Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 3RP 2009, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, August 8-9, 2009
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3RP 2009, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, August 8-9, 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 20:41
^^ Nate, great vid, thanks for posting.  
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 21:09
It Bites Performance Review, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

About an hour after Phideaux had finished "It Bites" had completed their sound check and looked to be ready to go.  They all went off and the audience settled in, ready for the show.  After about two minutes, Howard Levy, the emcee and promoter for the event came out with a somewhat sheepish look on his face.  To paraphrase Howard, 'um, It Bites will be out in a moment or two . . . they're changing".  This brought on a round of giggles from the crowd.

Luckily before the giggles got out of hand, "It Bites" took to the stage, dressed entirely in what looked like white scrubs, hearkening back to the eighties.  To continue the theme, they launched into "Kiss Like Judas" which set a playful tone right from the beginning.  The first thing that I (and my wife) noticed about their performance was the facial expressions of keyboard player John Beck.  To describe him as emotive would be an understatement worthy of . . . of . . . someone who is rather understated.  On occasion he would apparently hit something that wasn't quite right; the exaggerated wincing was downright comical and just added to the general sense of fun that the band was promoting.  The expressions carried on throughout the remainder of the show adding to the fun atmosphere that It Bites was promoting

Two songs later, they played "Ghosts", the first song of the night off of their newest release, "The Tall Ships" and this was another rollicking song reminiscent of eighties rock.  After two more of their older hits, they jumped back onto the tall ship with "Oh My God", on of mine (and my wife's) favorite songs by them.  There were quite a few people singing along and bobbing their heads to this one . . . which was one of the more apparent shows of emotion for the crowd.  Apparently it wasn't quite proggy enough to require all of the crowd's attention so the heads started to bob and the people started to move a bit.  It was probably good that the audience was singing along because we couldn't really hear John Mitchell singing which was a shame.  You could tell he was singing, his lips were moving and you could kind of hear him in the speakers, sadly like many other bands of the weekend, the vocals were undermixed.

After "The Ice Melts Into Water" John Mitchel informed us that we had to be silly with him for the next song.  He then initiated the call and answer bit of gibberish from "Great Disasters" and the crowd acquiesced by returning the song.  "Great Disasters" was one of the more fun songs of the festival as the crowd grudgingly shed some of its seriousness enjoying the antics of Mr., Mitchell as he alternately leaned on either bassist Lee Pomeroy, drummer Bob Dalton's kit or Mr. Beck's monitors.

They then launched into "Yellow Christian" which was a good song; this was the first time I had really listened to it and it was the most memorable of the songs that I didn't know.  This was immediately followed by "The Wind That Shakes the Barley Free" which was one of the proggier songs of their set.  What a fantastic song and a great one to see live.

They played two more songs "The Old Man and the Angel" and "Midnight" at one point suggesting to the audience that 'those that could dance, should do it now, cause this one isn't prog.'  Again, the audience entertained Mr. Mitchell's request.  Finally they ended the set with a good rendition of "Calling All the Heroes". 

They all bowed and left the stage, thanking us, but we were not to be denied.  There was more prog in them there hills and durnit, we wanted it.  After the obligatory minute of hooting and hollering It Bites returned to the stage and played "This is England" beautifully for their encore.

This was the funnest show of the weekend.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 21:13
Nice reviews.  Which reminds me that I still must acquire Tall Ships and Phideaux 7.

Edited by rushfan4 - August 13 2009 at 21:13
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 21:57
Thanks Scott.

Don't be fooled though, I wouldn't consider The Tall Ships to be prog, it's still a fantastic album, though more of an eighties throw back with excellent musicianship.  It's got all of the catchyness of Frost* without the strange time signatures.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 20:46

IQ Performance Review, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

So nighttime arrived and there was but one band left for Saturday, IQ, the band that many had been waiting for.  Throughout the day I had spent time on a few of the breaks talking to a gentleman named Moses from Mexico City who had flown in to see Phideaux and IQ.  There were cars in the parking lot from all over the US, I think there was someone from Iowa, Utah, Illinois, Michigan, Florida, New York and of course a few of us locals; IQ was the uniting factor that drew them all in.  If I understand correctly, they hadn't played in the US for the past five years or so.  This was big!

