Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 3RP 2009, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, August 8-9, 2009
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3RP 2009, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, August 8-9, 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3RP 2009, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, August 8-9, 2009
    Posted: August 10 2009 at 19:47
My wife and I went to the Three River's Prog Festival (3RP) this weekend and what a fantastic time it was.  I'll be throwing a series of posts in this thread starting with this one; a general 3RP review if you will.  I'll follow up with an additional seven reviews of individual bands.  Unfortunately, with the timing and delivering our two year old to the babysitters, we were unable to see Edensong, Persephone's Dream or Syzrgy.

First off, the venue:  What a great place for a festival, the Pepsi Roadhouse is a smallish club with a capacity of about a thousand people (according to the webpage).  The staff was certainly courteous and helpful and the rows were spread far enough away from each other than me and my long legs didn't feel cramped at all.  While we did not sample their food this year, we heard no one complaining about it, and it was very tasty last year.  I can't comment on the drinks either as we brought our own this time as well.

The overall sound volume was a little lower than I'm used to.  While this was probably a good thing for my ears I would have enjoyed a little more volume.  The actual sound mix was decent at best, and rough at times.  The vocals were undermixed for It Bites, IQ, Crack the Sky and King's X.  We pull Peter Nichols more than three thousand miles to come sing for us and he has to tell the sound man three or four times that he couldn't hear himself in the monitors.  Sadly, we couldn't hear him either. . . . and that was before his microphone spontaneously died entirely.  Kudos to Mr. Nichols for improvising new lyrics to "Erosion" (more on that in a later post).

The vendors were all good; there were a slew of CD vendors, a label (Trinity Records I believe) and a magazine (I'm sorry to say that I didn't get the name of the magazine).  On the other side of the hall were the band tables, quite often manned by the more than gracious musicians themselves.  Phideaux, Glass Hammer, Singularity, Edensong and Persephone's Dream in particular made themselves available to fans all throughout the festival.  One of my particular highlights was when I introduced myself to Phideaux as Roland113.  He gave me one of 'those looks' and asked if I was ok with the succulent lair (I had given him grief for the lyric in my review of "Chupacabras").  It was neat to be recognized and I believe it was all in good fun.  There were also four or five bands with tables outside including The Mandrake Project and 3rdegree among others.  I took a moment to speak with Robert Pashman of 3rdegree who was a good guy to talk to and very appreciative of the community's support.

The parking lot was easily large enough to handle all attendees, a combination of a paved lot close to the venue with a grass lot a little further out made it ideal for tailgating.  My wife and I just set up our tent and voila, instant party.  Which brings me to the people, the fans; not once did my wife and I have to put the tent up or take it down without one of the other nearby groups of people offering to help.  On Saturday I met a great guy who flew in from Mexico City for day one.  Unfortunately, Moses had to be back at work on Monday so he couldn't stay for day two but he graciously gave me his tickets in the hopes that someone could enjoy his seats.  While we kept our original seats, we did pass the tickets on to someone who was sitting in the back.   On Sunday night a pair of guys from Cincinnati came over to talk for a while and just plain entertained us with stories of their exploits while they were playing.  Dave and Jim, if we ever get to Cincinnati I totally want to see the nundome. 

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend.  My hat is off to promoter Howard Levy and his staff for putting together another wonderful festival.

Edited by Roland113 - August 11 2009 at 19:22
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 20:18
God I wish I was there...

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 21:29
^  Next year buddy, I'll bring the grill.

In the mean time, I'm going to post a few set lists to get the information out there for anyone who's looking for the info and also to act as place holders for longer reviews to come.

Edited by Roland113 - August 10 2009 at 21:43

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 21:46
Singularity Set List, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

1. Mongrel
  2. Kaleidoscope
  3. Smile
  4. Drive
  5. Invictus
  6. Stratum
  7. Endless
  8. Flight
  9. Inferno
  10. In Passing
  11. All Comes Down
  12. Ground Zero
  13. Hold a Candle
  14. Still
  15. Traces
  16. Metamorophsis 2
  17. Coming Undone
  18. Infractus
  19. XOT
  20. Islands

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 21:51
Phideaux Set List, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

1. Micro Deathstar
  2. The Doctrine of Eternal Ice (Part One)
  3. Crumble
  4. Thank You For the Evil
  5. Prequiem
  6. Gift of the Flame
  7. Interview With a Doormouse / Doormouse - An End
  8. Angry Rock (? From 7.5, may have gotten the name wrong)
  9. Chupacabras
  10. Tempest of Mutiny
  11. Microdeath Softstar
I think I'm pretty close on the set list, the first Doomsday Suite (Micro Deathstar - Crumble) was just that, I may have missed something in there, same with the Prequiem - Doormouse section of Number 7.  If anyone else knows of anything that I may have goofed up (Phideaux) please let me know.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 21:55
It Bites Set List, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

