Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossessed - Exploration (1971)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possessed - Exploration (1971)
    Posted: September 12 2009 at 10:36
There is another band under the name Possessed besides the death metal group, a band which hadn't released album until the end. They've got only one album, called "Exploration". The style is psychedelic/progressive rock or something like that. I only found this biography of them:

"This is the story of a band whose tragic legacy could never have been predicted. Possessed were born out the thriving underground West Midlands Rock & Blues scene of the mid to late ‘60’s. This was a scene in which band- leader, Vernon Pereira, had been a key figure.

The band were formed in late 1969 when Vernon teamed up (after a spell playing next to Robert Plant in The Band Of Joy) with Mick Reeves, who had been playing in (amongst other bands) Sugarstack with Al Atkins. This was the band that would eventually evolve into being the first incarnation of Judas Priest.

Exploration was originally intended for releases in 1971. Due to various reasons the album never saw the light of day.

The band were finally on the verge of signing a major deal, when tragedy struck. Whilst returning home from a gig in 1976, the bands van drove into a stationary tanker, taking the lives of three band members."

I think they should be added.
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 13:01
Fortunately , the album was released on CD by Rise Above Records
http://www.lasercd.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=RARCD002
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 14:03
Here's the myspace site: http://www.myspace.com/possessedwb

I guess it's more of a hard rock band with a psych leaning.  If it were to be in the archives, then I'd recommend that Heavy Prog check it out first, but just based on those myspace tracks (which is not enough to have an informed enough opinion), I would've thought it closer to Prog-Related.  Maybe cause it so blues based hard rock n'  rolly, but I'm haredly an expert in progressive hard rock.  Still, I think Heavy Prog should look into it, but methinks they have a backlog.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 18:25
good band with an interesting history .. very close to Heavy Prog at times, not so much at others, but I'll have my partner listen and we'll figure it out, thanks for the suggestion  Smile

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 16:04
after several thorough listenings to Possessed - a very good rock band - HeavyProg has decided they aren't progressive enough or to a significant degree, only about 10 to 20% of Exploration showing a progressive approach

wish the results could've been different, thanks for the suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply