Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMauricio Sotelo from Cabezas de Cera!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mauricio Sotelo from Cabezas de Cera!
    Posted: March 13 2010 at 15:32
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Guillermo...  let us know if you hear anything about a new album.  I had heard they might be working on one... or at least putting together some new material. 

nice bump sir..  any word of a new album?  CdC was definitely my #1 discovery of last year...

Cool to know they were your best discovery of last yearClap
They are now working on a DVD called "CDC in USA", so let's wait for its release date, I also believe thay are working on a new album, they may give us a surprise soon.

yeah... they had some close competition with Patrick Forgas..  but they won out hahha.  Originality tipped the scale.

Glad to hear it... I don't have my ear to the ground regarding new stuff like I used to. Let us know when that DVD and new album come out so we can pump up the band.  I'll want to get those..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 10:24

Guillermo...  let us know if you hear anything about a new album.  I had heard they might be working on one... or at least putting together some new material. 

nice bump sir..  any word of a new album?  CdC was definitely my #1 discovery of last year...

Cool to know they were your best discovery of last yearClap
They are now working on a DVD called "CDC in USA", so let's wait for its release date, I also believe thay are working on a new album, they may give us a surprise soon.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 16:21

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 03:28
Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 12:53
This is John's review of their self-title album, bravo John!!

Cabezas de Cera by CABEZAS DE CERA album cover Studio Album, 2000
4.10 | 13 ratings

BUY
Cabezas de Cera
Cabezas De Cera Eclectic Prog

Review by sinkadotentree
Prog Reviewer

4 stars It was memowakeman's interview with this band that reminded me about checking them out.I'm so glad i did,and memowakeman has reason to be proud of this Mexican band.An interesting blend of styles here,i thought they'd be listed under Rio/Avant but Eclectic is the better fit in hindsight. "Veintiuno" opens with these different sounds coming and going including some deep bass.Drums then guitar follow with spoken words as well.It kicks in around a minute.The sax sound great 3 minutes in.It settles a minute later with bass then builds back to a heavy sound. "Gocxilla" opens with these explosive sounds that come and go before a minute then this scream.A powerful KING CRIMSON-like section then takes over.It settles before 3 minutes as sounds cry out.Clarinet comes in.It's raining after 4 minutes then it kicks back in heavily before 5 minutes.Amazing tune. "Encantador De Serpientes" opens with strummed guitar,percussion and flute.Drums join in as the tempo picks up.The tempo continues to shift though.Huge bass lines after 3 minutes.Sax before 5 minutes. "Un Pueblo Escondido" opens with some major fuzz.Who do they think they are? A canterbury band?(Haha). The song kicks in around 1 1/2 minutes.I like the guitar and bass here.Some flute as well.Violin 3 1/2 minutes in.I hear children's voices before it kicks back in around 5 minutes with some nice violin and bass. "Caravana" has a surprising Celtic flavour at times with what sounds like a tin whistle.Lots of percussion too then a blast of fuzz.Yes! Drums and trumpet as well.Incredible sound. The song settles then kicks back in one more time.Great song! "Pretexto A Un Texto Fragmentado" is experimental to start out and we get some spoken words which are contrasted throughout with a guitar section. "Gitana" features drums.sax,acoustic guitar and other intricate sounds.Fat bass 2 minutes in. "Frontera" sounds so good.The sax is fantastic and so are the bass and drums. "Al Aire" opens with spoken words and strummed guitar.Sax joins in as the words stop.They continue to take turns.Nice bass 5 minutes in. 4.5 stars for me.I find this recording to be so inventive and interesting.It's challenging yet enjoyable at the same time.
< name=CommentReview242641 =/post_commentreview.asp method=post> Send comments to sinkadotentree (BETA) | Report this review (#242641)
Posted Saturday, October 03, 2009, 11:20 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 21:19
Great interview Memo

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 15:45
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Thank you very much, all of you for the responses so far-
Guigo, I believe the band is going to Chile next month, though dont really know if they plan to visit Brazil, I hope they will do it soon.

And yeah micky, im sure you will have the chance to see them again, i really love this band and i hope this interview help them to gain more listeners in this site, they truly deserve betetr recognition.

Well it reminded me that i need to check them out.They're on my list.
An enjoyable interview Memo! Clap Thanks
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 21:44
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 00:58
Thank you very much, all of you for the responses so far-
Guigo, I believe the band is going to Chile next month, though dont really know if they plan to visit Brazil, I hope they will do it soon.

And yeah micky, im sure you will have the chance to see them again, i really love this band and i hope this interview help them to gain more listeners in this site, they truly deserve betetr recognition.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 23:47
 I hope they come back here.  I'd love to see them again myself.  I think you'd really dig them Guigo.. great stuff. 
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 23:06
Great great job, Memo! Clap

I liked the "charrófono" part... reminded me of the "tritarra" created by O Terço back in 1971! Smile

Any chances for the Cabezas come to Brasil? Big smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 02:44
Thanks Memo, great interview! Wow Cabezas are outstanding. Muaricio is a wonderful musicaian and one of my favorite Stick players ever.

"Arf, she said"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 18:37
definitely... hopefully they'll be back in the states again soon knowing they really made inroads here among prog fans.. especially those here on the east coast that got a chance to see them. 

What I thought was impressive.. even more impressive than their NEARfest show was the show a week later at the Kennedy Center. Raff and I showed up and thought.. OH NO!!! 

we got there just before the band started and the hall was filled..

filled with scores of old biddies and old farts dressed in suits with one foot in the grave ... I figured I was going to see a wig or two.. maybe a set of false teeth go flying when they took the stage and cranked the amps

However what they treated the audience to was less prog.. and a subtle tasteful take on their native Mexican music.  Fascinating... and no wigs or teeth went flying.  

Edited by micky - August 28 2009 at 18:39
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 13:42
Thanks for doing this interview Memo, it's a wonderful band that should get more attention here in PA.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 00:04
Excellent job. ClapClap

Fun read.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 07:40
yepper....  seems like an older interview.. .since they did play Nearfest and knocked it out of the park.  Raff, David, HT, and myself were all impressed with them.. and we all got albums by them.

The next week we caught them again at the Kennedy Center and I got a chance to sit down and talk with their manager and the group was bowled over by their acceptance by prog fans and the reaction they got here in the states this summer. 

Great group... definitely one to check out.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 02:39
Excellent interview indeed! StarStarStarStarStar
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

Big smile  If you don't check this band out, evil gnomes will steal all your tea.
Shamefully...I've not known about them (so all my tea has been stolen by Plankowner LOL)...I read your interview with hearing Cabezas de Cera MySpace samples on my back and was surprised at their originality and flexibility.

What a terrific band! Thanks Guillermo! Clap
prog_carlos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 23:55
thx a lot don memo, is always good, to know a lil more about the bands that we listen to
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 23:24
Excellent interview Guillermo!  

Love this band. Big smile
cucacola54 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 22:37
great interview! thanks Memo, hope to see them live again soon, one of the great bands here in Mexico
Most listened albums last week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>