Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 39>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 05:17
That's the thing: I do know a handful of people my own age who take an active interest in 1970s progressive rock. Don't forget that more people in metal circles are developing a working appreciation of at least the heavier groups from that movement, since that's what traditional heavy metal - which is also experiencing a revival - evolved out of. Both Deep Purple and Judas Priest came from that milieu.

It's probably more of a thing in Sweden, though. That country seems to be the epicentre of the current prog rock revival movement. Probably does not hurt that Sweden had by far the largest prog rock milieu of any Scandinavian country back in the 1970s.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - October 23 2015 at 05:29
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 05:36
Norway and Sweden are among the most interesting countries for experimental music at the moment....at least for my tastes. 
I get everything I can possibly get my hands on from Fire! Orchestra, Dungen, Necromonkey, Ulver, Jaga Jazzist, elephant9 and everything else Ståle Storløkken is involved with (Supersilent, Motorpsycho etc).

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 05:42
LOLLOLLOL

The Thread That Will Never Die!
Magma America Great Make Again
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 05:55
All threads over 20 pages move in circles. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 06:27
By the way, Guldbamsen, interesting namedrop of Swans a page ago because a long while ago I saw someone on RateYourMusic in a review of To Be Kind remark that group is "basically Pink Floyd for goths" at this point in their career. The argument went that this was something very few people notice, because there's not much overlap between those two groups' target audiences.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 07:27
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

The Thread That Will Never Die!

I once worked on a case that took 25 years from filing to settlement.  6 years for a thread is a mere blink of an eye.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 07:35
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

That's the thing: I do know a handful of people my own age who take an active interest in 1970s progressive rock. Don't forget that more people in metal circles are developing a working appreciation of at least the heavier groups from that movement, since that's what traditional heavy metal - which is also experiencing a revival - evolved out of. Both Deep Purple and Judas Priest came from that milieu.

It's probably more of a thing in Sweden, though. That country seems to be the epicentre of the current prog rock revival movement. Probably does not hurt that Sweden had by far the largest prog rock milieu of any Scandinavian country back in the 1970s.

Basicly Sweden have a much stronger music industri, compared to Denmark. I think its because they have a better understanding that music is an industri,  30 percent of Swedish children attend publicly subsidized, after-school music programs. This combined with the fact that since Abba, sweden have had a lot in international bestsellers, Ace of Base, Roxette, Europe, Cardigans (all POP and we HATE pop dont we ?) but it fuel a strong industri, making it easy for any act to get contracts, venues etc. ect.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 11:48
Only boring people find prog boring...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 12:01
^ Amen! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 14:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Norway and Sweden are among the most interesting countries for experimental music at the moment....at least for my tastes. 
I get everything I can possibly get my hands on from Fire! Orchestra, Dungen, Necromonkey, Ulver, Jaga Jazzist, elephant9 and everything else Ståle Storløkken is involved with (Supersilent, Motorpsycho etc).
Thumbs Up  Sweden and Norway punching so far above their weight in terms of progressive / experimental music it's unreal.  With a good amount of interesting stuff coming out of Finland and Denmark too, it's like Scandinavia is the new Italy at the same time as being the new Belgium Cool

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 15:42
I still come across young college students in Oklahoma who are Pink Floyd fans. I don't think they know what Prog in general is, but if their favorite group is a Prog band from way back there that still says something.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 15:47
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Also some people find it boring if a song is long for some reason. I think some stuff from say Yes is pretty accessible, take "And You and I" or "Roundabout", they have a catchy melody and most would like it if they listened to it on the radio I think, but since they're long (for radio standards, not prog) people would get bored halfway through it.

Also Thick as a Brick for example, if instead of a 40 minute song each section was a different song maybe they could be popular, but nobody wants to listen to a 40 minute song. Most regular people like songs and not albums, if not there wouldn't be much difference since it lasts like an average LP. But people want to listen to a 3 minute song and then put something different from another artists, I think 90% of the population don't listen to full albums.
Lynard Skynard's Free Bird is too long for me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

By the way, Guldbamsen, interesting namedrop of Swans a page ago because a long while ago I saw someone on RateYourMusic in a review of To Be Kind remark that group is "basically Pink Floyd for goths" at this point in their career. The argument went that this was something very few people notice, because there's not much overlap between those two groups' target audiences.

Yeah I see that a lot...but then again we all use our own collection as a reference point when trying to describe music. Ask a devout metal head and a reggae nut to describe any given album and you'll see two very different ways of arriving at the exact same place. 

It can however be a little frustrating to witness all the youngsters out there who know absolutely nothing of what happened just 15 years earlier. It's often people that start heralding X album as something unequivocally new and edgy, and then it turns out to be the same old brand of post-rock from circa 1979.   

- Douglas Adams
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2015 at 11:08
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Also some people find it boring if a song is long for some reason. I think some stuff from say Yes is pretty accessible, take "And You and I" or "Roundabout", they have a catchy melody and most would like it if they listened to it on the radio I think, but since they're long (for radio standards, not prog) people would get bored halfway through it.

Also Thick as a Brick for example, if instead of a 40 minute song each section was a different song maybe they could be popular, but nobody wants to listen to a 40 minute song. Most regular people like songs and not albums, if not there wouldn't be much difference since it lasts like an average LP. But people want to listen to a 3 minute song and then put something different from another artists, I think 90% of the population don't listen to full albums.
Lynard Skynard's Free Bird is too long for me.

any Lynard Skynard song that lasts more than 10 seconds is too long for me.
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 10:17
It doesn't generally groove, growl, rap, scream, strum, or go thump thump thump ad nauseum. 

Conversely, I find all that to be a snore.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 10:41
Constant Rick Wakeman like whistling keys and mermaids singing this is killing it for me, I have no idea why some bands do this. Ouch arghhhh... bah this is tiresome. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 11:59
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thumbs Up  Sweden and Norway punching so far above their weight in terms of progressive / experimental music it's unreal.  With a good amount of interesting stuff coming out of Finland and Denmark too, it's like Scandinavia is the new Italy at the same time as being the new Belgium Cool

LOLLOLLOL
Funniest thing I've read in a long time - intentional or not.
Definitely a phrase I'm going to experiment with, so thanks for that. 
"Man I'll tell you, it's like being the new Belgium! Tha freaking bee's knees!!"

(Sorry to all the Belgians out there, but there is just something inherently funny about the word 'Belgium' and any of it's affiliates like 'Belgian' and 'Belgians'. I feel the same about 'Kuwait' and ''Burkina Faso' if it makes you feel any better.)

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:09
"Man I'll tell you, it's like being the new Belgium! Tha freaking bee's knees!!"

hahahaha I am laughing and this is Guldbamsen's fault but hahahahas it's just funny hahahaha
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:13
Embrace the new Belgium!

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 39>