Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 46>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 11:59
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ah the old, rate my favorite new album 5 stars & every other 2014 highly rated album 1 star, cunning plan. 

I have said this time and again:

(1) New members should not be allowed to leave extreme ratings (1 and 5) in the first 3 to 6 months. Once in a while, some people will be joining for reasons that are not most conducive for the success of PA. 

(2) And/or require that any extreme rating be accompanied by a review, explaining the decision. I would even extend this requirement to old-timers as well. If you feel passionate enough to call something "a chef-d'oeuvre" or a "piece of trash", you should be able to muster enough energy to add a few words to help peopl understand. 

(3) Limit the overall number of 1- and 5-star ratings to 10% each of the overall number of ratings. In other words, if someone has left 100 ratings, only 10 of them may be 1-star and ten - 5-star. The world is not black and white. 
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 12:22
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Ah the old, rate my favorite new album 5 stars & every other 2014 highly rated album 1 star, cunning plan. 

I have said this time and again:

(1) New members should not be allowed to leave extreme ratings (1 and 5) in the first 3 to 6 months. Once in a while, some people will be joining for reasons that are not most conducive for the success of PA. 

(2) And/or require that any extreme rating be accompanied by a review, explaining the decision. I would even extend this requirement to old-timers as well. If you feel passionate enough to call something "a chef-d'oeuvre" or a "piece of trash", you should be able to muster enough energy to add a few words to help peopl understand. 

(3) Limit the overall number of 1- and 5-star ratings to 10% each of the overall number of ratings. In other words, if someone has left 100 ratings, only 10 of them may be 1-star and ten - 5-star. The world is not black and white. 

The problem with that is no one will ever want to join as a new member. Part of the attraction to the site for new members is the ability to rate and review their favorite albums. Take away the ability to give 5 stars for new members, the site will die.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 12:36
^ Really? Not a single soul? How do you know? 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 15:32
New members should not be allowed to rate 2000 albums in a week. I have seen members who have been here less than a month and have rated 3000 albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 16:55
^ agreed. I am trying to understand if the concern about introducing these reasonable limitations is based on a speculation, or some concrete facts. I myself do not believe that the influx of new acolytes would dwindle if they were told they can't write gospels from day 1. 
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 22:57
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ Really? Not a single soul? How do you know? 

I don't for sure, but I do know that's what attracted me to the site in the first place. And what makes you so sure that I'm wrong? I do agree, however, that 5 and 1 star reviews should require a review. Perhaps, that alone, would be sufficient.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 08:56
^ I have no way of knowing for sure if either of us is right or wrong, but I can say that I agree with some of your conclusions, and disagree with others Wink I agree that a part of PA's appeal to new members is their ability to rate and review, and that limiting/deferring such ability would upset some newcomers. I disagree that every newcomer would be upset, and that all or most of them would turn away from PA.  

Would it be a good idea to conduct a PA referendum, offering for discussion various proposals
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 00:13
I think that everyone has the right to rate an album with whatever his/her rating happens to be. What I detest, is, there is no PROOF, whether the procrastinator has indeed listened to the album or not.
What I mean is, if I was a 'bored wonderer', surfing the net for something to do, and I happened across this site by random search, maybe I'd just plonk on random ratings for whatever 'sh*t' is on offer, then disappear into the ether......
We have to accept this sort of behaviour, and move on.....
Heck, I rate many albums as a 5 star masterpiece, maybe against all religion, but, believe me, I carefully consider what the album in question does for me, how it figures into the progression and development of music, and more so, how much it moves me. I do understand that, for instance, Twelfth Night's debut means diddly squat to most Proggers, however, what I hear is an update and modernisation of the old 'traditional' Prog.
I don't know what more to say......

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 02 2014 at 00:18
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 23:47
I have no problem with high ratings, people who really like a band and therefore come for the purpose to score the band 5 stars, this is true and plausible to me, however when they go as far after that in rating other bands low, this raises red flags and it's not fair really. Unhappy
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floflo79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 03:00
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=47301
The new Beardfish album who comes out next year already have a 5 stars rating.
Should put a warning like there is on the new Steven Wilson album.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:24
My opinion to get new people coming to this site while reducing the rate manipulation by scoring other members low, is by allowing new members to score the band they love, making their joining the site easy concerning their effort to sign up to score their favorite band 5 or 4 stars, meanwhile not allowing them unless they have been active on this site via posts to score other bands released on the same year lower. hugs to all Hug 
onedropper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onedropper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 08:19
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=53391

Ragnarson is quite obviously a huge fan of Phoenix Again. But not much else, apparently.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:25
Originally posted by onedropper onedropper wrote:

Ragnarson is quite obviously a huge fan of Phoenix Again. But not much else, apparently.

Ridiculous
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:28
Deleted all his ratings and I've sent him a PM.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:48

Ridiculous
Nogbad_The_Bad, on a lighter note now, your avatar pic is so funny and those jumping sheep below that gif makes me laugh too, this is for you Big smile hugs Hug
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 14:05
Rogue rating on the new Steven Wilson album: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=47434
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 14:16
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Ridiculous
Nogbad_The_Bad, on a lighter note now, your avatar pic is so funny and those jumping sheep below that gif makes me laugh too, this is for you Big smile hugs Hug
I think they are actually goats and not sheep.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 08:35

Back at it again here it seems:

As well as likely having a brother, alter-ego, super-hero secret identity or multiple-personality disorder:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=53832
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:04
All ratings are deleted now, and Ragnarson is out for good.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 10:14
Cheers, Dave, sorry it had to come to that.

One of the bands on the receiving end of his `wrath' contacted me and was a little confused and upset about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 46>