Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 46>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 09:55
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Anyone want to have a look at this guy?

13,500 ratings, 99% of them 5 star! Not a single forum post or review.

I've been aware of him for a long time. Without seeing anything obviously malicious or mischievous in his ratings, I wouldn't want to take action.

With some "overraters", I have taken action when I see, say, clear manipulation or people clearly rating albums that they could not have heard yet. If there's any particularly suspicious behaviour/ ratings, then that should be investigated.

Edited by Logan - September 01 2018 at 09:58
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 20:03
Hmmm... I personally think that the star ratings should go away completely because they don't mean jack. I know there is a guide on how you should rate your albums but a lot of people don't really care which is unfortunate. Also, the guide is really vague. I mean.... 2 stars means "Collectors/fans only". Fans? What kinda fan would want to listen to a bad album? But the nail to the coffin is that you have to give a star rating if you want to write a review. That creates a problem that many reviewers focus on precisely measuring the amount of stars to give to an album (like some say things like "3.5 stars really"... why does it mattter?) instead of just reviewing the album.

Edited by Hrychu - September 01 2018 at 20:07
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 21:02
I like having the star ratings as a guide to what a particular user likes, but I think that ratings-only should have zero weight on ranking and average rating (not that I personally much care about that). In my early days here, I found those ratings useful to discover albums by looking at particular raters ratings who I found had very similar tastes to mine (I didn't need to read reviews by them, if they gave it a four or five, I was confident that it would appeal to me). I also sometimes find it useful as a forum member so get a feel for what someone likes even if it's just to make better recommendations to them. For some people, rating those albums (rating without reviewing) can be a fun list-making exercise and a way of keeping track of albums even if it's not valuable to anyone else.

Regarding the guide to what the ratings mean, I have wanted to see that changed to merely explicitly reflect personal taste (five stars would just mean that you really love it and need not say anything about any apparent objective merits). I think some people may go a bit far in trying to justify their ratings, that included me in the few reviews that I have written. If making it explicitly purely subjective doesn't fly, I would at least like to change it to something along the lines of "Essential: a masterpiece of its category imo". Hopefully it's a very informed opinion, but tastes are subjective and I would rather it be "Awesome! Love it". I realise that the ratings are meant to reflect progressiveness too, and perhaps there could be a separate rating for that, but it will continue to be quite subjective (and it's bit late for such an overhaul and I wouldn't expect such a change).

And I don't think that one should have to give a rating to review an album. I used to read and write film reviews, and I never favoured the use of star ratings then. I avoided publications that used ratings and never wanted to add them to mine.

Anyway I believe that the site owner wants the ratings-only ability partially because we have an English language policy in reviews, and we get people from around the world (some of which have more limited English than others). That said, google translate and such services are very good now.

One part of me would like to see stars gone from reviews (it should at least be optional), and have an area for personal lists where we can rate albums. That said, the overall ratings can be of interest to people and useful as a guide when there are many ratings or ratings by individuals with tastes similar to oneself. It's a feature that I think benefits the site overall and it gets more hits. I don't care much about album ranking and overall rating often, but some do. It's easy to ignore, but reviews would be better when we don't go on about how we rate it like there's more science to the rating than there is. We are amateurs though, despite there being some excellent reviewers here, and I think that's fine.

EDIT: I should read carefully through my posts before posting as I forgot to specify ratings-only in parts. Maybe it was clear enough already.

Edited by Logan - September 01 2018 at 22:54
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 03:22
This guy has practically only 5 and 1 stars ratings, it doesn't seem right.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 03:40
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

This guy has practically only 5 and 1 stars ratings, it doesn't seem right.

Looking at his profile, I suspect he's actually Steve Hackett operating under an alias...unless he really is Italian, in which case he REALLY hates the prog from his own country!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 04:01
I'm sure Mr. Hackett would waste his time with such nonsense LOL It pains me to see "La Notte Anche di Giorno" with a single star Ouch
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 04:16
No need to explain, Sam, I feel the same way, furious to see so many Italian albums dismissed like that...and it's pretty clear looking at the wide range of titles across endless genres that he gave a one star to that he's never listened to any of them.

Hmmm, I'm suspecting he might be a member of the Rome Pro(G)ject or Barock Project, I think they were the only two Italian acts on his list to get five stars from what I can tell!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 03 2018 at 07:37
potemkinpop View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potemkinpop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 22:50
Hi! I'm curious how something like this can happen: fifteen unnamed profiles that vote in unison in the same way - this is the Traps on Earth record

http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=60628
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 00:01
^ Nightmare, only your nightmare. Tongue
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potemkinpop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 01:29
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=55583

Wobbler...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potemkinpop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 01:35
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=47434
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=45042
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=39840
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=59082
http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=38027
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 04:38
^ Yep, nightmare too. Tongue
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 20:23
I've noticed this user has been giving many albums 1 star when they get a review on the front page. The pattern suggests that the user has NOT listened to any album but merely here to vote down various reviewers. Perhaps an unresolved childhood trauma acting out? Hmmmm.

In fact user doesn't like a certain artists and carpet bombs 1 star ratings. Obvious abuse here

Edited by siLLy puPPy - March 12 2020 at 20:26

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 23:54
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I've noticed this user has been giving many albums 1 star when they get a review on the front page. The pattern suggests that the user has NOT listened to any album but merely here to vote down various reviewers. Perhaps an unresolved childhood trauma acting out? Hmmmm.

In fact user doesn't like a certain artists and carpet bombs 1 star ratings. Obvious abuse here

Yeah, I doubt he listened to 23 Sabbath albums, and 21 by Current93, to decide they all merited just one star. Hell, I love Sabbath and I haven't listened to half those albums myself.

Funnily enough his one forum post was to report someone else's review for the rather innocent offence of being written in Italian. Whilst busily abusing the ratings system himself.

Flush this hypocritical a****le, say I.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 12 2020 at 23:56
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 07:00
Yeah he hasn't listened to 12 Zoviet France albums and hated them all.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 07:12
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Yeah, I doubt he listened to 23 Sabbath albums, and 21 by Current93, to decide they all merited just one star. Hell, I love Sabbath and I haven't listened to half those albums myself.

Funnily enough his one forum post was to report someone else's review for the rather innocent offence of being written in Italian. Whilst busily abusing the ratings system himself.

Flush this hypocritical a****le, say I.

Obviously hates metal. Every metal act gets 1 star while user seems to be more generous for classic symph and RPI.

Notice the blanket 1 star for Zoviet France, Voivod, Vezhlivy Otkaz, Throbbing Gristle, Threshold, Ruins, Opeth etc.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 16:43
^ All ratings and only two "non-reviewing" reviews have been gone. Thanks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 17:49
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

^ All ratings and only two "non-reviewing" reviews have been gone. Thanks.

Great job! Clap

How does this work? Do you give them a warning to stop it or they get banned?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 14:26
Mr Metal Hater is back again with my latest Azure Emote review. Another one star bomb has been dropped!
Seriously, shouldn't we ban users like this?

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 13:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 46>