Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 46>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:20
Maybe if an album is added before it goes on sale we should delete the addition rather than wait for the inevitable reviews that will have to be deleted. Seems to me we are going about this backwards.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:22
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Maybe if an album is added before it goes on sale we should delete the addition rather than wait for the inevitable reviews that will have to be deleted. Seems to me we are going about this backwards.

ClapClapClap

Yes, I don't understand why we can't quickly solve this continuous problem. 

We either have a rule not to add albums until sale date (and quickly delete any that are added before the release date), or, we give up this other rule that says you can rate/review until that date.

Two options....let's pick one and move on!  Otherwise we'll driving Admin nuts with this same complaint until the end of time. 

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:48
Thank you Jim, I have been saying this for a year or two now. If an album isn't supposed to be reviewed, then it shouldn't be up for review, how much common sense does that take.

We also wouldn't need to go around witch hunting for early additions, but when that first bogus review comes in that gets everyone's attention, then get rid of the addition.

Either that or quit sweating the early reviews, because to tell you the truth, the way bands do promotions with their fan clubs these days, its hard to tell which early releases are legit or not.

Edited by Easy Money - November 13 2010 at 09:49
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 09:52
Errm... yeah, right. That could work. Except that it looks a bit silly for 'The Ulmatimate Prog Rock Resource' to not be amongst the first to list an album on its site. Not very ultimate if others don't follow the same policy.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:05
Yes, but once the album is added, if you scroll down the page our site prompts you to review this album ...

Anybody else catching whats illogical about this scenario?

Edited by Easy Money - November 13 2010 at 10:11
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:06
You have to figure that the ratings/reviews of people who pirate and listen are either going to be blatantly fanboy (5 stars) or blatantly hater (1 star) reviews for the most part. It might just be best to put a disclaimer saying we don't try to filter out all reviews before the release date, so take them all with even more grain of salt.

Anyone who's looking up the album before the date will know to disregard one star reviews (even more so for ratings) if they have any common sense.

And if there are well-thought out reviews of the album in any range that seem to be a fair appraisal of the album, there's really no reason for disregarding it anyway, before the release date or not. The chances of the tracks being wrong are not that high, and someone who couldn't figure that out before reviewing the album would probably not write a well thought-out review anyway. Disregard once more.

Not very many people review from CD quality tracks, anyway, and even more people listen to album rips of various bitrate quality, and that doesn't change after a release date.

The point is, we should filter for quality of reviews, before the release date especially. Just because an album was leaked 3 weeks before release doesn't mean that album isn't still a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 star record.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:22
I think we should have the possibility to have new albums added before the date of release, every musical site do it,nothing is wrong with that, and it's good to be on the edge of newest information.

But I think the easiest (and possibly the best) way is just to confirm the rule no reviews/ratings could be edited before the day of official album's release. It will solve everything.

I am sure it wouldn't work at once, but for everyone who is in charge it will be easy just to delete all reviews/ratings before the time, and step after step we will bring this in order.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:29
You guys are missing something here. When an album is added to PA, there is prompt at the bottom of that album page that encourages you to write a review or rating for that album.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:40
Yes, but what is the problem for everyone, who own the leak and didn't find the album on PA just to add it first, and right then to review it or add rating?

I think technically both cases are absolutely the same. You can't block writing the review/voting for added album, and you can't block the addition of such album (everyone can do it).

In both cases we can have very concrete rule, and just try to control the situation. At least, every vote/review added against the rule would be deleted more easily than today, when we have long discussion about every such case. Then it will be more technical question
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:44
I think it is illogical to ask someone to write a review and then delete it.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:06
Most of the albums I review nowadays are promo copies. Some of these albums aren't even out for another month when I review them. I'm sure lots of other people receive promos as well. Removing any albums prior to release date would infuriate me.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:12
Well don't be mad Jeff.  Just don't post reviews of albums until release date, as per the rules.  

snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:13
I really don't care is reviewed copy a leak or original. The problem I see is of legal character, and I almost sure PA as site can have the problems with pre-released reviews. If one will be able to bring confirmation that his pre-release copy was legal one, it's great, but if not? And who will deal with all these problems then?

We all know that 99% of all pre-release reviews are done from leaks. If we will leave everything as it is (and such pre-release reviews are not such a rare case on PA), one day we will have serious problems for sure.

So - should we   establish a special service on PA for checking if every pre-release review is done from legal release (promo,etc)? I can't imagine it at all.

Edited by snobb - November 13 2010 at 11:16
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:13
Sure Jeff, we're past that one now, we all agree to put the album up early, but just realize it comes with an automatic encouragement to write a review, so people shouldn't be surprised if the album gets reviewed.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:15
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

On their label site it was announced yesterday this album is officially on sales from Friday,Nov 12.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/

So, all ratings (and even reviews - we have review)made before that date looks as not very legal?

Yes, I didn't know this when I posted. They made the album available already because of the leak.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:18
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

On their label site it was announced yesterday this album is officially on sales from Friday,Nov 12.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/

So, all ratings (and even reviews - we have review)made before that date looks as not very legal?
Yes, I didn't know this when I posted. They made the album available already because of the leak.

Yes,you right. But it doesn't change the situation - pre-Friday review and ratings all were done before official release date (happily from yesterday it not a problem anymore)

Edited by snobb - November 13 2010 at 11:19
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:22
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I think it is illogical to ask someone to write a review and then delete it.

I got your point there,John. I agree if there is no other way, possibly it's better don't accept albums addition before date of release.

But - everyone who writes pre-release review from leak perfectly knows, what he/she is doing. So possibly they shouldn't be surprised if such reviews will be deleted. Just my opinion

Edited by snobb - November 13 2010 at 11:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:26
I see the Agalloch reviews/ratings are still there.   Are they going to be removed?  Or are we going to change the policy to allow reviews prior to official street date?

Something has to give.  You can't have published rules that everyone just ignores.  If the rule sucks and everyone hates it, then lets change it.  Otherwise, let's enforce it. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:34
If you guys want to delete the reviews go ahead, but this is an illogical system.

Out on the open on PA, a new album addition comes with an automatic prompt and encouragement to write a review, meanwhile, back here in secret we are going to delete those reviews and the people who are being encouraged to write reviews don't even know this, it makes no sense.

EDIT: I realize the reviews should go, but its weird they are being encouraged first.

Edited by Easy Money - November 13 2010 at 11:40
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:38
IMO the problem with such ratings (and sometimes reviews) is that often bands and/or their staff are watching PA, which is the case of Agalloch (especially considering they were interested to get a promo review from PA), and we don't want to look as a place where those who pirate gather. The best solution would be to close the rating/reviewing service until the release date and only allow real promo reviews upon request. And regarding the strong marketing done with promo items, I hope none of you actually believes those Agalloch ratings come from promo copies...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 46>