Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTell me about Steve Hillage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 14:28
^

No you wouldn't lie to me - but I did check the link to make sureTongue

I suppose it must have been the Rock Against Racism connection.

They should have stuck with the Wiggling Wombats!

That is the singularly most amazing thing I have ever learned on PA
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 14:48
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Hillage is best known as a producer since the 80's

From Wikipedia:

During the 1980s, Hillage worked as a record producer, working for artists such as It Bites, Simple Minds, Murray Head, Nash the Slash, Real Life, Cock Robin and Robyn Hitchcock. He returned to producing in the 90s, working on The Charlatans self-titled disc in 1995.

He produced my favourite Simple Minds albums, Sons and Fascination / Sister Feelings Call. He also produced Up To Our Hips by The Charlatans, which is my favourite by them.

I'm going to see Gong in November, I've heard the Steve Hillage Band are supporting. Can't wait! Big smile

That record is quite honestly the greatest thing I've ever heard from Simple Minds. A must for post-punk enthusiasts.

It's hard to believe it's the same band who did Don't You Forget About Me and Alive and Kicking. Dead
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 15:04
Originally posted by el dingo el dingo wrote:

^

No you wouldn't lie to me - but I did check the link to make sureTongue

I suppose it must have been the Rock Against Racism connection.

They should have stuck with the Wiggling Wombats!

That is the singularly most amazing thing I have ever learned on PA

Yes...I thought my memory was true. Hard to know which memories are real.LOL

I rember a Sounds (could have been another music paper) saying something like...

"..as I walked into the field, amid the raucous sounds, a beautiful guitar reached out"

Thats the gist of it.

I saw Sham 69 twice btw..they were brilliant. I was into me punk at the time.Embarrassed

Edited by Snow Dog - September 15 2009 at 15:07
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 14:47

I recently took two very sceptical friends to see Gong (with Hillage). One was aware of Gong (having been a Hawkwind fan for 25 yrs) but had dismissed them as a comedy act. The other (his girlfriend) was a Gong virgin. Since that incredible show (the Octave Doctors were well on form) they have listened to nearly nothing else, and the new album "2032" is on permanent replay mode.

Check them out this November if you can. You won't regret it.

Edited by emdiar - October 24 2009 at 15:37
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 15:11
if you like Steve Hillage you might also like the late Christian Boulé they both play on the first album of Clearlight, "Clearlight Symphony", Hillage in part 1 and Boulé in part 2. it is a good trick question not to tell who is who and let people guess; their styles are very similar. and Boulé played as rhythm guitarist in Steve Hillage's live band for some time; he can be heard on "Live Herald". Hillage mentioned in an interview given back then that Boulé is (or sadly rather was; he died in 2001) an excellent lead guitar player himself.
Boulé made two solo albums too, which are definitely worth listening to if you like Steve Hillage, "Photo Musik" (yes, written with a "k") and "Non-Fiction".
and if you are a fan of real spaced-out music you might like the first solo album of Hawkwind sax player Nik Turner, "Xitintoday". it is based on the Egyptian ook of the Dead and features, beside Turner on flute, oboe and saxes, half of Gong: Steve Hillage on guitar, Mike Howlett on bass, Tim Blake on synthesizer and Miquette Giraudy (vocals). other musicians are Morris Pert of Brand X on percussion, Malcolm Ashmore on drums  andJeremy Gilbert on keyboards and harp. it is a true gem of prog and deserves to be much better known; the average rating is 4.5 in here, with only 9 ratings in the whole. a must for every friend of space rock

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123