1. Kiss Like Judas
  2. I Got You Eating Out of My Hand
  3. Ghosts
  4. All In Red
  5. Plastic Dreamer
  6. Oh My God
  7. The Ice Melts Into Water
  8. Great Disasters
  9. Yellow Christian
  10. The Wind that Shakes the Barley Free
  11. The Old Man and the Angel
  12. Midnight
  13. Calling All the Heroes
  14. (encore) This Is England

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 21:57
IQ Set List, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

1. Frequency
  2. Erosion
  3. The Darkest Hour
  4. Stronger than Friction
  5. Outer Limits
  6. Sacred Sound
  7. The Province
  8. Guiding Light
  9. Closer
  10. The Narrow Margin
  11. (encore) It All Stops Here

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 22:03
Glass Hammer Set List, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/9/09

Ok, this one is incomplete, my understanding is that their regular male lead singer, Carl Groves couldn't attend this gig which caused a severe restriction to their available song list.  As such, I only recognized one song, "South Side of the Sky".  I don't think they played any of the originals from "The Culture of Ascent" though in all fairness, I did miss the very beginning of their set.  Anyone with information on their set list, please let me know.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 22:07
Crack the Sky Set List, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/9/09

Sadly, I didn't know nearly enough of their songs by name to be able to accurately reproduce a set list.  If anyone can help me reconstruct this one, please do.

Updated with thanks to SkySpirit from the 3RP discussion thread:

The Sale: Intro
Closing Time
Refugee 1 & 2
Nuclear Apathy
Greenhouse
Go
Zoom
Sea Epic
L'Acte de Patriote
Ice
Lighten Up McGraw
Mind Baby
She's A Dancer
Hold On
Surf City
 *Strawberry Fields
 *Daytripper
 *You Can't Do That
 *Come Together
 *All You Need Is Love
Hot Razors
I Am The Walrus

Edited by Roland113 - August 16 2009 at 10:28

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 22:09
King's X Set List, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/9/09

1. Groove Machine
  2. Visions
  3. Pleiades
  4. Pray
  5. Move
  6. Lost in Germany
  7. Black Flag
  8. Dogman
  9. Go Tell Somebody
  10. Goldilox
  11. Looking for Love
  12. Summerland
  13. Over My Head
  14. (encore) It's Love
  15. (encore) We Were Born to be Loved
Edited based on info from http://jazzsick.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/kings-x-2009/ and personal reconstruction.

Edited by Roland113 - August 19 2009 at 12:55

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 22:11
Sounds cool. Definitely neat that Phideaux recognized you by your username for that review.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 14:55
Shame you missed Syzygy.  Their new album sounds like a good one and I have it on the list to buy.

(it was Syzygy, right?  Not Syzergy.) 
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 15:52
Just wanted to say that I'm jealous Unhappy 

I wish I could have gone. But, I'm going to see It Bites (and Karmakanic, Agents of Mercy & Touchstone) at CalProg, so I'm waiting for a review of It Bites to see what I can expect at the concert I'm going to. I only know their latest, The Tall Ships, so I don't know a majority of the songs they played according to that setlist.

And also, yeah, it is Syzygy, and their latest album is a masterpiece in my opinon. Very good band and I highly recommend their latest album.
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 19:31
@ Johnobvious and Nate -Thanks guys, Syzrgy's name has been corrected.  I heard from a couple of the people that were there that we really missed a great set.  I would have loved to have been there, but I had a pair of commitments, a promise to my wife and then a visit with our two year old.  Unfortunately, Syzrgy was the sacrificial lamb.  As it was, we missed the first Glass Hammer song as well.

@ Moatillatta - I was rather touched at the recognition.  Interestingly enough, Phideaux was also handing out a pamphlet featuring 'critics' reviews quotes on each of his CD's.  The quote for Number Seven caused me to laugh out loud:

"This is true symphonic rock, 100% growling free and probably The best album of 2009" - Menswear ProgArchives.com

Taken right out of Phideaux' pamphlet.  I got to tell you all, I'm really starting to feel like I'm a part of something here.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 19:01
Singularity Performance Review, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

Singularity started their show out with the instrumental Mongrel.  From the initial drum fill by drummer Jamie McGregor this band shined on their instruments, matching their albums almost note for note, with only the exception of their tempo.  Both “Mongrel” and “Kaleidoscope” were slightly on the fast side, unfortunately, the vocals on Kaleidoscope were a little off key at times, though I can blame this on the same set of nerves that produced the faster tempo.  By “Smile” the third song in their set, they had settled down vocally and in regards to the tempo.  “Smile was played almost to perfection and brought about the bands first standing ovation of the day.

