Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you view the American?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: How do you view the American?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.58%]
14 [21.21%]
2 [3.03%]
37 [56.06%]
8 [12.12%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 02:38

Idealistically, I'm for guns because I don't believe the state has a right to prohibit its citizens from owning guns. I still don't believe it is reasonable to blame the hammer, no matter how many nails get bent (maybe a little more elegant a phrase than "guns don't kill people..."? ).

And on a practical level I don't want the only guns to be in the hands of other people (legally authorized or not). If the sh*t hits the fan, putting my loved ones at risk in some unforseen breakdown of security and/or society, I am comfortable with the operation of my firearms and justifiably proud of my aim. I am concerned about people who have never fired a gun...all that means is that they're a danger to everyone if they ever have to. If everyone respected guns instead of fearing them or worshipping them, they'd be a lot less perilous. 

And let's face it folks, the big fear didn't come down on us from crazies wielding guns, but from crazies with viruses, with letter bombs, with airplanes, with the desire to kill and a blindness to the suffering they would cause...denying them guns simply means they get creative.

gleam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 18:12

Trotsky,

Nice try, but do it someplace else. As far as the historical references go...

About the indian massacre's

* Custer had it coming...

The KKK

* I can't begin to understand some mens afinity for wearing bed sheets...

Slavery

* Suffice to say we are paying the price today and for years to come...   

The Mafia

* That's what we get for forcing prohibition down everyone's throat. If you want to make something popular, make it illegal. It bankrolled the mafia and now the drug cartels.

The CIA

* Highly over rated.

In reference to firearms, I think James Lee summed it up best.

Before I forget, you guys still caning people?

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 22:23

Yup, Gleam, caning is still practised in Malaysia, and our politicians also practise the art of dismissing history with glib, inane one-liners ... I'm not fond of either concept in general ... I don't think the caning has helped reduce the rape/abuse crimes for which its use is probably most justified

Re: gun control ... as music and gun fans what did you guys make of that Judas Priest case? I remember I was barely into my teens, when some kids were listening to some music and blew the brains out ... and half of America was up in arms about the subliminal music ... and all the time I wuz thinking "my God, nobody even questions how those kids got access to guns" ... how subliminal was that ...

Malaysia has an interesting scenario with guns ... After the Japanese surrendered, the Brits came back, and the (almost wholly Chinese) Malayan Communists fled to the jungle to wage a guerilla war (killing two of my family members incidentally). As part of an attempt to control guns, it became a capital offence to own an unregistered firearm. This law dating back to the 1940s was never changed, and to date, I've never met a private Malaysian citizen who owns a gun. Of course, it probably hasn't worked because Malaysian cities are still topping murder per capita rates on a global scale ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:51
Wow, this thread seems like its turning into another politics thread. Really interesting isn't it?
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:00

If George W. Bush is a typical American, then heaven help us! 

I like America - the geography, culture, the people I've come in contact with.  But I despise their current foreign policy; I think it reflects badly on how the rest of the world views the average American - which is the essence of this topic.  It's a shame how the actions of the few affects the perception of the masses.

Get rid of Bush and the neo-cons and more people will like America.

"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:05

George W. Bush is not a typical American. The typical American is well, Conservative, but not as Conservative as him or the many Neo-Conservatives in his Cabinet like Gonzales, Cheney or the ultra-warhawk Rumsfeld. America is not very well represented, folks because the government is MILES MILES more Conservative than the rest of the people.

spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 18:12

what country is properly represented by its government?  just look at Britain!  I believe both US and UK have the same "first past the post" electoral system.  until proportional representation is introduced (as if that will ever happen), we'll never have a truly representative government of the people.

politics sucks, thank god for music!

maddog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 18:13
Originally posted by nacho nacho wrote:

I cannot answer to this poll: I haven't personally met all the Americans.

I think there are a couple of Brasilians, four or five Canadians and maybe three Peruvians that don't even know I exist...

Do you know their names?Because, exactly the same amount of americans and one gold-digger in Alaska named Frank don't know notihng about me...anyway,i think it's something we can do about it, if they don't live i Amazon area...(if they do i am afraid it will be more difficult to reach them)
Vielleicht irrte sich der general-general-general
Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 18:24
Well, Yanks, as a Canuck, I can say that we like you
and we don't...but you could say that about anyone.

