Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread 3 - Eureka

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread 3 - Eureka
    Posted: September 02 2009 at 14:27
In continuation of my meager attempt to divert some PA forum discussion time away from Genesis, Dream Theater, Rush and the other usual suspects, here is my 3rd installment of Rushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread.  This time around the featured album is Shackleton's Voyage from the band Eureka.  Eureka is the musical project of multi-instrumentalist Frank Bossert.  Shackleton's Voyage is their 4th album, and includes guest appearances from Billy Sherwood (Yes), Troy Donockley (Iona), and Yogi Lang (RPWL).   

Anyhow, here is a link to their PA page where you can read a little more regarding them, including a wonderful review from Thomas (tszirmay).  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4721

Here is a link to their MySpace page where you can give some of the tracks a listen.  http://www.myspace.com/frankbossert

I think that this album is very much in the fashion of Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth, as it is moslty an instrumental work with only a minimal amount of singing, but includes a spoken word narrative.  It also might appeal to fans of Celtic music as Troy Donockley of Iona provides a Celtic feel to some of the music.

Give them a listen.  See what you think.  And come back to this thread and discuss them.  I am hoping that we have a little success here and maybe we can do it for other lesser known newer releases.  Either rate, let me know what you think.   

And in case you missed the first two installments of the New CD discussion thread please check it out here at thes links. Astra - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59071&PN=1

Edited by rushfan4 - September 02 2009 at 14:56
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 15:13
Thanks Scott, Great idea with these albums. I am not a Wakeman fan myself but when I saw the album was on Shackleton I will be checking it out. Back laterSmile
Matt

Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 15:42
The album I noticed has Frank Hurley's photography as well who took all photos at that time and are still beautiful to look at today. No ditgital for Frank he had to do it the hard way.

I like the music and the theme of the album is great but I will not comment about the music to much when I have only just heard it but I will most likely be picking this one up soon.

Listening to all the samples from the other albums as well and they sound very nice too,slight Latin tinge with that acoustic guitar when it comes in.

I can hear the Celtic influence loud and clear and I am a Donal Lunny fan myself ( got his autograph off him a couple of tears back)Wink I know i'm a pestLOL
Matt

Badabing666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 15:52
I'm with you Rushfan4. I stumbled across this album by accident and until I read your comments I hadn't made the connection with Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth. There are also hints of Vangelis that helps create a certain mood as in the Elephant Island track.

As an aside it seems that I am won over by any album that has Troy Donockley involved (note to self to check out Iona as I have already appreciated him on Nightwish,Mostly Autumn & Magenta) and this is no exception.

We need more music from Eureka and I will be at the front of the queue for the next release.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 15:55
I downloaded the album from eMusic, but the CD booklet having the original photography from Frank Hurley definitely means that this would be a good physical CD to purchase for the artwork.

As far as the reference to Rick Wakeman, I think it is more of the theme and the use of narrative that reminds me of Journey to the Center of the Earth.  There are a couple of songs that have some real good keyboard work, but there are plenty of songs that are electric or acoustic guitar.  And the song with Troy Donockley is lead low whistles and Uillean pipes. 

I am glad that you like the music and theme and hopefully after you give it a couple of listens you will be able to comment on the music more.
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 16:05
I know it is different but Battiato did a song about Shackleton it is the last track on Gommalaca. How could I forgetLOL 
Matt

progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 11:30
Scott,

Downloaded it from emusic too last night.

I've been playing it whilst at work today.

I think I need to shut myself away and turn the lights off to really digest this properly. Certainly sounds like it deserves the attention. Nice choice Thumbs Up

I'll add some more comments after a few more listens.

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 10:50
A wonderful album, very balanced and well put together, makes me want to work backwards in Eureka`s discography, no noodling on this album.........impressive!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 10:54

I've yet to hear anything else from Eureka, so I'd be curious to hear the rest of the discography as well.  This was definitely an enjoyable album. I always enjoy albums like these that include a good concept story in which the music plays a major part.