Bassist Jonathan Patch, was energized by the cheers and apparently forgot what the next song was for a moment.  “Oh yeah, this” he announced, ‘if anyone needs to go to the bathroom, now’s the time to do it,’ before announcing that they were going to play their second album, “Between Sunlight and Shadow” in its entirety.  This apparently produced the desired effect with the band as well as guitarist Scott Cleland dove for his bottle of water.  The band then proceeded to rip out the entire forty three minutes of the album to perfection incurring a second standing ovation.

Mr. Patch entertained the audience by telling us that Singularity was actually a boy band, in which each of them had their roles.  Mr. Cleland was the bad boy while Mr. McGregor was apparently the cute one.  Keyboardist John Green was announced as the eccentric recluse, Mr. Patch’s typical role.  This meant that Mr. Patch had to take on a new role, that of ‘guy who talks a lot to give the rest of the band a rest’.  Admirable job Mr. Patch, admirable job.

This was followed immediately by ”XOT” which sounded better than the album as John Green was featured on the  brilliant showcase piece.  Mr. Patch then announced that they had but one song left but that Phideaux would follow shortly with something experimental.  According to Mr. Green, they weren’t actually going to play ‘songs’ rather they would be reenacting an episode of General Hospital live on stage for all of us to enjoy.

They then closed their set out with a blistering rendition of “Islands”.  Folks, if you haven’t heard anything from this band, the song “Islands” is a blissful twenty minute epic about a sentient tree, the last five minutes are mind bending as Mr. Cleland’s Guitar plays in 4/4 time, Mr. Green's keyboards and the vocals play over top in 3/4 time while  the rhythm section incorporates both rhythms into their own hybrid.  The chaos is beautifully orchestrated and I’ll be darned if they didn’t hit it dead on when they played it live.  It was truly a spine tingling moment for me and one of the highlights of the weekend.  The audience was rather boisterous after they finished affording them their third and final ovation of the day.

After the show, they mingled with the fans at their tables and were very gracious in granting autographs or just talking to us.  For being a recluse, John Green was very appreciative, making a point to thank everyone that he spoke with for their support.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 21:49
Phideaux Performance Review, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

So I was talking to the guys from Singularity just a few moments after they had finished tearing down when the emcee announced that everyone had to leave the room for Phideaux's sound check.  Almost immediately, Phideaux Xavier said it wasn't necessary, it would only take them six minutes.  Six Minutes to do a sound check . . . for ten people!  I didn't time it exactly, but I think it was about a half hour between Singularity's last note and Phideaux's first.  This was the quickest transition of the weekend.  Before they played a single note of their show, the professionalism of Phideaux Xavier's troupe of musicians had impressed me.  

They led their set with "Microdeath Star" and started off firing on all cylinders and my goodness, the sound was fantastic; the best of the weekend.  As I mentioned earlier, there were ten Phidites on stage:

1.    Ariel Farber – Violin, Backing Vocals
2.    Valarie Gracious – Lead Vocals
3.    Rich Hutchins – Drums
4.    Met Kennedy – Bass
5.    Gabriel Moffat – Guitar, Lap Guitar
6.    Linda Ruttan Moldawsky – Backing Vocals
7.    Molly Ruttan – Backing Vocals
8.    Mark Sherkus – Keyboards
9.    Johnny Unicorn – Keyboards, Sax, Backing Vocals
10.    Phideaux Xavier – Lead Vocals, Acoustic Guitar

They blew through "Microdeath Star" straight into a rather uptempo version of "The Doctrine of Eternal Ice" then dropped dramatically straight out of the bouncy 'Doctrine' into a combined version of "Crumble".  "Crumble" turned out to be the most artistic moment of the weekend as Mr. Xavier's day job was in full evidence.  As the song started, Ms. Farber leaned over to get a drink of her water while she had a free moment, a second or two later, Mr. Xavier knelt down to apparently check the tuning on his guitar.  Over the next twenty or thirty seconds the rest of the band slowly sat down on stage with drummer Rich Hutchins even ducking off of his stool to hide behind his kit.  

Only Keyboardist Johnny Unicorn and singer Valarie Gracious remained standing, coincidently (or not), both were clad in mostly white.  Valarie sang her aria from the second part of "Crumble" so beautifully that it almost brought a tear to my eye, so pure was her voice.  The crowd was mesmerized, hanging on her every note.  Once the music ended there was a moment of hushed silence as the awestruck audience waited to savor the moment for one last second before erupting onto their feet to offer Ms. Gracious and the band one of their many standing ovations of the night.  This is another moment that brings me goosebumps as I write about it.

