Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 11:04
^ I can't say with absolute certainty The locations were faked for those others and those accounts will be banned/ suspended/ reported as well as removing reviews. He rated his own work 5 stars and he also did the one star rating for COMPASSIONIZER Narrow Is the Road. I have dealt with all of the accounts mentioned and compiled a lot of other info (for future reference too in case others try to rate them) which I will go through at my own leisure later. Big job, thanks for reporting.

Edited by Logan - December 21 2022 at 11:50
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 10:55
Is it the actual artist Greco?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 10:45
^ What it ends up doing is making the artist look bad and suspicious and turns people against the music. Will deal with, and update this post later. All one person from Mexico so far, as expected.

Edited by Logan - December 21 2022 at 10:50
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 10:23
That's ridiculous

Also

https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=75774

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 21 2022 at 10:29
Ian

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 10:12
Newcomer (november 7) "ARMY BANNERS" (Ammy Banners) seems to have appeared with the sole intent of denigrating the albums at the top of the current 2022 charts in order to promote band GRECO BASTIÁN:

https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=75775

Same with Jean Coleman ("PROGHEAD87", joined in September)

https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=75586

Ditto with Marcus Evans "(marcusevans", joined December 20)

https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=75943

And Biztie Harp ("Meurglys3", also joined December 20)

https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=75944

All joining merely to promote Bastián and take down those album ranked above.
I find this behavior sickening and not to be tolerated. 

(P.S. My retaliatory demotion of the Greco Bastián LP--a very good album--is merely intended to be temporary--until the other issues are rectified.) 

Edited by BrufordFreak - December 21 2022 at 10:16
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 17:13
^ removed
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 16:55
COLLAGE - Over and Out shows one five-star rating (Release Date: December 2).
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2022 at 06:45
Yeah, I don't see much wrong with it.
Ian

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2022 at 06:37
I didn't really see a problem with tempest77's review. He disliked the record and went into detail about the reasons why. He expressed himself forcefully but I think that's legitimate. Nobody complains about hyperbolic praise when someone is giving a five star review - and there are plenty of reviewers of this particular album who view it as the Second Coming in musical form. Quite rightly, they're free to express their enthusiasm. Music generates emotional reactions, and a vehement reaction either positive or negative is something reviewers should have leeway to express.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2022 at 19:42
Yeah, I wouldn't really say your review came off as being offended. Maybe a bit ranty here and there, but haven't most of us written the occasional rant review here and there? I know I certainly have LOL (in fact, I would say that about my review of Cynic's Kindly Bent to Free Us)

Edited by Necrotica - February 23 2022 at 19:59
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2022 at 19:09
"Offended" is a rather mischaracterized term for my thoughts on it. I find the lyrics incredibly frustrating because they feed into a lot of common misrepresentations of problems with today's society (e.g. complaining about "starting at a screen" instead of addressing the root problem of the media industry perpetuating the idea of having a "perfect" self image). I wrote an extensive response to the Facebook comment user Second Life Syndrome left on my review that delves into this further; I am also working on incorporating parts of that response into an edited version of the review so as to clarify some parts of it.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 16:13
I like the lyrics that offended the reviewer.  That said..."To each their own."

"You're just a Mona Lisa staring at a screen / Knows nothing of the Nephilim and all that goes unseen / Another would be Socrates just melting in the crowd / Doesn't know who Lennon was, the legend of The Shroud".

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 22 2022 at 16:14
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 13:36
Well, in all fairness, he DID say "the fact that I got genuinely more angry about this album throughout the hour that I spent writing this review"

Still, it is rather harsh.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 13:00
Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

Is this really an appropriate rating?  What are your thoughts?  It seems more like a rant about being offended than about the music or album itself.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2545767

Despite the rather long editorial about lyrical content, the album still remains the topic. I did however PM the writer about the multiple asterisked swear words.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 12:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

PORCUPINE TREE -  Closure / Continuation, that's supposed to be released in June has already got 7 ratings. 

These ratings need to be nuked. 

Squashed!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 10:22

Is this really an appropriate rating?  What are your thoughts?  It seems more like a rant about being offended than about the music or album itself.

it seems like a rant indeed, but at least he explained himself. 
I wouldn't say it's abuse. 
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 10:06

Edited by Second Life Syndrome - February 22 2022 at 10:06
theprogmind.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 09:18

PORCUPINE TREE -  Closure / Continuation, that's supposed to be released in June has already got 7 ratings. 

These ratings need to be nuked. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2022 at 12:16
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

There are promo copies out in the wild. They may be legit.

Thanks for the info as I knew nothing about this release other than it wasn't officially out yet.

For any that might not know and reads this:

Even if raters have given "proper" listens to legitimate promo copies, we don't keep or want ratings-only before the official release time because we want to see a justification and explanation with a proper review that talks about, say, the legitimate advance copy acquisition and demonstrates that it has been listened to. We have a higher bar for pre-official release ratings and reviews in some ways. There has been so much abuse in such cases before.

Clap

Hi,

I can see the need to "push" something to make sure it succeeds or gets some excitement going, and the record business has been doing this for a long time, and I remember Tower Records on the Strip having posters for upcoming albums for many bands. And one of the posters was trying hard to get folks to come see Iggy and the Stooges ... which had been a sell out before anyway, so a new poster trying to get the excitement going is more ... ho hum stuff for me.

But all in all, this is one of the reasons why I recommend that "singles" not be allowed a review ... in the cases here, until its actual release, but if the band sent the song as is likely the case with Marillion, and REMEMBER ... they have ALWAYS been on the side of their fans, even going so far as having them provide the funds for them to do an album in the 90's. 

But in general, I can see the possible abuses, and I would rather that we do not treat ALL THE MUSIC as the record companies did way back when ... and eventually get some more free adverts off it. 

But, as Damo suggested, seeing it all come from one IP, changes things, and I would probably ban that person, or at least suspend all the extra/secondary accounts.

This was a side issue to the comments I made about reviews that were missing, and the incredible number of SINGLES in it, most of which are EXACTLY the same as the album! The duplication, is just adding more trash and litter to the database that it does not need (we could just add a line pointing it to the album, for example) ... but we would need a patrol baron to keep track of those, and I would likely want to see the singles not be reviewed ... but then what you gonna do about "Light My Fire" ... from the album in its entirety, from the EP which is missing a few bars (not all EP's were the same as I have heard 2 of them), from the AM radio version (instrumental passages taken out) ... and of course, the famous (never heard by anyone here!) version that Guy Guden produced that was only 12 seconds long! DO WE REALLY need all those reviews? ... OOOKKK I'm ready to trash all cuts, except Guy's since it was a satirical comment about radio at the time! And the AM version needs to be trashed ... specially as it was in MONO, not even the stereo on the album! How's that for an insult to the band?

WE have to make a serious stand ... but we might need one other person or two to help clean these things up! And I have no idea how long I could do it, if half of the stuff I would like to remove in denied! Well, some PF singles did appear that were not on albums until 20 years later! So I guess some of those were OK!

But the abuses of the whole thing I am totally against and with you all!

Edited by moshkito - February 15 2022 at 12:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2022 at 23:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

There are promo copies out in the wild. They may be legit.

Thanks for the info as I knew nothing about this release other than it wasn't officially out yet.

For any that might not know and reads this:

Even if raters have given "proper" listens to legitimate promo copies, we don't keep or want ratings-only before the official release time because we want to see a justification and explanation with a proper review that talks about, say, the legitimate advance copy acquisition and demonstrates that it has been listened to. We have a higher bar for pre-official release ratings and reviews in some ways. There has been so much abuse in such cases before.

Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>