Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 13:53
^ And in these cases, band cannot admit that it was its leakage. So we're not sure if it's leak or illegal downloading. Difficult.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 14:54

I receive some CDs well before the release date due to reasons which will remain private. But I always make sure that the reviews are not published before the release date. So the best rule to avoid any conflicts with the record labels and bands is not to accept any reviews before the release date.

Simple.  

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 17:14
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I receive some CDs well before the release date due to reasons which will remain private. But I always make sure that the reviews are not published before the release date. So the best rule to avoid any conflicts with the record labels and bands is not to accept any reviews before the release date.

Simple.  

Even when I agree with you and rather wait until the release date (I posted the bio and review of Anton Roolaart exactly at 8:00 am of the date of release, even when Anton sent me the album several days before, the effect was great, we have the first OFFICIAL bio and review in the net), the pre-release reviews  have been discussed and accepted with limits.

I have received lots of albums before being released, specially from Symphonic bands that want to be included ASAP, so if by request of the band I have to write a review before the official release, I make sure to mention that the album was provided by the band, and to make the most impartial review I'm able to do..

Iván

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 15:54
This album will be released in late November, but it already has a rating. 
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 17:10
^^^ All those ratings should be nuked unless:

It's a pre-release special that's sanctioned by the band/label.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuxon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 21:06
The question remains how does an album get out in the open without the band somehow releasing it.

leaking is almost never accidental, more often completely deliberate. why should we care. let the bands involved themselves take steps to avoid leakings, we should be free to listen and review any album we have.

pre-release leakage, doesn't mean the album is any different than after release, and as the artist has an interest in leaking (why else would they leak it) why should we be concerned about it.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 21:16
I'd agree but tuxon but we do have to live in PA...and I thought it was against the rules to review albums before they are officially released.

And yes Ben, if someone would illegally obtain Agalloch they must be nukedNuke
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 04:59
Can an admin get rid of the Agalloch rating please, the album is still over a month away from being released.

Thanks.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 10:33
Rating deleted. If the guy has an official preview copy, it would be if he would actually review it.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 14:06
Back when I managed a CD store, it was not unusual to get promo copies before the release date, for in-store play.  I don't know how they would feel about pre-release reviews, but I doubt any band or label wouldn't want the publicity.

I suppose a site policy on this should be decided upon & posted.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 14:25
The policy has been stated a few times. Essentially, we'll only accept reviews of genuine promotional copies prior to the release date, not leaks or pirate copies. Enforcement of this is of course not an exact science, but it generally works OK. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 15:29
Thanks guys.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 12:07

AGALLOCH Marrow Of The Spirit ratings only

chronological order | showing rating only
Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

Marrow of the Spirit is the upcoming fourth album of the metal band Agalloch, set to be released on November 23, 2010, through Profound Lore Records

Geek
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 12:09
^Unbridled enthusiasm.  I get one of their tenets for "masterpiece" is not that the album must hold up well over timeLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 22:39
There are 11 ratings for Agalloch's future release now. Some of them are * ratings from people who are evidently trying to push up other albums in the chart, like these guys:  ten.years.after (his only login was to give those ratings, he didn't come back) and tortoisetree.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 05:08
On their label site it was announced yesterday this album is officially on sales from Friday,Nov 12.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/

So, all ratings (and even reviews - we have review)made before that date looks as not very legal?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 05:46
It would probably be best if people didn't add albums until they are on sale, obviously that is the root of these problems.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 06:33
The root is that people are allowed to rate or review once an album is added Smile every good thing has a bad counterpart ...

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:06
^ thats what I'm saying, why don't we quit adding albums before they are on sale.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:15
We can't. Any member is entitled to add albums and there is no mechanism in place to check all these release dates.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>