mostly, missing possiblity of dancing on progrock. 
- Thats it is, mostly, not catchy enough.
- That you need at leat some concentration while listening.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 14:15
You can dance to anything if you try hard enough, strange time signatures aren't that big of a barrier if you've got a good sense of rhythm. 
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 14:01
   Ignorant people cannot find their path in life , Gladly few of us did , so thanks God for the last 41 years of my life , i've discovered new jets , new cars , new technology , new people , new pets . but , the best thing happened to my life , was the discovery of this kind of music , and don't care much about if people around , likes it or not !!
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 23:12
I think the bigger question is: what makes boring people find prog? And how do we stop themLOL
Elderflower Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:22
In my opinion, it's the same as with any other genre of music: Some people just don't get prog. Just like I don't get gangsta rap, for instance, or dance music. Prog requires patience and concentration, and while we may love to put that into our music, others just aren't interested in it enough to want to do that- some people just want to dance to their music. Some people aren't interested in music at all. 

But an interest in music doesn't necessarily lead to an interest in prog. I know plenty of people who are proper musos and who don't get prog. It's simply a matter of whether one person finds prog interesting or not. There's no binding logic for it- you do, or you don't. Or, alternatively, you don't, but you could.
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:00
The problem for a lot of us older types ( me) is I love prog and the majority is from the Golden era but some of those classic albums I have been playing off and on for nearly 40 years. Still love them all but not every day. Must have something new or different on the go. I know they are not on the site listed as prog but that is up for debate as one has been off and on and that is Bill Laswell and Jah Wobble is the other. Have had albums of theirs for years but with those two. Quote," life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get" Both are aaaaaaawesome Bass players.....I prefer Jah Wobble actually over Bill. Can he make that Bass grumbleHug
Matt

The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:39
Originally posted by Blackbeard Blackbeard wrote:

If you want to dance to prog, you put on some CAN LOL
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 02:46

There is a danger in Prog - The upside is the invention, the creativity, the imagination, the freedom to express; the downside is that it is all too easy to become pure self-indulgence. Musicians - especially excellent technicians -  have a tendency to disregard the meaning or coherence of the writing in favour of their own expression, and indeed, encourage each other in this respect, by weaving patterns of sound and notes that invite their musical partners to respond to (or more likely, try to out-do!).

While this in itself can be a spectacle to listen to, without the true thread of writing and composition at the forefront, this can be just a cacophony of notes, milling around in the ether, clever, yet uninspired, pretty patterns with no home to call their own. The excellence of bands like Yes or ELO or King Crimson all too easily disintegrates into this category. Now that truly IS boring.

Yet the only hope for music lies in these regions. The challenge is to create an entity that lives and breathes by itself, then create around it, ensuring that self-indulgence is banished, and complex playing lives within the structure, bringing clarity and meaning instead of opaque destruction.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 07:30
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

...or Sledgehammer Big smile
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 07:33
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

All joking aside, they are the best dance band Prog ever had.Thumbs Up
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:53
I may have mentioned this before, but Fred Frith has made music for dance.  Also there's David Byrne's The Catherine Wheel.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 09:42
I would like to encourage you to participate in the
can you dance poll Big smile.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 14:35
In my opinion people go for the easy music-pop,MTV. Prog requires initiation, dedication, usually long tracks, you can't listen to prog as background while doing something else.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 03:06
Prog rock is music for the head.

Lowest common denominator i.e.chart oriented music is not. Perhaps most folks want to avoid thinking.

Anyway just 'cause some people think something is boring does not make them right. Any other criticisms?

I once tried a gieaway CD of essential rock anthems (bo prog.) Bored me witless with the endless and overly evident V-IV-I cadences. The so called energy was nothing beyond 120bpms (normal fast tempo or so.)

I know it sounds elitist and that is nbad thing but prog rock is the art music of rock and has to be regarded as such. Pop and rock were never meant to have an art level.

prog = The Thing That Should Not Be. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 39>