FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Mars Volta @The Pageant in St. Louis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mars Volta @The Pageant in St. Louis
    Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:18
So, The Mars Volta has been a favorite of mine for a few years now, and over those years I have heard both good and bad when pertaining to their live performances. Some say they play amazing shows, sometimes as long as three hours. Other times I have heard horror stories of the band stopping before even an hour has elapsed, or they just screw around most of the show.

I guess my experience would fall in the middle. They played excellently, every song done just right. I didn't keep track of the set list, I just let myself be absorbed by the music. It was good, though, them putting on an energetic performance. Unfortunately, they only played one hour forty minutes. Usually, this would be fine, but when you pay 35 bucks (and that is before Ticketmaster rapes you with all of their added expenses) to see one band (there was no opening act), I'd like to see at least two hours of music. And it ended so abruptly. They played a song from Bedlam, and then they just waved an walked off, real fast. The crowd was cheering for more, but then the lights came on and the music started playing, and I knew it was over.

Like I said, it was a good concert, while it lasted. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:37
Bummer. I've heard they aren't the best live band to see. I can't say I've ever been a fan of The Mars Volta, but I would like to see them on one of their "better days".

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 22:16
Yeah, I don't believe their sets break the two-hour mark, but I think it's because they're so intense. When I saw them in April '08 I got about the same length, but I was still satisfied. More would have been great, but I wasn't disappointed at all. They played very well and their stage presence (especially Cedric's) was great.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 00:48
Been to see them twice, both times over two hours.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 07:16
We are going to see them on October 11th, and to say I can't wait would be an understatement. However, I have to say that nowadays very few bands play for more than two hours, especially not the 'older' ones. An exception to this rule, though, were PFM at NEARfest... they played for nearly three hours, and what a performance it wasHeart!
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 11:25
A lot of bands play more than two hours, especially if there's no opener. The geezers in Yes in the Present managed a good long set. I was tempted to go to this show but I just don't know Mars Volta well enough and then finding someone else to go....

Hadn't seen you around here in a bit Rael.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 13:44
Yeah, I'm a lurker, haha.

Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Yeah, I don't believe their sets break the two-hour mark, but I think it's because they're so intense. When I saw them in April '08 I got about the same length, but I was still satisfied. More would have been great, but I wasn't disappointed at all. They played very well and their stage presence (especially Cedric's) was great.

They were intense, and man did the drummer smack the hell out of those drums. His symbols are insane! He must have had a 16-18 inch high-hat.

I would have been more than satisfied if there was an opening act. And I hate to be one of those people who keep mentioning the money, but come on, 35 bucks is pretty damn steep for one band. Give me two hours.

And the way it ended was so abrupt. They pretty much just walked off. Bands usually hang out for a couple minutes, wave to the crowd, bow, throw picks and drum sticks out, etc. There was none of that. and it couldn't have been a curfew issue. It was 9:40 when it ended, and I have been to concerts that usually go to 11 at the same venue.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 14:30

A 9:40 ending must have made the Pageant management pretty peeved. People are just starting to spend their money on drinks in earnest. $35 is a little steep at that venue though I've paid that for some acts before. You have any St. Louis gigs you're going to soon?

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 08:05
Yeah. Going to see They Might Be Giants, and seriously considering seeing Mastodon. Probably Wilco too, if they ever decide to set a date. 
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 22:51
Man I missed Wilco when they came by here. I had to go sign the lease on my house before the show and I ended up stuck in traffic for over an hour and a half. Messed up my day.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 09:03
I don't feel 1:45 hrs is very short, though it's not long either. It's the usual standard for a concert in our days. All the stadium concerts I've been to lasted about 1:30-1:45 hrs + from 15 to 30 minutes of encores.

Also, 35 dollars isn't much for a concert with a mainstream band. Usually the prices for known artists range, in Europe, from 30 to 60 euros. For example, the YES show in Paris will cost 60 euros, which is about 80 dollars I guess. Steve Hackett will cost 38.5 euros which is about 50 dollars. Muse will cost 46 euros, which is about 60-65 dollars. The Mars Volta show I've been to was over 30 euros, meaning about 40-45 dollars (and it lasted exactly two hours, no encores).

Coming back to the issue of concert lengths, our co-forumist Uroboros was at a Mars Volta show in Germany where they played continuously for three hours. So it's not like they just don't do it, maybe it depends on certain factors. Such as the band fee for example. (I'm guessing.)
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 09:12
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I don't feel 1:45 hrs is very short, though it's not long either. It's the usual standard for a concert in our days. All the stadium concerts I've been to lasted about 1:30-1:45 hrs + from 15 to 30 minutes of encores.

Also, 35 dollars isn't much for a concert with a mainstream band. Usually the prices for known artists range, in Europe, from 30 to 60 euros. For example, the YES show in Paris will cost 60 euros, which is about 80 dollars I guess. Steve Hackett will cost 38.5 euros which is about 50 dollars. Muse will cost 46 euros, which is about 60-65 dollars. The Mars Volta show I've been to was over 30 euros, meaning about 40-45 dollars (and it lasted exactly two hours, no encores).

Coming back to the issue of concert lengths, our co-forumist Uroboros was at a Mars Volta show in Germany where they played continuously for three hours. So it's not like they just don't do it, maybe it depends on certain factors. Such as the band fee for example. (I'm guessing.)

Having lived in Europe most of my life, I endorse everything in the above post. A couple of years ago I saw Jethro Tull in Rome, and the concert lasted less than two hours, with no supporting act whatsoever - all for the not inconsiderable price of 58 eurosConfused. Tickets for The Mars Volta gig of October 11in Baltimore are priced at $42.50 - which is not little, but not as extortionate as prices can be in Europe.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 14:10
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

So, The Mars Volta has been a favorite of mine for a few years now, and over those years I have heard both good and bad when pertaining to their live performances. Some say they play amazing shows, sometimes as long as three hours. Other times I have heard horror stories of the band stopping before even an hour has elapsed, or they just screw around most of the show.

I guess my experience would fall in the middle. They played excellently, every song done just right. I didn't keep track of the set list, I just let myself be absorbed by the music. It was good, though, them putting on an energetic performance. Unfortunately, they only played one hour forty minutes. Usually, this would be fine, but when you pay 35 bucks (and that is before Ticketmaster rapes you with all of their added expenses) to see one band (there was no opening act), I'd like to see at least two hours of music. And it ended so abruptly. They played a song from Bedlam, and then they just waved an walked off, real fast. The crowd was cheering for more, but then the lights came on and the music started playing, and I knew it was over.

Like I said, it was a good concert, while it lasted. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

Man that sucks to pay that kind of money and get less than 2 hours entertainment. I've been doing the clubs a lot lately. $5 cover and you get 3 bands on most nights. Lemmons,The Firebird,Ciceros,and Off Broadway. Good places to catch music in St. Louis for next to nothing.

Post Reply Post Reply