Generalization is a bit pointless...some of my best
friends are American (honest!)
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 18:30
My dog's an american, but I can't stop it sh1tting all over the floor.  Just as I am making progress in dividing up the kitchen and making peace with the new linoleum, he wanders in and cr*ps all over the kitchen.  Ends up taking all the best cookies too.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 00:06

If all three of your dogs hit the windshield when you slam on the brakes you just might be a red neck uh I mean an American.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Litl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 12:18
Hmmm...  Being an American with a constant eye on human nature................

There is a gun shop down the street from me and on its sign outside it says:  Guns Save Lives.  That, I'm afraid, is a statement that is all too American right now: totally stupid but adhered to because of ideals that allow for such stupidity. (I can't think of a more clever or ornate word.)

Our conservative idealistic cadre of politicians got all in a huff recently over a case of a woman who was in a 'persistant vegetative state' and who the courts were going to allow to be taken off her feeding tubes and allowed to die.  They fumed over her right to live, talked of the 'culture of life' they represent, the sanctity of life, etc.  This same group of politicians are the ones who most fervently support the invasion of Iraq - which has claimed the lives of between 22,000 and 109,000 innocent Iraqi civilians (depending on which estimate you follow).

Mrs. Smith, who needs government assistance to raise her kids, is seen as a lazy pariah and leech sucking on the public dole.  Money from the same pot is freely and effusively handed out to multi-billion dollar corporations and this is seen as necessary.

I could go on with the contradictions but I won't.  We are a highly contradicted society.  Keep in mind though (and I have to constantly remind myself) the above represents only just over half of us.  (Unfortunately a voting majority.)  So if we are seen in  the world as militaristic, greedy, and blinded by idealism then I can't blame you for thinking so.  At the same time half of us truly care and put other things first before ignorant ideals and greed.

Pax
Spanky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 18:20
I voted obese, ignorant and blindly patriotic.  I also happen to be an American.
Coalinga knows how to party.
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 18:31

Voted for obese, ignorent and blindly patriotic. I live in Québec, just over the US (For the americans who doesn't knows it, there's a country over you called Canada, and Québec is the french part of it...) and even there, most people 'hate' americans, so imagine in Europe...

nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 19:11

Hey Borealis, that's not fair at all. I don't believe than in Québec "most people hate americans" (by "americans" I guess you mean people from the USA, I don't think you hate yourselves). I can tell you for sure that here in Europe very few people hate americans. We can be, and usually are, very critical with the USA Government politics; we can also be very critical with some moral standards in the USA (Fox news devoted much more time to a certain nipple than to prisoners tortured in Iraq), but we DON'T hate americans.

It's that kind of comments that make people in the USA overreact at the minor criticism; I would do the same if I was continuously receiving the message that people in other country hates us Spaniards...

So my fellow "american" prog lovers: we will continue on being critical with your government and sometimes with you, but you are loved here  

Come visit whenever you want: you'll be welcomed!

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 02:03
I visited Hull over ten years ago, and I can attest that the Québécoise hated Americans before it became trendy.
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 20:36
ita_prog_fan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 04:58

I don't love'em and i don't hate'em

Sometimes they make great things... some other not.... so i do not vote

Actually i knew personally only 3 Americans and if you put them togheter you can easly obtain more than 400 kg... but saying the are, as a people, "obese, ignorant etc" is too much.

Must be said that they live in their own planet, in this regard they really are a "new Rome", sorrounded by billions of "barbarians" that, incredibly , don't want to become Americans !

undefinability View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 00:54

"obese, ignorant, blindly patriotic"

^ I agree with being obese and blindly patriotic, but I wouldn't be surprised many of the halfwits voting for ignorance are relying on the views of what our media deem us as, not what we really are. Not all of us are hicks, people, keep that in mind at all times.

"Don't listen to me."

[IMG]http://www.freewebs.com/shahath/shadowid.jpg">
felixxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 00:35
If I view the Americans from what they voted for president, and not only ones.........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>