Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tinyfish & DeeExpus @ The Peel, Kingston
    Posted: September 06 2009 at 07:31
Tinyfish & DeeExpus

The Peel, Kingston. Saturday 5th September 2009

Beware the curse of the Polish gypsy woman!!!

Well, she wasn't at the gig, but by all accounts, Newcastle based prog stars, DeeExpus, crossed her path while playing out in Poland, and since then, one of their songs has been plagued by technical difficulties. I wont go into why the lady in question decided to curse the band...you had to be there....

This was my fist encounter with DeeExpus, and I was blown away. The band are a six piece: Tony Wright on vocals, Ian Raine, bass, Steve Wright Guitars, Andy Ditchfield guitars, Hen Rogers on the drums, and Marc Jolliffe on keys, although tonight C3PO, of Star Wars fame played the keyboards (ok, it was a cardboard cut out). It's a little known fact, but the quirky droid has had trouble finding acting work since a bitter bust up with George Lucas, and was discovered by the band stumbling drunkenly through the streets of Whitley Bay, singing 'Brothers in arms' by Dire Straits. Well, I like to think it all happened like that.. DeeExpus played an energised set, driven along by a powerful rhythm section, and some great lead guitar work. I entered the venue half way through their first song, and postponed going to the bar for some time, seduced by their energy and great rapport with the crowd. For me two songs really stood out, 'Red' which apparently had been written some time ago, but in light of the events of 9/11, had taken on a new and poignant meaning. Also, the lengthy title track from their debut album 'Half way home' about losing someone close, really struck a chord with me. I bought their album at the gig and will be keeping an eye out for them. I dont like comparing bands to other specifc bands, and will refrain from doing so here, suffice to say that DeeExpus will not dissapoint anyone with a taste for powerful guitar driven progressive rock, and passionate songwriting.

DeeExpus official website

DeeExpus - MySpace

Then it was the turn of Peel favourites, Tinyfish to take to the stage. Now, I've reviewed this band before, and on the heels of their 'One night on Fire - live in Poland' DVD, tonights performance confirmed my long held belief, that they are simply a killer live band. Having known Tinyfish, pretty much from the beginning, for me the Tinyfish 'brand' is now really starting to take shape. Their performance was extremly tight. The band are rehearsed to perfection - pending curse related technical problems, of course, although I dont think Tinyfish offended any gypsies while in Poland. Tinyfish is a prog rock powerhouse of band, underpinned by Leon Camfields incredible drumming, and Paul Worwoods tight, though fluid bass work. The two work profficiently together, creating a robust backbone, to the strong melodies that, for me, define their music; melodies forged by Jim Sanders superb lead guitar work, and Simons use of guitar synth. Robert Ramsay took to the stage to recite the poetry, now synonomous with their work, and, as on the live DVD, the man behind the 'spoken word' wears costumes too. It may seem like a minor embellishment to some, but this is what I'm getting at when I refer to the bands 'brand'. The whole package was there tonight; the banter between drummer Leon - who would apparently murder an entire audience if Robert Fripp asked him to, and front man Simon Godfrey, the connection with the crowd, the tight performance, the poetry, the visuals. All the ingredients for what is increasingly becoming a very confident and charismatic band.

They opened with 'The sarcasm never stops' which now competes with 'Motorville' for the best opener, and along with 'Pagodas' and 'The Big Red Spark' has allowed us a tantalising glimpse of what the fourthcoming album has in store. The band stormed through a brilliant set, with 'Nine Months on Fire' and 'All Hands Lost' being the real stand out moments for me, although it has to be said that a Tinyfish set never includes any 'filler' or low points. They've always delivered with an energy that keeps the audience baying for more, and on their toes all night. The band have acquired some new technology, some of which Leon managed to knacker before they even started playing, but measured use of samples proved a very effective addition to the bands sound. They remain a guitar based band, with a good sense of when to use a particular sample, or ambient sound to great effect. Perhaps in a similar way that the Floyd did.

We eagerly await 'The Big Red Spark' boys!

Tinyfish official website

Edited by Blacksword - September 07 2009 at 03:16
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2009 at 06:43
Nice review Andy.

I agree, "The sarcasm never stops" is a killer song, really looking forward to the next CD.

Pull your finger our Mr Godfrey. Smile
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2009 at 10:36
Nice review , thanks

I'm seeing DeeExpus as support to Touchstone at the CRS on September 26th, so I'm pleased to see them getting a good review. I'm now looking forward to seeing them live
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2009 at 11:36
I like touchstone too. I've seen them support Tinyfish and It Bites, and they were great both times.

Have a good night Paul..
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 10:47
DeeExpus are worth checking out for sure.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply