Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBetween The Buried And Me Vs. Protest The Hero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 18:37
I can tell that PTH have a lot of talent, but BTBAM is the one I keep coming back to.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 21:18
It's really hard for me to say which one I prefer.
I think Kezia is better than Alaska, but Colors is a little bit better than Fortress. I'd say that BTBAM have the edge, slightly, but both are definitely two bands that I've been listening to heaps in the last 14-15 or so months.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 21:22
I can't stand PTH's singer. I love BTBAM. Did you guys hear their new album preview? 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 21:26
^Yeah, I heard the album teaser on myspace yesterday. I creamed myself, lol.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 01:01
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

The annoying part of the bands in question comes from the fact that at their base they're really just modern Hot Topic metalcore--and by this I mean the cookie cutter fashionable bands that use chug-chug breakdowns every 10 seconds and melodic chorus sections. 

When does this happen ever with PtH? And what a handful of times with BtBaM?

I agree with this, not to mention BTBAM hasn't really sounded that way since The Silent Circus.

I think your argument is flawed because by stripping away parts of their sound you have a totally different one. What PtH and BTBAM do is so far beyond the alleged roots of their sound that it shouldn't matter what their roots are anyhow (at least to an open mind). I can understand that you might not like that metalcore sound, but you're basically saying that they're not great because if you took away the things that made them great, they aren't great.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 01:07
Smile

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 01:28
BTBAM and PTH are way past the cookie cutter stage and well into their own game, and dare I say these guys are at the top of their game and what they do.
Tommy's vocals are no longer metalcore-ish scream. Going through my iTunes list and comparing the vocal style of Tommy's death growls to that of "pure" death metal bands reveals he's voice has lost that core edge. f**k, listening to Arch Enemy against BTBAM made Angela Gassow sound like a screamer in comparison and Arch Enemy is pretty much as melodic death as it comes, proof how much more depth he's added to his vocal tone as a death metal vocalist.
Yeah, the band never lost their metalcore roots, but the members are fans of Pantera and death metal as well and on Colors it shows, with the increasingly less core element of their sound.
And anyway, about the only breakdowns I can think of on Colors were on Prequel to the Sequel and White Walls and the band doesn't put them in there for the sake of it, if you read the lyrics they serve as a proper climactic point in the songs.

PTH never lost their post hardcore roots, you can still tell that's where they came from (and the same can be said of TMV and their post hardcore lineage from ATDI, no matter how progressive TMV got you can still hear it in their sound), but f**k, in the 5 years between a A Calculated Use of Sound to Fortress the band made a phenomenal improvement in their musicianship.
In fact I've seen few bands make such an improvement, from playing fairly standard post hardcore to being able to play extremely technical/virtuosic progressive metal/metalcore is such an incredible feat I think.
To me, when I hear the word cookie cutter metalcore, I think the latest Killswitch Engage stuff and those kind bands were the feel from some of the previous albums to the newer ones barely changed.

PTH however went the opposite route and made their music less accessible and challenging over time.
Cookie-cutter and going the way of less commercial sounding each album just isn't the same thing, period. It's a band that's pushed against the tide of typical "mallcore".

Again, as Chris said, people don't have to like the core sound, but cookie cutter these 2 bands ain't, that's for sure.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 01:39
PTH

I usually hate hardcore, but I love PTH.
Jonky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 16:46
I think it's hard to compare the two as their sounds are both completely different. But for me it's BTBAM. Even though I still adore PTH and seeing them next month, so it's all good Smile
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 17:40
BtBAM no contest.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Qboyy007 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 17:51
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Originally posted by Dim Dim wrote:

Protest the hero. I only have Fortress and Colors. Fortress is a three star album, Colors a two IMO.

Both are really talented, I just have trouble getting into any kind of music with a "core" in the end.

LOL You f**king listen to post metal and then say you have trouble getting into core music.
Lol, you of all people should know how much influence post metal draws from hardcore/post hardcore. Without hardcore/post hardcore, a sh*t ton of post metal bands wouldn't even exist mang.

LOL You f**king listen to rock and then say you have trouble getting into jazz music.
Lol, you of all people should know how much influence rock draws from jazz. Without jazz, a sh*t ton of rock bands wouldn't even exist mang.

...Do you know how retarded you sound?
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 18:04
BtBaM very slightly for me.

And yeah, Harry is posting epicwin.

Edited by birdwithteeth11 - November 01 2009 at 18:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12