Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 46>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:23
We can keep the system we have if you want, but it still seems strange to me that we would encourage and solicit reviews from people that we plan on deleting.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:33
Can't you just consider it an invitation to post a review for people who are legally able to provide one? No system is perfect - having an automatic date check will force us to enter release dates. I don't know about you, but I'm not volunteering for that. Tongue
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:42
I'm not volunteering for anything
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:57
LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:00
Hard to really get out of line with a rating.  Reviews are a different matter.  I have been smacked down for doing a review of Morning Sky by Morning Sky and for doing a review of Marillion's Somewhere Else after my first listen.

So anyway:

SKY — Morning Sky
Review by Slartibartfast (Brian S. Lindsey)

4 stars This album seems to have vanished down the memory hole. I have been unable to find it listed in any of the muscian's discographies. The closest reference to this one I could find on the internet is Cavatina being used as the signature theme for the film, The Deer Hunter. A new version of the theme from Z also shows up on Sky 4.

It's not an official "Sky" release, but I've always considered it to be the first Sky album as it has "Sky" in the title, plus it has Williams and Flowers on it. Rick Wakeman is also in the credits, but I don't hear anything in the keyboard work that is distinctively Wakeman. If the acoustic guitar playing weren't distinctively Williams, I would almost doubt this album is for real, something I snatched out of dream made solid.

No telling if this album will ever see the light of CD. I acquired it in the age of LP, somewhere in the early 80's, used. Wish I could share it with fellow Sky fans. I feel very lucky to have stumbled across such a rare release.

A little elaboration on the credits: Track 5 is listed as P 1971 Fly Records, Londaon The second side of LP, I listed as tracks 6-10, are credited to being arranged and produced by Stanley Myers P 1971 Fly Records, London.

Marillion may have started out heavily borrowing from old Genesis’ style, but they’ve come a long way, baby.  They have a sound now that is totally their own.  I’m a little surprised by the occasional negative review I’ve seen before mine.  I’m one to pay more attention to the appreciators than the criticizers.  This is an excellent album.  I’ve only had one complete listen so far and I can tell it will grow on me even more.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 09:00
Amazon prevents reviews to be added before official release by hiding away the Add your review  button
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 07:14
This rating is not OK.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 07:20
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

This rating is not OK.

Yup, beat me to it
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 07:46
^ From Kayo Dot label Hydra Head Records: HH666-213 KAYO DOT "Stained Glass" CD EP will be officially released at November 26,2010

http://hydraheadlines.blogspot.com/search/label/Kayo%20Dot

Then, all ratings before that date are against the rules and I am 100% sure that 1* rating isn't based on legal pre-release promo.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 13:59
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

This rating is not OK.

Yup, beat me to it

It now has two ratings.

EDIT: considering that Toby Driver comes to PA on a regular basis (he recently posted quotes from Scott's review of Coyote on his blog, almost the same day the review was posted), I think it would be a good idea to delete these ratings.

Edited by harmonium.ro - November 20 2010 at 14:00
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 14:08

This rating is not OK.

That's not me! I swear! Shocked
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 14:12
LOL

That guy doesn't seem to be a KD hater, he has very good ratings for other Toby Driver realted albums. Or maybe he is playing mind-games with us. LOL If so, he should know that EPs don't show up in the annual chart.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 04:39
New Mogwai album will be released at February 14,2011. This information is oficiall from band's site:

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/News/News_2010/Hardcore_Will_Never_Die,_But_You_Will/

We have there some ratings on this album right now, almost one and half month before release:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=32052
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 05:22

Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Amazon prevents reviews to be added before official release by hiding away the Add your review  button

That would be a good idea here too to avoid legal problems........... but it is a massive undertaking, admin wise. That means we must appoint a New Releases Collab. And that must be an oracle of infinite wisdom type of Collab. I am not sure if that is possible.

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 06:22
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

That would be a good idea here too to avoid legal problems........... but it is a massive undertaking, admin wise. That means we must appoint a New Releases Collab. And that must be an oracle of infinite wisdom type of Collab. I am not sure if that is possible.

The problem with this is that artists often give us legitimate pre-release copies to review. 
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 06:26

Yes, and I am still awaiting my copy of your fifth album Beware Of He, The Wolf From Idaho. 

The whole issue is a bit of a gordian knot and impossible to administer so it is better to let it rest instead of getting high blood pressure over it. 

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - January 04 2011 at 06:28
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 06:47
Sure, we might get pre-release copies from the artist, but if the site has a policy not to post reviews before the street date, then we should wait until that time.  Do we have that policy?     

Would seem easy to enforce provided the street date can be verified us. 

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 08:15
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Yes, and I am still awaiting my copy of your fifth album Beware Of He, The Wolf From Idaho. 

The whole issue is a bit of a gordian knot and impossible to administer so it is better to let it rest instead of getting high blood pressure over it. 

Someone is having high blood pressure   
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Neck Romancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 11:02
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 12:01
Giving something a 1 when you think it deserves a 5???  A 5 when you think it should get a 1???  You can write an inappropriate review, you can't dish out an inappropriate rating/

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 11 2011 at 12:01
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 46>