They started the show off by triggering an extended version of the sound mélange that starts off their latest CD, "Frequency".  After the effects, the band crashed in with a wall of sound that left no mistake, IQ was here and they were ready to play.  Sadly, Peter Nichols was struck with the initial frustration of not being able to hear himself in the monitors.  How do we know this, I believe he did the universal signal for 'Bullocks, I can't hear myself ya git, turn me up' four separate times, with each time his facial expressions became more exaggerated.  Once things were somewhat straightened out (the vocals still weren’t loud enough) they hit a groove, blasting through "Frequency" and into another 'happy' song about 'everything around you being taken away', Mr. Nichol's words, not mine.  Nonetheless, they played "Erosion", which was never my favorite from "The Seventh House" until now, this song is fantastic live.  One of my personal highlights; guitarist Michael Holmes was using a Theremin like device to control the effects on his guitar swells at the end of the song.  Very neat for the technogeeks amongst us, and let's face it, fans of the Neo genre have to prove their technogeekry to get the membership card.

"The Darkest Hour" from Ever followed and though Mr. Nichols voice still sounded a little odd, we could at least hear it.  Sadly, this was not the case in "Stronger than Friction".  After the first minute or so, the Mr. Nichol's microphone finally gave up the goat and died, completely.  After an awkward second or two, Mr. Nichols stole bassist John Jowitt's microphone and did a five star improvisation and sung, "This mic is useless, it does not work, It does not serve me, not even mine".  Yes, I know, it's not that much of a stretch from the original lyrics, but still, points for doing something other than throwing the dead mic at the sound man.  Once the mic was replaced, Mr. Nichols sounded amazingly better and received a round of applause from an appreciative audience.

Next they pounded out "Outer Limits" followed by "Sacred Sound" from "Dark Matter".  For the end of Sacred Sound, the rhythm section of Paul Cook and John Jowitt sounded like they'd been playing together for years . . . oh yeah, well, they regained their previous chemistry instantly and sounded phenomenal on this song, especially in the last part of it.  Mark Westworth shined on the keyboards throughout "The Province" which was immediately followed by "Guiding Light".  "Guiding Light" was one of the great moments of their set as everyone hit this one beautifully, the extended instrumental section in the middle was spot on and Peter Nichols sounded wonderful.

I must take a moment to applaud Misters Holmes and Jowitt who were apparently rather relaxed throughout the entire set.  The biggest source of concern seemed to be when their prospective pitchers of beer ran out.  Their hilarity climaxed during "Closer" when Mr. Holmes started throwing set lists at Mr. Jowitt.  These two were obviously having fun and they hit every single note while they were at it.  This is the sign of an experienced musician.  Kudos to you two.

The finished the set with the closing section of "Subterranea", yes folks, they played "The Narrow Margin" in its entirety and this was the ultimate highlight of their set.  The whole song sounded amazing and the famous syncopated middle section was perfect.  I was so grateful to be there at that moment listening to them.  When Peter Nichols entered to describe the murder of the contemporaries of the main character, you could begin to feel the pain of the lead character, by the time they got to the fateful end of the song, the pain and loneliness in Peter Nichol's voice moved the entire room.  This earned the band a standing ovation and a continued round of applause until they returned to the stage for an encore.

The choice of their encore was interesting; they played "It All Stops Here" which unfortunately I didn't recognize, though it sounded pretty good.  Once the final note was played the band lined up for the traditional bow, with Mr. Holmes looking at the rest of the band with a smirk and a 'I'm not touching you look'.  Mr. Jowitt then ended the night with some words of wisdom, "Right, let's all get pissed!"

Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 01:49
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

(Phideaux, if the review did bother you, then I truly apologize, my intent was to be both specific and witty, not to offend.)

of course the Review of the album Chupacabras didn't bother me.  I was having a laugh.  I'd just read it the day before so it was fresh in my mind because we were doing the song and I was thinking about the lyrics and thinking back to when I wrote them.

Naturally in the strictest of terms a succulent plant or a succulent tasting dish is not a home, and I am not in the habit of defending my lyrics, but suffice it to say I like them.  I thought it was funny to be able to tease you about your review, in a good natured way of course!  

:-)  

But, I will say this:  Where would a chupacabras live?  Especially a vain and preening Chupacabras who is concerned about its teeth and breath and thinks that by killing goats and sucking their blood it is bringing them freedom?  A Chupacabras who says "I am beauty".   I think it's entirely possible that this creature might live in a moist and warm cuckoon...  I'm just saying!

But, aside from all that.  I'm glad you liked the show.  We truly were grateful to everyone who came to see us and to those who took the time to say hello.

However, I will admit that I've sworn off reading album reviews so nobody need worry that I will confront you about your comments!  It's all warm and fuzzy in my Xavier brain!
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 11:37
Glass Hammer Performance Review, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

Glass Hammer was the band that I was the least familiar with coming into the prog fest.  I had purchased "Culture of Ascent" and had listened to it quite a few times to familiarize myself with them.  As such, I was a little surprised when they took to the stage with only one microphone for Susie.  I kept asking myself what happened to the male lead.  For the show, the band consisted of:

Matt Mendians - Drums
Fred Schendel – Keyboards, Vocals
Steve Babb – Bass, Vocals
David Wallimann - Guitars
Susie Bogdanowicz – Lead Vocals

Susie (This one's for you Henk), and bassist Steve Babb, (Picture copied from Glass Hammer's official web site).

The down side of this is that they played practically nothing from the one album that I was familiar with, the upside of this is that Susie's was the best voice on the album.  I can't really speak to the specifics of their work as their finale was the only song that I was familiar with.

In general though, they sounded fantastic.  While many of the bands over the weekend suffered from a poor sound mix, Glass Hammer was one of the better sounding bands.  Susie has a wonderful voice and it was nice to hear her as the featured lead throughout the entire show; also the band was tight behind her.  Drummer Matt Mendians started out on what was to be the only drum solo that I had heard over the weekend; I use the term 'started out' as Fred Schendel joined in a few moments later (yes, also on the same drum set) trading placed in the drum seat with Mendians.  It was fun to watch and to their credit, they didn't miss a beat during the transition.

They ended the set with a stellar version of Yes' "The South Side of the Sky"; ironically the only song that I was familiar with hearing them play was a cover.  None the less, with only a minor vocal miscue, the song was done beautifully and was the highlight of their set for me.

Edited by Roland113 - August 19 2009 at 11:38

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 12:39
Crack the Sky Performance Review, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

Crack the Sky took the stage later on that evening and my first thought was that there were a slew of guitars on stage.  Both Bobby Hird and local hero Rick Witkowski took the opposite corners of the stage with their dueling guitars, Bassist Joe Macre slung the third guitar a little off center and lead singer John Palumbo took the center spot with his a guitar of his own.  Unlike many of the previous bands of the weekend, the emphasis here was not on Keyboardist Glen Workman.  Rounding out the band was drummer Joe D'Amico.

One of the most notable things from their show was the energy and chemistry, primarily  emanating from Hird, Witkowski and Macre.  The three were running all over the stage throughout the show and were obviously enjoying themselves.  John Palumbo's stage presence exuded a certain level of cockiness that can only be gained from years of experience of controlling a room.  He was much the embodiment of rock and roll.  

