FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEncores: An Extinct Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 22:50
Saw one band, say, ok, pretend we left and we came back.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 23:38
Went  to see Steve Hacket in  2004 and the crowd gave him 3 encores. I somehow picture a band like Jethro Tull doing well in this area. even today
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 01:14
Perhaps the days of the forced encores are over.  There was a time when Yes would milk it for all it was worth before playing Roundabout, and Lynyrd Skynyrd WAY back when would make the fans yell like idiots for 20 minutes before returning for Freebird.  The most encores I ever saw was a classical concert - Andres Segovia was pulled back on stage five times.  No, we hadn't had enough of him even after that, but he was getting on in years, and we decided to respect his age and let him go.  When I've seen them, both Tull and Yes had planned encores.  Pink Floyd too.  Haven't been to that kind of concert in a long time, though.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 02:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess then, that "true" encores were lost because fans start asking for the band to come back, and the band comes back, then the fans start to expect the band to come back, then the band has no option but to come back, and then, since the band knows before the concert that the fans will ask them to come back, and that they will come back, well, they rather plan the encore.
Yes. And when the fans get used to the planned encore they might expect it to happen even if they don't actually ask for it. At least here in Finland people still clap and yell for encores (and not counting outdoor festival gigs with strict time limits I can't remember a time when the headliner had left without an encore) but according to some musician interview I read, might have been some Metallica guy, Japan is notorious for people sitting silently in the dark concert hall after the last number taking it for granted that the band comes out again.

I loved the story by BaldFriede I think, where Peter Hammill after god knows how many encores came back one last time with a towel around his neck, while the crew was already clearing the stage, and sang one final song without a backing band or a microphone. I wish there was more of that around, but when the house lights come back and the crew hits the stage, everyone knows it's over and leaves.

Chuck Berry I hear has his own special policy when it comes to encores. Pay him 5000 bucks extra and you get one more song. LOL
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 03:20
Another factor to consider is venue curfews.

If there's a strict curfew, say 10 pm, then the band aren't going to do encores no matter how much people scream and holler.

I suspect this is a factor in at least some instances, as curfews due to the local council regulations etc, are sadly more prevalent than they used to be
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 06:57
As you can hear on the "Instant Delivery" CD/DVD from The Flower Kings, the encore of "Stardust we are" was 'sort of not planned'.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 07:21
For the encore idea to work properly bands have to snub some audiences that don't cheer loud enough...

Agreed.

I don't think I've ever been to a concert that didn't have any encores either, although, this summer in Montreal, I'm pretty sure VdGG wanted to do more encores, but they could not because the jazz festival had scheduled another show in the same venue 10-15 minutes later (dumb jazz festival Censored).

Last year, I saw Clapton, and was quite surprised to hear some people booing when he did only one encore Confused

And my best gig ever is still Mr Leonard Cohen who did 7 encores at the ripe old age of 74  last year Clap

Edited by June - September 12 2009 at 07:23
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:34
Guns N' Roses was of course known for cancelling shows, starting very late or stopping the show after a couple of songs if someone in the audience happened to wear a wrong kind of a shirt or something, but when they were having a good time they didn't want to leave the stage at all. One show in LA in 1991 lasted for over three and a half hours and 37 songs. I don't know how many of them were encores but I guess most of their shows at the time were almost two hours shorter.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:47
The same thing happened on the Led Zeppelin reunion gig, but that was only because it took them 20 minutes before they went back on stage for 2 songs :D
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 09:18
Encores just seemed so 'manufactured' to me anymore. I know it's all part of the show, but it doesn't seem genuine when it's pre-planned. It's all part of the dance.

I didn't attend this particular show, but I have a live FRC disc of Marillion' performance in Philadelphia on the Marbles tour when they left the stage after their final encore. The houselights come up, they start playing the closing music over the PA (in this case it was Cat Stevens because they were on the same infamous flight with him when he was detained), but nobody left. The cheers persist for what seemed to be 5-10 minutes until they came back on and played "Easter". Now, it's moments like this that really are special, IMO.

E
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 09:20
From all the concerts I have been, all the encores were planned. It was so obvious that they left some of their most famous songs to the encore. It was already correctly pointed in this thread that encores became a obligation and they are not anymore a kind of reward to a enthusiastic audience.

The encores are so planned that after the fake end, the lights are kept turned off and the crew doesn´t go on the stage, but after the real end, they turn on the lights and the crew immediately goes on the stage and start packing the equipment.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 10:42
i guess we've established then, that the 2nd encore is the real encore now
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 10:50
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Nah... the fourth, fifth and so on are the real ones Wink
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 11:17
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 12:28
It depends where you are: in Greece where the crowd is still hungry for music, there is always shouting and more shouting for 2 or 3 encores.... and that has happenned in all concerts I have been
hirszu View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 13:05
I think encores in these days lack spontaneity. As we're discussing different kinds of music, I have a great example for this. One of my favourite bands in the old days, when I didn't know what prog is, was Depeche Mode. Their setlists usually consists of 20-23 songs, mostly with two encores. The thing is, after playing the basic set, the band just quits the stage and comes back after 5 minutes. I think they don't care if the people are cheering or not, they just have a scenario writeen that after a certain amount of songs they do a short break. In this case the idea of encore dissapears.

Edited by hirszu - September 12 2009 at 13:06
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 13:26
Almost everytime I went to a concert, there were encores. Also, my band was always cheered for an encore. Overhere, if audience really likes a band, they will shout, chant, whistle, applaud and what not just to get a band back.

I remember a Led Zeppelin reunion tour in Zagreb, people were shouting for 45 minutes, refusing to go out, even after roadies started unplugging the equipment. But LZ never came back on stage. Later we heard some dumbass was pointing the laser pointer on Jimmy Page while playing, he got scared thinking it might be a gun, and refused to perform an encore.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 13:39
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

What he is referring to I believe the idea is different than it used to be... now its more like an obligatory intermission instead of a "true" encore.. in the past the bands used to HAVE to come back out because the crowds would not disperse until they did... Was a different thing than it is today..

Guess the closest thing today would be a "double" encore .. If the band comes out a second time, I would think this would be closer to the old days..

Exactly. I've seen many planned encores. What I have never experienced is what someone above me described with Marillion, where the lights went on, the closing music was playing, and people didn't leave. I guess this could be because I go to a lot of metal concerts where the band (or, more like the drummer and vocalist [if he has been screaming his head off for an hour]) is worn out, as is the crowd.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 17:06
I never cheer, because I think it's incredibly annoying and cliche how bands handle encores now.  I haven't been to a concert in my life where there wasn't an assumed encore, bands do it regardless now it seems.  It's pretty obvious when bands are going to encore, since they walk off the stage without playing some of their most famous songs, surpisingly coming back with them.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 17:31
Yes, the concept of an encore is somewhat obsolete now. It has been for years. I recall growing up and hearing blink-182's live album where they talked about how they were going to say goodnight and stuff but everyone knows they're coming back and yadda yadda (only more elaborate and comical), and that's basically how it is nowadays.

I now recall that bit at the end of School of Rock where the band gets called for a legitimate encore and I wonder if smaller gigs still get those kinds of encores. It would be great to be an unknown band and get called back like that.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>