Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 46>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 08:10
A number of people seem to be abusing the rating system again, could we please do something with the individuals below (especially the top one)

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:03

I've noticed some of those jokers before.
Apparently it's fun to rate every single metal album - and especially a tech/extreme one with 1 star.
Maybe there's a relation with IP addresses. Often these guys have multiple personality disorder.

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=40727

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=1636

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:54
^ & ^^ Nothing significant in the IPs, nothing suspicious either. Just 4 people being d***heads.
Symphonicrockfran is proving himself to be 'unhealthily polarised' in the forum too.

What?
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:15
I posted this in the wrong thread before:
This is obvious abuse: http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=19023
Too bad for that one last review, because that was actually a good and reasonable review.

This one too: http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=21348 is at least suspicious.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:22
That first one is beyond ridiculous, it's almost funny.
Rating all albums from the eclectic quarters 1 star, and then not to cast too much suspicion rate one with a 4. A band he probably has some ties to one way or the other.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 02 2013 at 08:24
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:33
^But as I said, the review for the 4-star album was very good, and it's the first rating for the album.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:43
Then he should just stick to that.
Even if the review is written by a band member, it can still be of value, it's when they then proceed to peddle it up through the charts that it all gets a little distasteful imo.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 10:42
[QUOTE=twseel]I posted this in the wrong thread before:
Too bad for that one last review, because that was actually a good and reasonable review.

If someone cares enough to log on Progarchives and look up an album they dislike (love) so passionately, this person in theory should care enough to justify their opinion by writing a review. Just a thought. No review? Can leave 2-, 3- and 4-start ratings only. Want to leave * or *****? Cough up your 100 words, s'il te plait. .

Also, if the software allows, it may be a good idea to limit one's one-star and five-star quota to 10% each of the overall number of the ratings they left. E.g. if someone filed 100 ratings altogether, they wouldn't be able to leave more than 10 one-star ones and no more than 10 five-star ones.

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 10:55
I like both ideas, but the second one more than the first one. The reason that people don't leave a review is quite often because they can't write one very well. Therefore, forcing to write a review may upset a lot of people.
For the second idea, it should only go when you have at least a certain number of ratings overall, because otherwise you couldn't do any of your first reviews with five stars. 
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 14:23

Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

. Therefore, forcing to write a review may upset a lot of people.

Not to be facetious, but anything may upset a lot of people. Whatever you do, is going to upset someone. Even if you refrain from doing anything, it will upset someone. 

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 14:27
ConfusedOk, that's true, but I think this will upset more people than when you don't do it.
brobin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 10:06
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 10:15
^All these members have many other ratings on their account.
It seems highly improbable to me that it's abuse.
brobin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 10:23
yes but almost all of them have only one review of the same cd.....
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 11:07
^^^ it actually looks pretty suspicious but it could be "friends" of the band, the promoter or whoever else... not sure if this can be considered abuse but the Admins could check IPs...
brobin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 11:23
sorry!.... then it is my fault ...
I did not imagine that a freinds of the band could do reviews , logically positive.... I did not realize this Confused
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 13:42
Originally posted by brobin brobin wrote:

sorry!.... then it is my fault ...
I did not imagine that a freinds of the band could do reviews , logically positive.... I did not realize this Confused
Ah, bolocks. I fing hate ratings manipluators and I fing hate having to go through the database looking for them and I fing hate having to waste my time deleting their sht ratings and suspending their fing shtty little accounts. As you seem to be such an expert, perhaps you could give your expert opinion on these accounts and their ratings: algos, blacksmith77, giles.on, grey.l, hamelprog, ivan.prektovic, lunasol, marrakesh, nahoum, origin of symmetry, pimko, powell86, ragingbull, seaoflight, sonicS, telen76 and titus1984 ... that is probably an incomplete list but I got fing bored looking
What?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 14:00
^ sorry you have to go through that Dean... Unhappy

Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

I posted this in the wrong thread before:

This one too: http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=21348 is at least suspicious.
yep this is pretty ridiculous
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 18:38
^Agreed. Shame really, as his one written review ain't bad until you get to this verbal clanger:

You should drop a few hits of acid a couple hours before listening to this.Confused

Such naughtiness aforethought cannot be condoned on the haven of good sense that is PA sirs, delete the rascal forthwith...
Horseradish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horseradish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 08:44
Originally posted by brobin brobin wrote:

hello! I wanted to ask the experts and members of this site: if this is a normal practice? only to me appear to reviews written by the same author? all for one cd, and wisely ratings adding more 'low to rivals top list of 2013?

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I just wanted to say, that I agree with brobin's post. Even if the reviews weren't written by just a single person, they are distorting the list in a manner which I feel is against the spirit and high standards of PA. I realise discovering and handling such incidents must be tiresome for the moderating staff, but despite that, I hope this case won't drift away into obscurity.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 46>