Crack the Sky certainly wasn't straight forward prog in a couple of different ways.  I believe John Palumbo commented himself that he didn't really consider Crack the Sky a progressive rock band, rather a band that simply didn't quite fit into the rest of the genres.  The phlanx of guitars and the consistent energy and movement was a far cry from the seriousness of many of the other acts.  Their high energy set and antics brought a thrill to the appreciative audience that remained for their set.

Their set list spanned the entirety of their career with songs from their debut all through their most recent CD, "The Sale".  While I didn't recognize many of the songs, they didn't play any clunkers.  One of the notable themes throughout their set was the multiple opportunities for the leads (two guitars and keys) to jam;  at times the jams were a more spacey Pink Floyd sounding jam led my keyboardist Glen Workman and at other times a more rocking solo section featuring Hird and Witkowski trading licks and grimaces back and forth.  One brief side note, Mr. Workman apparently plays sans shoes, having had a few old keyboards in my time or should I say, having received electric shocks from a few old keyboards in my time, this strikes me as a very brave thing to do.

They had the audience, jumping by the time the hit the homestretch of their set, launching into "She's a Dancer", "Hold On" then finally "Surf City".  "Surf City" was a fun romp with the last few minutes featuring excursions into Beatles' tunes between "Surf City" bits; included in the medley were "Strawberry Fields", "Daytripper", "You Can't Do That", "Come Together" and finally "All You Need is Love".  Finally they ended the set with "Hot Razors in my Heart".  The faithful was not to be denied though cheering Crack the Sky on until they retook the stage.  John Palumbo announced that they'd do a quick encore as . . . and then he fumbled for a bit until the audience helped him out reminding him that "King's X" was coming up next.  He then confessed to us that he had gotten Citizen X stuck in his head and couldn't come up with their name.  Immediately they jumped into a rocking version of "I am the Walrus" pulling the entire front row and most of the second up onto the stage to dance with them for the finale.  

This show made me a Crack the Sky fan and was a worthy addition to an already fantastic lineup of bands.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 13:47
King's X Performance Review, 3RP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA  8/8/09

The stage set up for King's X was unlike anything else seen to date over the weekend.  For starters, there wasn't a keyboard to be seen!  As if that wasn't enough to let you know that this wasn't your standard prog band, the stage was dominated by amps and speakers.  Both Guitarist Ty Tabor and Dug Pinnick had a wall of amps to convey their signature rumble.  They launched their set off with the crunching "Groove Machine" thumping us all with the heavy bass of Mr. Pinnick the crunching chords of Ty Tabor and drummer Jerry Gaskill assaulting his drums with a ferocity worthy of a Viking in a berserker's rage.

Much like Crack the Sky, much of the progressive fan base of the show, didn't quite appreciate the volume or music of King's X and promptly departed for so called greener pastures.  Those that remained were rather stoic at first.  Dug even commented on this, saying that it was ok; we were allowed to stay in our seats and analyze the music . . . wasn't a lot of fun for the band, but they were cool with that.  

Having played in a band before, you feed off of the audience; a lot of times it's the energy emanating from the fans that can drive you to your best.  I then made it my mission to help the band out as much as possible.  I looked at both Dug's comment and the now empty seats in the front row as an opportunity.  By their third song, my wife and I had moved up three rows to get into the front row.  There was a guy on our left who was also a fan, and shortly after we moved up, someone took the seat to the right of us.  We now had a series of four of us in a row who were obviously King's X fans.  You could tell, we'd be singing along and bobbing our heads, pretty much getting into the band and showing our appreciation.  I'm not certain that it fit the cliché of a progressive concert, but it was sure as heck what I was used to from a rock concert.  Anyways, as the concert progressed, we'd stand up after each song and cheer . . . and move one seat closer to center stage until the four of us had pretty much made it past Ty Tabor.  We were officially in the center of the front row.  Never have I been that close to a band, and never before was I in fear of my life from being impaled by a drum stick.  As I said before, Jerry Gaskill is a very intense drummer and if he had lost a stick in our direction, there would have been a casualty.  Once they did their final bows, I snapped a picture with my phone, just to show you all how close we really were.

