Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 46>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 09:20
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 01:23
I've just seen ratings for the new Marillion album, not yet released. Ratings for albums not yet released should not be allowed IMO. What's going on? Confused
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 03:13
I've had a few with one star..... but no text. And I reckon it's time to ban those reviews without text.

Why ? Well, suppose I upset someone on this site. They go off and give me one star as a punishment beating. ;-) Additionally, reviews are supposedly there to "help" the artist (hoots with laughter) - no text helps no one. 

No text, no reason, useless, in my opinion. 

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 14:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've just seen ratings for the new Marillion album, not yet released. Ratings for albums not yet released should not be allowed IMO. What's going on? Confused

Indeed. 47 ratings for an album that hasn't yet been released? I don't think all of those people received advance review copies. This is not good for the site.Save
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 14:33
It seems like a battle between fanatics, lovers and haters alike.

Even if the album is a day old, how can it possibly be a masterpiece yet?

I don't agree, that everyone should put text when they rate an album. Not everyone is as good with words as others. I, for example, am not able to write a descent review (if I compare to others who have a great way with words).

But just blindly hating on albums/artists is something that 14 year olds would do. I would have expected more from progmusic-lovers.

Come to think of it: I rated Metallica with 1 star.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 14:41
I've as of right now deleted all the ratings for the Marillion Fear album. Within seconds of finishing deleting all of them, one 5 star rater rated it, so I deleted that, then he quickly rated it again, and so I deleted it again.

Wish ratings could be disabled for unreleased albums.

Edited by Logan - September 11 2016 at 14:42
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 15:16
Feels like being a kindergartenteacher..

It's almost funny if it wasn't so sad.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 15:32
I've worked as a kindergarten teacher, my students were more mature (but I wasn't). ;)

EDIT: And I have to delete yet another rating by a user for the Marillion album after deleting his several times. I have made a note on the album page not to rate the album before the release date (to be removed later, of course).

I personally am not that keen on adding albums long before release date for this reason, but I can understand why some would want to (and how it can help a band's publicity and act as news of a forthcoming release).

Edited by Logan - September 11 2016 at 17:24
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've worked as a kindergarten teacher, my students were more mature (but I wasn't). ;)

QFT..  be glad it was my reviews/ratings you deleted. *spits beer on monitor* Not that I'd get caught dead listening to a Marillion album.. but damnit man... I'd have kept you up all night as I would have just reentered them as you deleted them.  The only person on this site more stubborn than me was Ivan. Perhaps that is why we have the history we do.  I'd have won that battle with you Greg.  Be thankful Neo fans are by their nature...sissies LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 16:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

QFT..  be glad it was my reviews/ratings you deleted. *spits beer on monitor* Not that I'd get caught dead listening to a Marillion album.. but damnit man... I'd have kept you up all night as I would have just reentered them as you deleted them.  The only person on this site more stubborn than me was Ivan. Perhaps that is why we have the history we do.  I'd have won that battle with you Greg.  Be thankful Neo fans are by their nature...sissies LOL

I think I would have given up and deleted the album then (you might be willing to rate it, but add it?) -- the problem is, once I deleted one of them it might be hard to stop. First I'd have to get through the 209 or so Marillion releases (a quick count) and then hasta la vista Neo....

I kid.

They've been pretty persistent, deleted several more a few hours ago, despite a note on the albums page asking them not to, and now three more despite writing on the album page under release info "ADMIN NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT RATE BEFORE THE SEPTEMBER RELEASE DATE. Such ratings are being removed and failure to comply could result in the suspension or deletion of account." Perhaps it's still not obvious enough http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=52412 or they're just really stubborn. This has been the sort of behavior I'd expect only of Franco Battiato groupies, but to them I'd be more welcoming.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 17:27
I didn't kid.. which is why the Neo team fired me...the same day they invited me to join their team fueled by a bribe and a binge of booze broads and blow.

suckers... only topped in stupidity by myself LOL for opening my mouth as to why big bad tough guy Mick suddenly had an 'interest' in whimpy ass neo-prog.

well they did axe me before I could delete those groups or move them to PR.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 04:12
Kansas' new album hasn't come out yet.

So not only neoproggers are little children.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=52328
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 07:23
Thank you, I deleted them. At least with Kansas I only had to delete six as opposed to about sixty with Marillion. Not that it matters since such ratings abuse is all too common no matter what the style of music (with bigger and more mainstream acts it's likely to happen more), but most of those raters were also big fans of Neo-Prog based on their ratings (for instance, THIS one ). Both Kansas and Marillion share AOR/ melodic rock qualities as well as symphonic rock qualities.   A fan of Marillion is more likely to appreciate Kansas than say Magma I would posit (I mention Magma specifically because of all the one star reviews in my deleted Kansas rater example), and are more likely to also enjoy, say, Rush, Saga or Spock's Beard than Art Zoyd, Soft Machine or Heldon.

Edited by Logan - September 13 2016 at 07:24
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 08:18
Wow, those are a lot of 1 star ratings. I often wonder why someone like that would go through the trouble to actually listen to all those albums, after 1 or 2 albums you don't, I'd think you'd give up listening to such a band or genre.

The only bands I rated low are Iron Maiden and Metallica, but I really don't like them. And believe me: I tried and tried to listen and like them.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 09:11
I doubt he's even listened to them.

Someone like that doesn't care if they rate albums that they haven't heard at all. He didn't mind rating the unreleased Kansas with five stars despite not hearing the album and he wouldn't mind rating every single Magma album a one without in good likelihood hearing any of the albums in full.   I suspect he heard a sample or two, then went on a rating spree. In such cases, all ratings are hugely suspect. We've had a lot of people who will give every single album by their favourite five stars (and in the case of those with big discographies I doubt they've heard all of them), and give every single album by another band one star.

One commonality of such people tend to be that they never, or almost never, write reviews to justify their ratings. In every case of the ratings I've deleted for an as yet un-released albums, though many of them have done hundreds of ratings, none of them have done one review here of any of the albums.

By the way, I can't think of any albums I'd rate with one star in my collection, and I have a very big collection, and I don't like to rate albums (not that I do anymore) until I've lived with it for a some time and given it numerous spins. Sometimes an album needs a few months to click. I never try to like anything and haven't forced music on myself except for PA purposes or when friends have wanted me to listen to something, but some music just doesn't appeal at one time, but it might appeal at a later date. It depends what I'm in the mood for any given day, as well as what kind of music I'm into at the time, and also it depends upon my exposure to similar forms of music -- often one type of music leads to another. Often I found music that crossed over from one genre I liked to another that I then became keen on (gateway music).

I don't like Iron Maiden or Metallica either (had friend into Iron Maiden so I was exposed to it), but then I'm not into metal and traditionally I haven't been a fan of hard rock (my first love was classical music, but the first Prog that appealed to me had classical influence, then as I got more into jazz I liked the jazzy Prog the best and so-on). That said, I now do like a lot of "heavy prog" since I found bands that incorporated those elements into music that was more my taste which expanded my horizons.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 09:25
I was being sarcastic of course :D

I know hate-voters don't listen to the albums they 'hate'.
I even know a lot of people who like 70's bands go on hating on 80's releases by their favorite bands, just because, you know, the 80's sucks! right?

As for me; i've been a member since 2006 but have been listening to music since, I don't know, say 1986. So I had some rating-sprees aswell, especially when the new subgenres 'progrelated' and 'protoprog' came about.
But honestly, I've listened to every single album I've rated so far, even all the deathmetal.

But user rating all Anekdoten albums 1* is just not being serious. It's someone that can stand his favorite band (wonder wich band that is), isn't the number 1 band in the world.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 09:38
Maybe we should start rating users. We all vote on who has the most innapriate ratings and the ones who lose, well, off with their heads!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 09:44
It feels like pissing vinegar (dutch expression), and I don't know why it bothers me so much.

But aren't we all trying to create some kind of datebase for essential albums for people to discover?
Let's say; I want to try out Magma, and the scores are really bad, would I still try it?

I often look at the top50 of any genre to see what I should try next. At least, that's why I like the rating-system.

Edited by Kingsnake - September 13 2016 at 09:44
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 09:49
^ I hear ya but i can't imagine that a few idiots who don't listen to the music and only provide a rating without a review will change an album like Magma's K.A. for example that has 549 ratings and 33 reviews. I doubt their rating would have any impact at all.

Is there an epidemic of this behavior? I have the urge to rate certain albums i like higher but always keep in mind that i'm trying to present music in an objective manner for others to discover IF THEY WANT TO! 
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 10:17
Come to think of it. I recently changed a lot of 5star ratings to 4star ratings.
Because of my fondness and enthousiasm I rated personal favorites very high, but they are far from essential.

Sometimes it's hard being objective.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 46>