Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 46>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 22:56
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

jplanet, I will not discuss progressive ears on here, they have quite a big member base and most are not fans of P.A. for their own reasons. Enough said, this is a great site and I'll leave it here.

Also do not read too much into what I said, there are many sites who can easily compete to P.A. one of those is also DPRP they are good too, currently P.A. for me is the best and being stuck up with a broomstick stuck in our ahum won't help, all I want is to be upfront and helpful even if my ideas are wrong, atleast I care and am trying is to contribute for this site to be and maintain most influential.

jplanet sorry forgot the hug lolol plus hug me tooHug Big smile

Who am I do deny a hug?

Hug

Yes, I am aware of the unfortunate cliques - hence the reason I have retreated a bit form discussions on any of the forums, though that is also because I am a rather non-neutral member since I've been creating prog music. Of course I will be interested in promoting myself, so I don't want to be a spammer, and I would want any discussions about my own music to be free of any knowledge of observation on my part, but that's another story...

Yay a massive tight hug to you, JPlanet Hugand another one HugSmile
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 14:50
If you disallow ratings for the current year
A lot of trolls would disappear
Make them do what they like to do
But only if it is in a review
They really aren't that slick
They just like being.......a part of the anatomy which people fell uncomfortable talking about.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 15:25
^^ Poetry! Love it!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 15:44
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

They just like being.......a part of the anatomy which people fell uncomfortable talking about.

LOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 17:00
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Clap LOL
Yes disabling 'Rating Only' for the first year could probably help, of course you would still have the guitarist mum posting a 5-star review but the effects would be more limited.
Changes in the PA way of working are rather hopeless though so keep on dreaming Wink
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 17:06
^Yeah i have been here for 7years and changes are slow so I agree nothing will be done but dreaming is fun.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 03:02
^Whether it flies or not, I fully support this idea.

On a lighter note, for my inappropriate rating of the week I give the new Riverside album 4 breasts. 4 and a half really.
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 07:47
^Is it as good as ADHD?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 21:28
I have only recently listened to both, so I have to hold off on comparisons.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 21:56
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

^Is it as good as ADHD?

Not even close.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 17:38
This is getting to the point where it's not even funny, a bunch of people signed up just in December for the sole purpose of giving Anglagard 5-stars and every other band on te list three stars. I am wondering if there is a coordinated effort going on here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43901
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43929
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=45077
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=45053
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43821

Some of them are kind enough to not deliberately give the rest of the release a low rating, but some, like Bren Rodmar, go so far as to give everyone else one star!

Again, I do not complain about my own release's rating, I would give it only 4 stars myself, and the average is above that. But it's quite annoying when you are an artist searching for its audience to have so many ratings from people who very likely never even bothered to listen. (and I would bet good money on that).

pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 18:23
^ spammers like them had been pushing my band's rating down too. It honestly doesn't bother me, but I know it must bother other artists.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 19:40
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

^ spammers like them had been pushing my band's rating down too. It honestly doesn't bother me, but I know it must bother other artists.

It's just disappointing, really. You see the number of ratings increment, and wonder, ooh, someone new has taken the time to consider this art we've made. Maybe they posted some thoughts on it, good or bad. Then you realize you just got caught up in a mouse-clicking numbers game.

Looking at it in reverse, I would be very saddened if I found out anyone gave some other release one star to move us up further in the list. I know first-hand the tens of thousands of dollars that go into keeping a band together for multiple albums and shows, the friends gained and lost, the sacrifices to careers and personal relationships. The thoughts of assigning an arbitrary number to a release that I've never listened to, without a thought to these sacrifices, is extremely lame. (and inexcusable when the release can be heard in its entirety for free).

Sure, let band members give themselves 5 stars. (I gave my own first release 3 and 2nd one 4). Even a presidential candidate gets to vote for himself! But to dish out bad ratings to others to that end is, in my opinion, ludicrous, especially as it's one that can be easily remedied with some SQL and VB script.

Edited by jplanet - February 10 2013 at 19:41
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 15:40
I guess some have a rather binary ratings approach! LOL....

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=28721

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 15:46
Oh, and I take back any thoughts of Anglagard's P.R. being behind any conspiracy - they have their share of 1-stars from list-manipulator ratings as well...It basically happens to everyone on the Top List...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 18:17
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Oh, and I take back any thoughts of Anglagard's P.R. being behind any conspiracy - they have their share of 1-stars from list-manipulator ratings as well...It basically happens to everyone on the Top List...
jplanet, I understand it's frustration, it's hard enough that prog artists (real musicians) have to compete against the marketing industries who promote really bad pop and rap artist that do not even require any musical skills. Prog bands beside dedicating themselves to the moozik because of the love they feel for it, most can't even afford to print cd's and those who can have to deal with trying to recover their production cost, nevermind making a profit.
This said Anglagard are brilliant really as a band they are so good however I see it too what, they don't need to put others down and this is exactly what their record label is doing (my personal opinion) this I can't blame the band tho', must be the record label because how many bands (inc. the greats) get people to sign up all the time daily giving 5 stars to Anglagard and one star to others? The clever ones atleast make an efford not to be too obvious and will give i.e. Big Big Train at least 4 stars etc. not to be too obvious, P.A. is not at fault here they try, they delete so many ratings, unfortunately Anglagard are good thus no one can say the 5 stars are not deserved but it's a shame that not the band but the PR team (probably the record label) play so dirty, they did not need to do this because without that Anglagard would still be a big favorite.
Thank goodness I am not an artist phew, I am just a happy nincompoop who happens to like prog apparently Big smile

P.S. I do not score bands that I don't like due to their genre, nor do I think any band who made it into PA is deserving of a 1 star rating.

Edited by Kati - February 11 2013 at 18:20
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 18:19
Ah-hem - you've got to have bloody good solid irrefutable evidence before you start making accusations like that. Stern Smile
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 18:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ah-hem - you've got to have bloody good solid irrefutable evidence before you start making accusations like that. Stern Smile

Dean I have none except paying attention, one can't be sure or P.A. including you Mr. (Mounty Python) Grumpy yes especially you would have dealt with it long ago! Unhappy For sure! Umphf!  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 18:32
Never underestimate the zeal (and stupidity) of an over-enthusiastic fan who thinks they are doing a good turn for the artist.

What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 18:38
Mr Grumpy.LOL

Dean you stole my mantle...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 46>