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 10:58
I find some concept albums hard to follow.....negating the concept.....this album however flows and I think is immensely helped by the spoken word narrative which seems to have just the right amount of prescence.......one of my favorite albums of the year.
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 15:55
I'm streaming this on Spotify right now

There's a definite tinge of Mike Oldfield about it, which is not a downer BTW. The guitar is very clean sounding and precise, and all round  it seems like the sort of thing that would repay repeated listening.

I really liked the vocal parts, and actually would have liked more.

With so much else to listen to I'm not sure I'm blown away enough to want  to invest huge time in this one, but I'm enjoying the listen and once again want to say thanks for starting the thread
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 15:46

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on how well the music contributes or tells the story.  The music is beautiful and the narrative and singing certainly help in the telling of the story, but the majority of the songs are just instrumentals.  Does the music feel to you as though it fits the story as a whole and each song's title individually?  Not being a musician, I am curious if this is the case.  I've heard it said that classical music tells the various stories that are tied to them, but my non-musical ears doesn't really hear it.  Any thoughts?

progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 05:09
I'm not a musician either Scott but I thoroughly enjoyed this album and I found the instrumental sections painted the picture it was intended to replicate when listening to it.

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

Badabing666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 08:46
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I've yet to hear anything else from Eureka, so I'd be curious to hear the rest of the discography as well.  This was definitely an enjoyable album. I always enjoy albums like these that include a good concept story in which the music plays a major part.

There are several tracks available on lastfm from all Eureka's other albums. On initial listen I would say that The Compass Rose is worthy of further exploration and I shall be ordering a copy shortly.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 08:53
Interesting.  I will have to check these out.  Thank you.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 19:16
Nyaha. Located. Thought the thread had vanished.

So, first impressions with the power of Spotify (one listen, fairly concentrated):

General quality estimate: 3
+ side: capably played, capable of some very powerful atmosphere on occasion, strong bass playing... a firm general sound, the ability to alternate solid instrumental rock with more keyboard-based material.

- side: not convinced the story truly flows, the vocal tracks seemed basically throwaways (except Will You Return, which had a gorgeous piano part) and very lightweight pop indeed... plus the lyrics were pretty dire... one nitpick, I felt the musical ending was a bit too non-commital... there was nothing to suggest that the end was different to the preceding few minutes.

Mneh side: not sure whether I liked the folk instrument inclusions (seemed a bit cheap-Celtic), a few elements of Rush visible under the surface... haven't decided whether that's alright... I guess the narration proved to the album's advantage overall, but I still didn't find it very satisfying.

All in all, mixed bag on the good side... a 3 from the first listen, something I imagine I'll be listening to again.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 19:30
I can agree with your assessment.  I started this thread about a week after my first listen, and I had forgotten that there were even vocal tracks, so if that doesn't say "throwaway". LOL  Actually, though on further listens I did enjoy the vocal tracks more, although again I agree that they are more on the pop side of things.  

I suppose that it would be interesting to listen to this album playing alongside a movie or documentary of the expedition and see how well it fits.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to it and your response.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 14 2009 at 19:31
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 14:03
I'm giving this album another spin after about a 10 day layoff.  I haven't gotten to know this album as well as I would like to yet.  I haven't given it as many listens as I did with the previous two discussion albums.  Track 4 - Grytviken Whaling Station is kind of giving me a Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse of Reason vibe.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 09:31

I'm giving this one, one final listen this month, before I move on to next month's discussion album.  I know that you all are just sitting on the edge of your seats wondering what will Rushfan4 pull out of his hat next month.  Well, your just going to have to wait 2 more days to find out.... Wink

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 07:56
Finally got around to listen to it. Decent, but not captivating enough. It has already been mentioned, and it was on my mind immediately, how the narrative intro sort of puts this next to Wakeman (it doesn't have to be Journey, a few others featured this), while the first part is Oldfield-ish (from around Five Miles Out - or rather Islands?). Ain't picking or missed entirely the drama build-up, for such a concept, which makes me think the overall instrumental developement could have been much more attractive.

Otherwise, it's a decent one for the (genre) fans. 2.5, megives.

Edited by Ricochet - October 09 2009 at 07:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>