Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you support universal healthcare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Poll Question: Do you support universal healthcare?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
61 [73.49%]
18 [21.69%]
4 [4.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 21:39
I support the universe.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 22:05
Was just reading the Madoff trial sentencing transcript (incredibly funny and hysterical at times)... but anyway, a point that came up a few times was that people who'd lost their incomes, pensions, etc. with Madoff found themselves worrying about health insurance, their partners' health insurance and so on... now, at the same time you've got the stress of a financial crisis on you, you don't want that.

Now, that's a problem that I think exists with pretending that leaving people to forage for their own healthcare plans is fine.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 23:45
Absolutely, it's ridiculous to think otherwise. Non-supporting it is against Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 00:34
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Absolutely, it's ridiculous to think otherwise. Non-supporting it is against Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

+1
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 01:00
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I support the universe.

Wow, Atlas ain't got nothin' on you.
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 02:46
Obviously the question is not specific enough, but you guys are oversimplifying the discussion with your arguments.  Pretty much everyone believes that all people have the right to some degree of health care, but the argument is how much is everyone entitled to.  I kind of took the poll question of "universal healthcare" to mean the best possible care for everyone, though that may not have been how it was intended.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 08:05
Universal healthcare is a no brainer in a civilised society, I would have thought...

Having grown up with the NHS, and having had short spells in hospitals over the years for trivial things, I have no complants about the service. The treatment my father recieved while dying with Cancer was `second to none. The same goes for my mother after she had a stroke. I've no complaints.

That f***ing Tory d!ckhead who recently went to the States and scared the sh!t out of the American people by running down the NHS, making reference to all the horror stories of people giving birth or dying on trolleys in the UK, should be strung up by his nuts and shot to ribbons! Take my word for it, please dont believe a single word that comes out of the mouth of any UK politican, especially a puffed little Tory sh!thead.

Bear this in mind; you will only ever hear the horror stories. Good news is no news as far as the media is concerned, and busy city hospitals in the US will have their own horror stories, under the current system. The NHS serves a huge population and is the one last institution that the British can be truly proud of.

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 08:31
I've written novels from time to time, and this subject always made me wonder...

Doctors in the US are essentially private businessmen.  They go to school and have to foot the bill themselves (grants aside) like most anyone else.  They have to invest money in beginning a practice.  Etc.

What if, for whatever reason, people no longer decided to become physicians and nurses anymore?  Folks just decided the field isn't profitable enough to get into (or wasn't interesting- again, whatever reason).

What would our government's course of action be in such a scenario (especially with a national health care system)?  Institute a mandatory draft in which certain people are forced into medical school?

Just one of those weird "what if" ideas that came to me.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 08:54
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Doctors in the US are essentially private businessmen.  They go to school and have to foot the bill themselves (grants aside) like most anyone else.  They have to invest money in beginning a practice.  Etc.

What if, for whatever reason, people no longer decided to become physicians and nurses anymore?  Folks just decided the field isn't profitable enough to get into (or wasn't interesting- again, whatever reason).

Well, enjoy your next career as a Wal-Mart greeter or a fast food employee.
Seriously it must be nice to have the luxury to be able invest all that time and money in a career and just quit.

v v v LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 30 2009 at 12:47
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 09:00

I lived in Poland for a year and a half, where the doctors are not well-paid.  In fact, many of them make very little money.  Of course, there's a free education system for Polish citizens (free education...what a concept), so there are no pesky student loans to pay off.  But there are quite a few doctors in Poland.  That's not to say that there aren't problems with the Polish health service, but not everyone thinks that money is the be all and end all of their existence.  There would still be doctors in the US.  Policemen are paid next to nothing for putting their lives on the line on a daily basis, yet many still do it. 

And, a question that comes to mind is do I really want to see a doctor who only went into medicine because he thought he could make a killing? 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 09:12

I've written novels from time to time, and this subject always made me wonder...

What would our government's course of action be in such a scenario (especially with a national health care system)?  Institute a mandatory draft in which certain people are forced into medical school?

This is certainly a very intriguing (and possibly chilling) idea. I can't speak for the US but in the UK the practice of medicine is still seen as a 'calling' and not purely a 'career choice' by most of its General Practitioners (and similarly with the nursing profession to a certain extent). But yes, as you remark, this happy state of affairs rests upon the continuing altruism of those entering the profession (and let's face it here in Australia where I now live there is a shortage of Doctors which is currently addressed by attracting GPs from overseas) These people work obscenely long hours due to staff shortages and no amount of remuneration will ever recompense an individual for the loss of precious free time with their own loved ones.

