Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRenaissance 2009 east coast USA Tour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance 2009 east coast USA Tour
    Posted: September 14 2009 at 10:38

RENAISSANCE 2009 TO CELEBRATE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF ENGLAND’S “CLASSICAL ROCK” PIONEERS WITH SPECIAL FALL EAST COAST TOUR

Annie Haslam and Michael Dunford to Lead World-Class Musicians

On 9-City Concert Tour of Theaters and Performing Arts Centers Starting Oct. 6

In celebration of their 1969 formation, English "classical rock" pioneers Renaissance are embarking on a special 40th Anniversary Fall Concert Tour to re-introduce to new generations the lush, orchestral favorites that made them a staple of 1970's progressive rock radio.

Led by Annie Haslam and Michael Dunford, the voice and principal songwriter, respectively, of the band’s most popular lineup, RENAISSANCE 2009 will mount a nine-city East Coast tour of theaters and performing arts centers that kicks off Oct. 6 in Annapolis, MD, and includes New York, Philadelphia and Washington, home to the nation’s top progressive rock stations during the classic Renaissance era.

"I'm thrilled to be performing these truly unique masterpieces again," says Haslam, whose five-octave voice is one of the most legendary in rock history. “These songs are a big part of my life and I will sing my heart out."

Joining Haslam and Dunford in RENAISSANCE 2009 are keyboardist Rave Tesar and bassist-vocalist David J. Keyes, both of whom were previous members of Renaissance and the Annie Haslam Band, plus keyboardist-vocalist Tom Brislin (Yes, Debbie Harry, Meat Loaf, Francis Dunnery) and drummer-percussionist Frank Pagano (Bruce Springsteen, Smashing Pumpkins, Bette Midler, Barry Manilow). Together, these world class musicians will revisit the symphonic textures, stunning vocals and poetic lyrics that embody the band’s hauntingly compelling international themes, with fresh interpretations of their most admired compositions. “Carpet of the Sun,” “Ocean Gypsy,” “Mother Russia,” "Ashes Are Burning," “Running Hard,” “Prologue,” and "Northern Lights" are central to Renaissance’s most prolific period (1972-78), which produced the albums Prologue, Ashes Are Burning, Turn of the Cards, Novella, Scheherazade and Other Stories, and A Song for All Seasons, as well as 'Live' at Carnegie Hall (1976), the deluxe two-disc set recently reissued.  

Renaissance originally rose from the ashes of the Yardbirds, with Haslam and Dunford joining at the dawn of the 1970's to define their work with folk rock and classical fusions, including quotations from and allusions to, such composers as Bach, Chopin, Debussy, and Rachmaninoff. It wasn’t long before influential progressive rock FM stations like WNEW (New York), WMMR (Philadelphia) and WHFS (Washington) were turning on America to Renaissance, while the band was thrilling concertgoers on the world’s most distinguished stages, from Carnegie Hall in New York City to the Royal Albert Hall in London.

"We've wanted to bring these songs to American audiences again and now with these great musicians," adds Michael Dunford, "I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation."

RENAISSANCE 2009 40TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR DATES:

October 6       Annapolis, MD              Rams Head Onstage

October 8        Rochester, NY                        German House Theatre

October 9        New York, NY              Concert Hall at New York Society for Ethical Culture

October 11      Glenside, PA               Keswick Theatre

October 12      Alexandria, VA             The Birchmere

October 13      Albany, NY                   The Egg – Center for Performing Arts

October 14      Harrisburg, PA            Whitaker Center

October 16      South Orange, NJ       South Orange Performing Arts Center

October 17      Atlantic City, NJ           Xanadu Theater at Trump Taj Mahal

www.myspace.com/renaissanceofficial

www.anniehaslam.com

www.nlightsweb.com

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 11:37
As usual, no mention of a west coast tour.  Angry Too far away, too spread out.  Last time I heard them scheduled to play our here they cancelled because they ran out of funds. Cry
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Parish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 12:01
I believe that if these shows do well that they may consider a larger tour then who knows? :)
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 14:17
If Genesis could do it, why not Renaissance :)

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Parish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 14:19

Perhaps a joint effort?

Renesis anyone ? Smile

Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 15:33
Haslam and Collins would be a interesting duo :) 
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 15:45
Originally posted by Parish Parish wrote:

Perhaps a joint effort?

Renesis anyone ? Smile

To paraphrase Hank Hill: You're not making Genesis better, you're making Renaissance worse!
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Misomex777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 18:06
Its called money, guess who has more?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 11:29
Hi,

I saw them on their heyday ... the same tour as their Live Album ... lovely band ... lovely band.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 21:09
From what I heard, their popularity was disproportionately centered in the mid NY-NJ-PA area even back in the 70s, so their choice of locations isn't surprising.  It is disappointing that they are not plaing in New England at all.
sysprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 23:20
Perhaps they should change their pitch to say they are looking to re-introduce their music to a new generation of "East Coast" listeners...because as we all know, the west coast knows nothing about music...
Parish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 07:14

Sysprog ~

I think what they are doing is testing the market as they haven't been around in quite some time. If all goes well with these shows perhaps they'll be more in the USA and possible overseas. Also you have to take into consideration that most of these musicians have other schedules that could conflict an elongated tour.

boll View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 22:45
Saw them at the 06 oct 09 Rams Head show, great show , small venue, here's the Setlist:
1. PROLOUGE
2. CARPET OF THE SUN
3. MIDAS MAN
4. RUNNING HARD
5. BLACK FLAME
6. NORTHERN LIGHTS
7. OCEAN GYPSY
8. THINGS I DON'T UMDERSTAND
9. MOTHER RUSSIA
10. ASHES ARE BURNING
ALL THE SONGS WERE EXCELLENT, GREAT VOICE, ANNIE EVEN SANG THE ANDY POWELL GUITAR SOLO PART AT THE END OF ASHES ARE BURNING- IF YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT!!!!!!!!!

Edited by boll - November 03 2009 at 22:47
moonll View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 20:51
 Post Reply Post Reply