"Thank You For the Evil" was up next and true to the CD, the low combination of bass and keyboards flooded the room with the sense of foreboding evil that makes this song a signature track.  This was my favorite song from Doomsday, and it did not disappoint.  They then played a medley from Number Seven of "Prequiem", "Gift of the Flame" and a kind of hybrid version of the Doormouse theme, adding the lyrics of 'An End' to the music of "Interview With a Doormouse".  The Doormouse theme is one of my favorites, from Number Seven and it was great to hear this one live.

* * * ok, I'm going to bed, I'll post the rest of this tomorrow if all goes as planned * * *

rpmartino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 22:22
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I didn't time it exactly, but I think it was about a half hour between Singularity's last note and Phideaux's first. This was the quickest transition of the weekend.

Aha!  So that is the reason I was shocked to find I had missed the first few minutes of their set!  I was outside playing my little Chapman Stick set under the tent and was sure to keep it to the allotted 45 minutes, and wondered why I was already hearing music when I packed up and walked back into the building...  at least I caught the beginning a couple days earlier in Brooklyn.  Smile  If only I hadn't played my Candybrain arrangement that Phideaux encouraged (ha ha) Wink

Thanks for the reviews- brings back memories of an amazing and life-changing weekend for me.  The music and conversations were great.  I of course loved Phideaux, Edensong and IQ (the three I was most familiar with) and Syzygy was the surprise of the weekend for me- they really blew me away with both their creativity and technical skills.
http://robmartino.com
Rob Martino - solo Chapman Stick
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 07:14
^ oh hey Rob, I'm sorry we missed your show.  I think the quick turn over surprised us all.  My wife and I put our tent up, went back inside to get Singularity's autographs and poof, Phideaux was on stage.

It truly was a magical weekend though.  My wife had always been a somewhat reluctant prog fan, mostly being drug along by me.  Some of the bands, Phideaux and King's X in particular struck a chord with her and really made the difference for her as well.

Looking forward to seeing you next year?

natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 11:36
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 20:39
Once they completed the "Number Seven" suite, they took a moment to introduce the next piece which is to be from the upcoming "Number 7.5".  If I understood correctly, the piece is called Angry Rock and basically details what happens when humanity sends a colonization ship to another planet only to be rejected by the planet.  This was a nice preview of things to come.

Phideaux then told us that he was happy to be on the east coast and visit his family.  He then told us of one of his mother's favorite recipes which apparently involved leaving a goat outside to act as bait for the main ingredient of 'Chupacobbler pie'.  After a collective groan the band launched into "Ok" and two minutes later "Chupacabras".  Let me tell you, this song was beautiful (yes, even the succulent lair lyric).  Gabriel Moffat played the lap guitar to perfection and the backing vocals of the sisters Ruttan and Ariel Farber were sublime; even Johnny Unicorn contributed to the vocal intensity by adding the growls of the beastie.  This too was a highlight of the weekend and was rewarded with yet another standing ovation.

They continued with "Tempest of Mutiny" which was an upbeat tune from an as yet unreleased compilation and finished with a powerful version of "Microdeath Softstar" with the entire band cranking it out for the finale.  I have no reservation in saying that Phideaux and company's performance was absolutely amazing and will be one of the highlights of my concert going career for some time to come.  Bravo Mr. Xavier.

Equally impressive, my wife had always been a casual prog fan and wasn't terribly impressed by the Phideaux CD's I had given her before the show.  She walked away a convert using phrases like "they were great" and "I'll definitely listen to them a lot more".  Their performance had totally changed her opinion of the band.

So afterwards, I went over to their tables to congratulate the band and get a few autographs.  I shook introduced Phideaux's hand and introduced myself as Roland113.  I think I was honored, he immediately recognized the name and said 'Oh, hey, were you ok with the Succulent Lair, I mean was that ok with you', referring to a review that I did of Chupacabras.  I say that I think I was honored because I think he was joking. I don't think he was seriously irritated.  (Phideaux, if the review did bother you, then I truly apologize, my intent was to be both specific and witty, not to offend.)

Nonetheless, the band was very gracious and almost giddy after the show.  As Phideaux mentioned, seven of the band members have been friends since high school and it showed especially after the show.  The interactions between the friends were endearing as they alternately thanked fans, patted each other on the back or just leaned on each other in a moment of tranquility.  I was able to get all seven of the Hastings-on-Avon crowd's autographs and couldn't help but smile as they continually thanked all of the fans for their support.  There was someone who looked to be late high school age behind me who was absolutely gushing at the chance to talk to Phideaux.  He had come all of the way from Utah to see Phideaux and Phideaux the band or the man didn't let him down.  The autograph line was kind of stalled so Phideaux talked to the fan for the better part of two or three minutes discussing potential set lists and his music in general.  It was truly wonderful to watch someone who was so appreciative.

And yes, I know that Phideaux will probably read this, but this is a genuine review.  The Phideaux show was truly fantastic and the band members were all wonderful.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>