Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 46>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 10:23
An epidemic, I wouldn't use that term, but ratings abuse and rating manipulation is a recurrent problem, and is often one that needs cleaning up. Monitoring them and cleaning those up requires a lot of time and work, and a lot never do get cleaned up. I would give ratings only a zero weighting, but the weighting system we have ain't bad. Because of the weighting system we have, the manipulative ratings without reviews don't generally have a big effect. It has with some new albums where hordes of people trying multiple accounts have come here to prop up an album and at the same time bring down a competitor.   It's not nearly so big a problem when it comes to older albums which have been reviewed and rated by many individuals, and I haven't seen much apparent abuse when it comes to older relative obscurities either with very few ratings/ reviews.

Edited by Logan - September 13 2016 at 10:30
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 15:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Thank you, I deleted them. At least with Kansas I only had to delete six as opposed to about sixty with Marillion. Not that it matters since such ratings abuse is all too common no matter what the style of music (with bigger and more mainstream acts it's likely to happen more), but most of those raters were also big fans of Neo-Prog based on their ratings (for instance, THIS one ). Both Kansas and Marillion share AOR/ melodic rock qualities as well as symphonic rock qualities.   A fan of Marillion is more likely to appreciate Kansas than say Magma I would posit (I mention Magma specifically because of all the one star reviews in my deleted Kansas rater example), and are more likely to also enjoy, say, Rush, Saga or Spock's Beard than Art Zoyd, Soft Machine or Heldon.

Personally I'd just delete his account if that's the easiest way to get rid of his ratings, He's made a grand total of 2 posts in 5 years and they were to complain about someone elses ratings!! That stuff is just nonsense.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 16:13
^ nonsense indeed. off with their accounts!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 15:56
Hi, guys

Just by accident (touch screen, you see) I happened to rate the Kansas future/new album when passing by the page, so please delete the rating when you have the chance.

No one can be sure, of course, but  at least some of the inappropriate ratings may have the accidental origin like happened to me this time (or am I the only dummy whom this ever happened ? Clown )

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 16:04
^It's done.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 19:52
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Hi, guys

Just by accident (touch screen, you see) I happened to rate the Kansas future/new album when passing by the page, so please delete the rating when you have the chance.

No one can be sure, of course, but  at least some of the inappropriate ratings may have the accidental origin like happened to me this time (or am I the only dummy whom this ever happened ? Clown )

I just wanted to add to this. It happens on mobile phones. For some reason there are times when i'm scrolling through the PA website (as well as others) and happened to be logged in and while scrolling i accidently swipe over the star selection and rate an album unknowingly. So before we deem all bad ratings as miscreants, this should be thoroughly understood. I do understand that giving a hundred albums a one star rating is no accident and should be punished by death
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 07:52
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 08:34
^ All gone. Thanks.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 08:37
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

^ All gone. Thanks.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 08:45
Awesome, guys! A member of one of the bands affected by it was pretty upset, so thank you so much.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 09:09
Wowwww, do we have so much visibility around the web ?
It certainly makes me happy we all struggle to keep a high level of credibility, good work ! Thumbs Up

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 09:14
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Wowwww, do we have so much visibility around the web ?
It certainly makes me happy we all struggle to keep a high level of credibility, good work ! Thumbs Up

oh yeah... back in the day we, the senior collabs, were like rock stars.  Band members wanted to meet us, prog fans would speak in hushed tones of reverence when meeting us. 

'oh.. you are the guy who spearheaded the AR split.. and created RPI...  let me buy you a drink... and here.. have my wife for a night'

oh the good old days of the site.... forever gone.. but never forgotten LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 09:43
^ah, Micky the Rock Star, you're welcome as a member of The Allman Brothers Revival Band Smile

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 14:37
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 14:39
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 06:27
Looks like we have a Buckethead hater on this site. I keep seeing that he rates every album i review with 1 star. Normally i don't care about such trivial things but when i look at his list of ratings, EVERY BH album is a 1 star (there is a single one with 2 stars). BH has such a wide range of styles no one could give every album the same rating if they actually listened. Is this ratings abuse? Just curious what you think.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 06:34
Puppy, I get the feeling that he hasn't listened to them all, but the ones that he HAS heard left a very bad impression on him that he instantly assumes they're all rubbish?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 07:24
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Puppy, I get the feeling that he hasn't listened to them all, but the ones that he HAS heard left a very bad impression on him that he instantly assumes they're all rubbish?

That's why i'm writing reviews for them. Because some of them deserve one star and some don't. I hardly want to incite the ratings police. If he hates them all so be it but i find it hard to believe that someone can carpet bomb any artist so uniformly with a single rating. My guess is he doesn't even listen Sleepy

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 10:00
A collection of serial 1-starrers that I found. Many of the accounts are no longer active, but I think it may be worthwhile to "clean up the mess", so to speak. Lots of entire discographies/subgenres given 1 star ratings, with no accompanying reviews as justification.

This guy has some sort of vendetta against eclectic prog:

This guy has it out for many subgenres, including RPI, symphonic, zeuhl, all of of the metal subs, Canterbury, etc.

This guy seems to hate everything except for the output of a few select artists:

This one's real rich; everything's either a "masterpiece of prog" or "completionists only" as far as he's concerned:

This guy dislikes most stuff, and was only active for about a month:

Another case of not in the top 20; give it 1 star! Also, note that the account was only active for one day:

Only active for a few weeks, and yet another one of those "1 star every album by artists I don't like" fellows:

Another highly polarized rater. Certain genres can do no wrong, other ones are unworthy:

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 16:09
^ Will discuss in AZ too. Thanks Pupp and Kevin. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 46>