Although the healthcare system in the UK is far from perfect it does have two constituent parts which seem to be mutually beneficial i.e the Private Sector attracts the wealthier patients who wish to avoid what can be long waiting times in the Public Sector (NHS) for non-life threatening operations and this takes some of the strain off the limited resources of the latter.

I think this compromise solution works reasonably well and for some of the reasons you have outlined above, is infinitely preferable to an exclusively private or public route.

It is sadly inevitable that some people will always abuse whatever liberties and rights you grant them, but this fact alone does not sanction the creation of a control system designed to quantify the moral worthiness of recipients.

Epignosis, you are already a recording artist and a novelist, do you paint as well ? Wink
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 12:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

This is certainly a very intriguing (and possibly chilling) idea. I can't speak for the US but in the UK the practice of medicine is still seen as a 'calling' and not purely a 'career choice' by most of its General Practitioners (and similarly with the nursing profession to a certain extent). But yes, as you remark, this happy state of affairs rests upon the continuing altruism of those entering the profession (and let's face it here in Australia where I now live there is a shortage of Doctors which is currently addressed by attracting GPs from overseas) These people work obscenely long hours due to staff shortages and no amount of remuneration will ever recompense an individual for the loss of precious free time with their own loved ones.

Although the healthcare system in the UK is far from perfect it does have two constituent parts which seem to be mutually beneficial i.e the Private Sector attracts the wealthier patients who wish to avoid what can be long waiting times in the Public Sector (NHS) for non-life threatening operations and this takes some of the strain off the limited resources of the latter.

I think this compromise solution works reasonably well and for some of the reasons you have outlined above, is infinitely preferable to an exclusively private or public route.

It is sadly inevitable that some people will always abuse whatever liberties and rights you grant them, but this fact alone does not sanction the creation of a control system designed to quantify the moral worthiness of recipients.

Epignosis, you are already a recording artist and a novelist, do you paint as well ? Wink

Paint the town red!  Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 12:27

Paint the town red!  Wink

With beer, I'd have to guess. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 30 2009 at 12:46
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 13:09
I'm not for paying someone who stubbed their toe to get a couple days in a hospital/similar lol-worthy services. Big health issues, sure; deal with your own minor crap.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 13:25
We have universal health care here in Scandinavia. Here in Norway we need to cover some minor fees as well, but not to the extent that many are blocked out of using the system.
And anything serious will be treated no matter if you have the money or not.

Here as in many other countries some doctors are grossly overpaid - that's a system fault it's hard to do something about - but apart from that it's a pretty good system.

And I find it increasingly strange to know that there are western countries against this kind of system in this day and age.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 13:26
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Seriously it must be nice to have the luxury to be able invest all that time and money in a career and just quit.

Uh, I think Rob meant people deciding not to enter the medical profession in the first place, i.e. not going to medical school.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 13:44
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

We have universal health care here in Scandinavia. Here in Norway we need to cover some minor fees as well, but not to the extent that many are blocked out of using the system.
And anything serious will be treated no matter if you have the money or not.

Here as in many other countries some doctors are grossly overpaid - that's a system fault it's hard to do something about - but apart from that it's a pretty good system.

And I find it increasingly strange to know that there are western countries against this kind of system in this day and age.
Grossly overpaid?Ermm
yeah, 10+ years of schooling, thousands of dollars in debt, incredible stress,
seems to me that they deserve to be highly paid.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 13:59
No. Not at all. Why should I have to pay for other people's problems? Next thing that's coming is communism. I'm watching Obama destroy America one bill at a time.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 14:00
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Uh, I think Rob meant people deciding not to enter the medical profession in the first place, i.e. not going to medical school.

Yeah, you're right, I misread that.  What more profitable enough fields are they going to go into instead?  What if most jobs meant a paycheck that most people can't live off of?  What if the standard of living for most folks were under attack from those with the most power and money?  What if the regulations that were put into place to keep the economy from going whack were dismantled so that those at the top were able to accumulate vast amounts of wealth at the expense of the people that really do work hard for a living?

Sorry about that, I should have moved it over to the economical discussion thread, though the two do intertwine.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 30 2009 at 14:11
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 14:07

Ah, the good ol' socialism fear LOL

What if in an extremely market-liberal society we drop all the securities for the working doctor and he's forced to work for slave wages in the murdering competition, if he's to have a job at all? Just one of those weird "what if" ideas that came to me.

I mean, these sorts of predictions feel a bit silly, coming from both sides
Smile

I can only talk for Sweden, but being a doctor is a prestigious job with career opportunities and good salary.

Edited by LinusW - August 30 2009 at 14:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>