Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bill Champlin leaves Chicago
    Posted: August 11 2009 at 08:45
Chicago & Bill Champlin Part Ways
Category: Music
August 10, 2009

BILL CHAMPLIN COMES FULL CIRCLE, LEAVING HERITAGE ROCK BAND CHICAGO TO RETURN TO HIS SOLO CAREER

Champlin Launches Fall Tour On November 6th In Support Of No Place Left To Fall, His First Solo Album In More Than 10 Years

After 28 years with Chicago, singer-songwriter-keyboardist Bill Champlin is parting ways with the classic jazz/rock band to focus once again on his solo career. The announcement comes on the heels of the August 4th release of No Place Left to Fall, Champlin’s first solo album in more than 10 years. The two-time GRAMMY® award winner will launch a West Coast tour on November 6th at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, CA. (See below for itinerary.)

“This music is callin’ me,” said Champlin, who first came to prominence with Sons of Champlin, a seminal late-60’s San Francisco band whose soul stylings and complex song structures set it apart from other groups of the psychedelic scene, and a series of critically acclaimed solo albums.

From the funky “Total Control” and soulful “Lookin’ For You” to the exquisite “Never Been Afraid” and the kick-ass come-on “Angelina,” No Place Left to Fall is a career-defining record for Champlin. Released by the East Coast indie label DreamMakers, the CD is accompanied by a 70-minute bonus DVD that includes a documentary on the making of the album directed by news anchor and longtime fan Rod Simons, live footage of Champlin performing recently with the Sons of Champlin and much more. Champlin has already begun readying material for a follow-up album and fans can look forward to more music from Sons of Champlin as well.

Champlin – who handled lead vocals on the #1 hit “Look Away, traded vocals with Peter Cetera on “Hard Habit to Break” and wrote and sang lead on “Hearts in Trouble” for the soundtrack for the blockbuster movie “Days of Thunder” soundtrack during his tenure with Chicago – relishes the opportunity to return to his roots on the upcoming “BICHIN” tour. “A few years ago, I was signing a stack of press photos and going through them at such a clip, I was using only two letters from each name – and I realized that I was signing ‘BICH,’” he recalls. “I’m really looking forward to playing more intimate venues and hearing what fans think of the new music. I can’t wait to spend some one-on-one time with my old and new fans!” Backing him on the tour will be the rhythm section from Santa Fe and the Fat City Horns, who backed Bill on his live solo album “Mayday,” and Champlin’s wife, singer-songwriter Tamara Champlin, on vocals.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 10:21

Best of luck to Bill on his solo endeavors.  I'll have to check out his new album.

Edited by rushfan4 - August 11 2009 at 10:21
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 17:25
Is he on the current Cicago tour?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 19:19
I'm not sure. I just about got tickets for their Kansas City show with Earth Wind & Fire, but my wife decided she didn't want to go. Don't know how much is left in the tour.

Actually, a buddy and I were discussing this today and wondered if David Paich would be interested. I think he retired, so highly doubtful.

E
chillingrooves View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 19:23
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 11">

The CD/DVD just came out, I ordered it at BillChamplin.net  – it was only $14.98
and the DVD is a documentary on the making of the album – which is very nicely done.  I think what stands out most is that Bill is so down to earth and is all about the music not the stardom.

I hear that his label is re-releasing a bunch of his earlier albums as well – gotta get those too!  Can’t get enough of his music!
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 08:50
He can surely sing.   Easy to see why he would want to leave as Chicago isn't exactly pumping out the new albums anymore.  Chicago's tour raps up in a little more than a month.  Kind of rude if he left midstream.  Interesting to see who replaces him as I most always have room for a Chicago CD.

Edited by tdfloyd - August 13 2009 at 08:55
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 19:16
I got this today:

Hi All!

A message from Robert Lamm:

"Bill is a sweet man, obviously talented, has always been successful.He will continue to be. I will always appreciate him.

Chicago is an experiment, an entity that has survived and thrived, we have learned to embrace change.

Jason Scheff & Keith Howland both endured cruel criticism. Lou Pardini will take his turn.

Music is our objective.

I am not a guy who complains or explains. Folks who are asking for 'details' will continue to be left with conjecture. The chatter is like barking dogs in the rear view mirror. We turn a corner, step on the accelerator, we can see infinite positive just ahead.

Let go... And let's go!!!

=================================================================================

I listened to a song via YouTube today and the guy has got a fantastic voice. I've heard of him, but not all that familiar with him. It would behoove Chicago to get in the studio, find an established producer (and nobody from Rascal Flatts) and get a new album out.

E
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 14:22
I'm shocked: Chicago is still active?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 14:37
Yes. Sort of.  They are still touring and about half of the band are still the original members, or at least long-term members.  Their last studio release was Chicago XXXII Stone of Sisyphus, but it was actually recorded in the 1980's but not released by their label until 2008.  Before that they released Chicago XXX in 2006, but without much fanfare. 
CosmicDebris View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 16:33
Just want to clarify, Stone of Sisyphus was recorded in the early 90s, not 80s. I was a member of the fan club at the time  in which they talked about the recording process as it was happening and I got to hear them perform the title track around '94 or so. A copy of the album was actually leaked to the public and passed  around at that time (this was probably somewhat of a bad thing for them). They were met with much resistance from Warner so it ended up being shelved, much to my dismay, especially after how much they said they believed in the project. Not that it is any masterpiece, just an average album really,  but it was honest...something I haven't heard from them in ages.

As for Bill leaving...I guess I saw it coming for some time. It may not have been what he wanted though, looking at the past couple of band member departures....
 Post Reply Post Reply