Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBetween The Buried And Me Vs. Protest The Hero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Between The Buried And Me Vs. Protest The Hero
    Posted: September 01 2009 at 16:58
One Progressive Metalcore band versus the other. Both bands acclaimed by fans to be unbelievably technical and fast in their writing. Although most prog-passersby at this site would surely like to spit on the face of any kind of hardcore Prog-Metal band, I know there are some fans judging by the album reviews. So, I have always thought that these two incredibly unique groups were the only ones to relate to each other. I would like to know what you think about that statement (if you can decipher the meaning through the terror that is my language skills) !

Don't be afraid to ask me to clarify that statement...
Aging is the worst.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 18:31
I love both bands, but for me BTBAM gets the edge.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 20:48
Protest the hero. I only have Fortress and Colors. Fortress is a three star album, Colors a two IMO.

Both are really talented, I just have trouble getting into any kind of music with a "core" in the end.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 20:55
God Ian you have such horrible taste in music.

Love both of the bands and both have several albums that rate in the tops of the decade and really history. Kezia though is just so so so good. I don't really know what exactly I enjoy more about PtH. I definitely enjoy Rody a great deal more than Tommy I think for obvious reasons, but I can't elaborate much more.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 20:55
Originally posted by PJreed PJreed wrote:

most prog-passersby at this site would surely like to spit on the face of any kind of hardcore Prog-Metal band

spitoooey

... moving right along, then....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 21:00
As always you have made an invaluable contribution to the discussion.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 21:06
Walterdigsfossils strikes again... leaving no impression on us in any way.

Edited by Dim - September 01 2009 at 21:07
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 21:28
BtBaM are more up my street if I'm honest. Both bands are exciting though and probably the closest thing to metalcore I'll ever listen to

And Walter.

Nice to hear your worthless opinion once again. Nice one
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 21:32
Originally posted by Dim Dim wrote:

Protest the hero. I only have Fortress and Colors. Fortress is a three star album, Colors a two IMO.

Both are really talented, I just have trouble getting into any kind of music with a "core" in the end.

LOL You f**king listen to post metal and then say you have trouble getting into core music.
Lol, you of all people should know how much influence post metal draws from hardcore/post hardcore. Without hardcore/post hardcore, a sh*t ton of post metal bands wouldn't even exist mang.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 22:29
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

LOL You f**king listen to post metal and then say you have trouble getting into core music.
Lol, you of all people should know how much influence post metal draws from hardcore/post hardcore. Without hardcore/post hardcore, a sh*t ton of post metal bands wouldn't even exist mang.
Whats your point? I find a lot of hardcore to be really excessive and unorginized. Most post metal groups dont even use double bass and play at pretty modest tempos. Hardcore however never seems to hold a beat without having to do some crazy fill or upping the dosage of double bass, also I cant stand the lack dynamics, no climactic points, no softer parts, sh*t the closest thing to dynamc I can think of in core music is break downs and gravity blasts, and for the most part, they all sound the same to me.

Post metal groups...
Isis - Granted they had a hardcore influence, but the last three albums virtually have no influence whatsoever. more sludge than anything else.

Pelican - Not hardcore at all, more punk actually.

Cult of Luna - Doom metal combined with sludge, no hardcore at all.

Neurosis, started out as a hardcore punk group, and by todays standards, hardcore and hardcore punk have almost nothing in common.

I can name how every post metal group I've ever heard almost has no ties to hardcore so STFUGTFOLOLROFL.

Post hardcore has too many guys trying to sing like girls, it's pretty degrading IMO, groups like Circa and The Fall of Troy would be much better if they had testosterone.

Who did I piss off?
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 23:07

Would you care to explain the 'core' elements in post metal bands? I really don't see a ton of similarity between post-metal and post-hardcore, even though I know that bands like Isis are typically thrown in the same category.

In any event both bands are really great, and are indeed a way that I can like 'core' music. I wouldn't really call Protest the Hero insanely technical, but they're awesome anyways.

BTBAM for me though.

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 01:34
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

As always you have made an invaluable contribution to the discussion.

And still Waltersh*tsOnMusic continues to insult people by using an image of Zappa as an avatar ... a man that was about 100 times more open minded than he'll ever be.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - September 02 2009 at 01:34
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:43

Hey it's all metal guys Hug

Hardcore isn't our enemy. After all it spawned a hell of a lot of genres like Grindcore that I presume we all thoroughly enjoy

I say we declare war on the haters, not ourselves.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:50
I love both of these bands,and have followed their careers since their beginnings.

If I had to pick one BtBaM would slightly edge out PtH.BtBaM are really starting to experiment ,progress and stretch their musical boundaries.They get better and better with every album.And Tommy Rogers is a freakin genius.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 09:51
@topic creator....this isn't really a poll so I need to move it.

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 10:32

1st:  Yes, post-metal is in part derived from post-hardcore.

The annoying part of the bands in question comes from the fact that at their base they're really just modern Hot Topic metalcore--and by this I mean the cookie cutter fashionable bands that use chug-chug breakdowns every 10 seconds and melodic chorus sections.  I have a difficult time getting into anything based on modern Hot Topic Metalcore.

I really can't get into BTBAM at all.  I've tried.  people say Colors is a new classic record.  I don't get it, but that's just me.

However, I have a tiny little soft spot in my heart for Protest the Hero.  They're just so damn silly and they make me giggle with their twiddly shenanigans.  Fortress is a great record for just that reason.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 10:42
I'm old and have to work to get into this. I'm listening to Colors right now and there are moments that are pure genius (mostly the prog) but the metal core moments don't make me want to get up and thrash around as much as PtH does. Which to me is the only point of that music. Or maybe to get out my anger. I don't listen to PtH that much because I don't feel the need to smash things all that often. I wish BTBaM would ditch the pure cookie monster for some kind of hybrid ala Cynic and think they're capable of making a progmetal masterpiece. I've been putting off the review but maybe I'll do that today.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 13:35
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

The annoying part of the bands in question comes from the fact that at their base they're really just modern Hot Topic metalcore--and by this I mean the cookie cutter fashionable bands that use chug-chug breakdowns every 10 seconds and melodic chorus sections. 

When does this happen ever with PtH? And what a handful of times with BtBaM?
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 14:23
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

The annoying part of the bands in question comes from the fact that at their base they're really just modern Hot Topic metalcore--and by this I mean the cookie cutter fashionable bands that use chug-chug breakdowns every 10 seconds and melodic chorus sections. 

When does this happen ever with PtH? And what a handful of times with BtBaM?

Well clearly PtH and BTBAM do not explicitly fit that description, but the scene they derive from (and still sometimes associate with) does.  Both bands draw from a variety of progressive influences, but if you stripped all that away, you would find a simple fashionmetalXcore band, in the same way that if you stripped the prog away from Opeth you would find a straightforward death metal band.

The fact that they stand out from their peers can't (at least in my mind) totally separate them from associations with the awful music of their peers.

In the end, I like PtH much better because they derive more influence from power and thrash metal than most anything else, at least on Fortress.  their earlier record was much more of a metalcore album and I don't really like it.  Fortress sounds more 'metal' and less '-core'.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 18:24
If you stripped away all their progressive elements both bands would sound completely different. They both have tons of progressive elements, and are based in progressive post-hardcore (PTH) and progressive metalcore (BTBAM). While sometimes the fact that they're associated with the hardcore scene does put me off sometimes, as I do not see me as some 'scene' kid who goes to shows to be cool, they do make excellent music and above all that means all the difference.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>