My apologies to the guys from Singularity if I blocked your view at all.

Their set rocked through and through including some of the material from XV including the satirical "Pray", and the upbeat "Move".  I was surprised at their omission of anything from "Ogretones" on of my favorite albums by the band.  They did, however, play a lot of their older hits including "Lost in Germany" and "Dogman" which were two of my favorites of the night.  They asked the audience what we wanted to hear and someone called for "Goldilox', to which Dug replied, 'You got it.'  In one of the less successful moves of the night, Dug then turned the microphones around and let the audience sing.  That didn't work out so well.  We started off strong hitting the first two lines with gusto, unfortunately, after that, there was a lot of looking around nervously trying to pick up a word or two.  After the first chorus, Dug ended the song declaring it to be a failed experiment; I believe he used the phrase 'Well, we won't try that again'.

They quickly recovered and rocked through the next song then dropped the feel down again for the soulful "Summerland".  They then launched into "Over My Head" causing a mild stage rush as the pulse of the band thumped into your chest.  I learned at this point that John Jowitt  and IQ's roadie were also King's X fans as they had been part of the stage rush, ending up four seats away from us.  When ever Dug came to the edge of the stage, their roadie was pretty much jumping along to the music . . . between Dug's legs.  You had to be there.

When I first saw King's X back in ninety two or so, their rendition of "Over My Head" was one of the most memorable moments in my concert going career.  In the middle break down, Dug told a story about his life, religion and faith that was truly inspiring.  In my case, while I wasn't as receptive to the religious aspect of his sermon, I appreciated the values of love and family that he espoused at the time.  All throughout the sermon, the audience sung along with the chorus, "Music music I hear music, music I hear music music, music oh oh oh Lord, music over my head".  Fifteen years later, King's X and Mr. Pinnick are not as overtly religious, though make no mistake, this is a band that still reveres God and his teachings; they just don't revere the people that organize religion.  His sermon reflected this change as he was now preaching from the church of rock and roll, though his message equally inspiring.  'Do what God intended you to do, if you’re a musician; don't let anyone tell you not to play'.  Again, the audience sang along and made for a memorable moment.  I wasn't as awed this time as I had been through this once before; on the other hand, my wife who had heard me speak of this moment for years was experiencing this for the first time.  It was amazing to see the impact of the piece as the music and the wisdom energized her.  This was a perfect ending to an amazing weekend . . .

. . . but we weren’t actually done yet, again, the audience cheered and again, we were rewarded with a fantastic encore beginning with "It's Love".  They segued into "We Were Born to be Loved" which absolutely smoked.  The last couple of minutes featured a few odd musical breaks, from my standpoint, the breaks were basically Dug trying to set up John Jpwitt to head bang at the wrong time, he even got him a few times.  My only complaint was that the show was over, I wanted more King's X.  It was great to see the interaction between the bands and again, an amazing weekend all around.

Thank you Howard Levy for putting this together and bringing us all of these great bands.

Edited by Roland113 - August 19 2009 at 13:55

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 13:55
Awesome front row seats.  When I saw them earlier in the year I was sitting at the front row table, but there was a dance floor in between and once King's X came on the floor became filled rather quickly.  Sounds like they put on another good show, even if the crowd wasn't quite right for them.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 13:58
Scott, if you're a fan of King's X, and I know you are, it was an amazing experience.  Yeah, it wasn't the best fit, but for those of us that stayed, they blew the place out.  My wife, who absolutely loves It Bites and IQ came out of the weekend with awards to King's X and Phideaux for putting on the two best shows.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 14:04

The 3RP show would definitely have been a better fit for me than the Nearfest show from earlier this year.  The lineups for the first year and this year consist of many of my favorite bands.  Unfortunately, it has fell on a bad weekend for me both years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12