FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEncores: An Extinct Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Encores: An Extinct Idea
    Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:23
I go to a good amount of concerts, almost all of which are with my father, who is in his 50s. These concerts are all kinds, ranging from jazz, to 70s prog (Yes, Kansas), and pretty heavy metal (Opeth, Mudvayne, Lamb of God), and almost every concert he comments on how people just don't cheer for an encores anymore. That Mars Volta concert was the latest example. After the band walked off, people cheered for a little bit, but then people quit. My dad always gets angry, wanting people to cheer and stay. It never happens. He always reminesces about the old days, when people would stay and cheer for twenty, maybe even thirty minutes until the band would come back out. Now it never happens.

What do you guys think? Does the encore exist anywhere anymore?
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:26
People simply do not have the time to cheer for an encore these days.

They must hurry home to download the torrent for the latest Porcupine Tree album.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:26
Deep Purple is a prime example, that encores still exist.

Edited by The Quiet One - September 11 2009 at 17:33
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:30
I have been to quite a few concerts lately, and there have always been encores. In Judas Priest's case, there were three of them, just like when we saw PFM at NEARFest. Perhaps it is more of a trend for newer bands to skip encores altogether... In my own experience, encores have always been the rule, rather than the exception. 
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:33
Okay, but I'm not talking about intermissions. I've been to plenty of concerts where the band walks off for a break and comes back out to play, because it was planned all along. I'm talking about when a band is done, the lights come on, and people cheer until the band comes back; basically, it is not planned.

I'm sure true encores occur a lot more with concerts of older bands.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:35
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

People simply do not have the time to cheer for an encore these days.They must hurry home to download the torrent for the latest Porcupine Tree album.

Or go to their local CD store which is already selling it!

I don't think genuine encores are common anymore, but planned encores seem the hot-topic at the few small concerts I attend...
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:37
I've never been to a concert without an encore. Weird.

In fact, I thought the thread was going to be about how encores are planned into the program...
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:38
When I saw Yes w/ Asia they did an awesome version of Starship Trooper as their encore. Not all bands are like that. The Mars Volta are just (if truth be told) a horrible live bandTongue

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:40
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

When I saw Yes w/ Asia they did an awesome version of Starship Trooper as their encore. Not all bands are like that. The Mars Volta are just (if truth be told) a horrible live bandTongue

SCABDATES is the perfect evidence of that
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:43
I've noticed that too - I can remember calling bands back on stage until they'd run out of songs to play on several occasions (Pink Floyd @ Wembley). Other times I've been present when bands have had 20 minute standing ovations (Enid @ Hammersmith Odeon).

The planned (or staged) encore was part of the set-lists for gigs for many years, but I think everyone knew it was pretending to end for applause - maybe now a days theyare just being honest. In London at least I think the 11 o'clock curfew set by the last Tube train back to civilisation has put a stop to unplanned encores.

"My but you're heaven but I never do encores, I think it's pretentious, pretending to end for applause" - Time To Dream (Greenslade)
What?
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:44
There have been encores at pretty much every concert i've been to, except for festival concerts Confused
The most awesome encore i've seen/heard was when Zappa plays Zappa played "Willie the Pimp" right after "Bobby Brown". Damn, that song rocked my socks off! Cool
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:48
Every time I go to see Runrig, the crowd shout pretty long and loud till the band come back. If they didn't come back at least twice, there'd be a riot. Also, Mostly Autumn always get cheered long and loud.]

Maybe it's just that they're amazing live bands, unlike say The Mars Volta.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 17:55
by the mid-80s it seemed the encore had become de rigueur, usually built into a band's set list as a part of the show..lost some of the spontaneity but everyone expected at least two substantial encores

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 18:06
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Yeah I saw the same tour and they played Starship Trooper at the end, pretty awesome, but they never played Close to the Edge. Ouch Ah well.
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 18:29
Well, I've been going to concerts for many years and I don't ever remember having to cheer for anything like 20 minutes to get a band back on

The first encore is usually something that happens pretty well automatically. Sometimes the band hardly even bother to go off stage! Admitedly the second encore usually needs a bit more audience effort...but not 20-30 minutes...

Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 19:31
For the encore idea to work properly bands have to snub some audiences that don't cheer loud enough...
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 21:37
Encores That I have seen:
Rush
ISIS
Mastodon
Porcupine Tree
The Encore still exists today.........and The Mars Volta are a amazing live band, I dont know what the hell you people are talking about!Stern Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 21:58
Just about every rock concert I've attended has had encores (as well as every live album or DVD), I've always hade the idea that people just take encores for granted, and that the bands do actually have their encores planned as part of the concert. The only concert I've attended without an encore was Rick Wakeman 6 wive concert this year. And the only live album I know about that has no encore is Pink Floyd's The Wall.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 22:11
What he is referring to I believe the idea is different than it used to be... now its more like an obligatory intermission instead of a "true" encore.. in the past the bands used to HAVE to come back out because the crowds would not disperse until they did... Was a different thing than it is today..

Guess the closest thing today would be a "double" encore .. If the band comes out a second time, I would think this would be closer to the old days..

Edited by Plankowner - September 11 2009 at 22:14
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 22:39
I guess then, that "true" encores were lost because fans start asking for the band to come back, and the band comes back, then the fans start to expect the band to come back, then the band has no option but to come back, and then, since the band knows before the concert that the fans will ask them to come back, and that they will come back, well, they rather plan the encore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>