Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 20:03
PT II
 I think I must have missed this in the various posts, but here goes

part of the drop in album sales can also be attributed to the music fan now being able to get the song(s) that they actually want. NO need to buy a  $20 CD top get that one hit . This is why an act like Creed will never be able to sell albums any more.(Clown) . It may be less of a factor in Prog, but realistically, there are prog bands out there who can't or don't put out  albums filled with decent material. But there are some that have that really killer tune that you just gotta have ! Just not for 20 bucks !
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 20:08
Given my need to apologies to Nick Barrett for some of my comments, I would also like to extend a heartfelt thanks to Dean for very well thought out and reasoned counterpoints to my posts. We do agree on much , we do disagree on much. But I believe that his opinion is honestly held , and hopefully gives pause to think to those who believe that they already know enough to determine  whether illegal downloads are completely harmless. They may be right. But so might Dean. And there might be a middle ground somewhere, a few miles past Rogersville, before you get to Kent Junction Confused

Whether one agreed with his presentations, they are well worth taking the time to read. They went way beyond the simple knee jerk reactions that both sides of this arguement often resort to. In any debate outside academic or political competitions, one wishes for one best result. That, if it ends with no clear "winner", both sides have still been able to offer a clear presentation of their case, which in turn should give their opposites a better understanding of the actual position held by the other,   and hopefully a way to ensure that we don't dismiss others' beliefs without questioning the validity of our own.

I mentioned this in the Metallica thread, and I repeat it here. When we take the time to think about what we write, to understand the other's meaning , and to do our best to reply in a respectful manner to the actual points made, we at PA are very well able to (and deserving of) handle controversial or heated debates. And yes, sometimes we may be the only people on earth who even think that they are controversial (AC/DC in ProgArchives ? So what ? They're either in or not, right ?).

Oh, and someday, my posts will be as well edited as Dean's. 'Cause when I grow up, I want to be an admin Tongue

or as one of my long ago ball hockey team mates would say - good battles ... Thumbs Up

Edited by debrewguy - October 04 2009 at 20:10
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 02:36
ClapHug

I thought this: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61454&PID=3404139#3404139 was one of the best posts I've read on the post "Pandora's Box" issue. Clap

Edited by Dean - October 05 2009 at 02:44
What?
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 11:42
sometimes I am able to rise to match others' excellence ... Cool
Teaflax brought some good points too. I was lucky that a little birdy gave me some tough love insight on a few thingsEmbarrassed

Anyways, I'm off to send another email off to Gens de la Lune and Ange about how some of their target market are interested in internet downloads. Whether they include full cover, artwork and music and all or just the music in one accessible download.

And for those interested in Voivod, $11.42CAD gets you the whole package (music, artwork, lyrics, inserts)  in FLAC (a  lossless codec, meaning that once you decompress it, you can burn it to a blank  CD and have the same quality as a manufactured copy).
Available at
http://www.sonicunyonstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2406&osCsid=u87fjp46grfij44fo3sodh4ah6

For this release, they also offer MP3 at 192 bits, FLAC, CD + mp3 download, and CD + FLAC download. with shipping available to the U.S., and international destinations.

hopefully I mange to write a decent review of it shortly ...

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 11:54
Oh, if I may trouble y'all with an example of what a band shouldn't do , and how just the one thing can undo all the good they do ...
as quoted from the Bob Lefsetz email newsletter Oct 1 :

"Subject: RE: Sales-Week Ending 9/27/09

Hi, Bob. Thanks for your always-informative sales commentary, leading with Pearl Jam this week. I was a longtime PJ fan, having been a devoted Ten Club member since 1996 (with a coveted low member number), so I have access to all the better seats in the house. I receive the vinyl Christmas singles (even if they do arrive in late spring). I get the newsletter. I buy the posters. I attend every local show.

Am I buying "Backspacer"?  No. Here's why...the band is anti-social media. Which means they are anti-fan.

In a nutshell, Pearl Jam destroyed my YouTube account. I'd attended last summer's Eddie Vedder tour in support of the "Into the Wild" soundtrack (8th row, thank you), and yeah, I shot a few videos. Crappy, wobbly, mono videos with audience noise. Yeah, I shared them with fellow fans on YouTube.

The Ten Club's response? They removed not only the EV videos, but MY ENTIRE YOUTUBE ACCOUNT.  More than 400 videos...gone. Without notice. And some of those were family videos that were corrupted in a PC hard drive problem, so I can't ever get them back.

All this because I shared a few amateur videos with fellow fans on YouTube? I never imagined Pearl Jam would be that media illiterate; I always assumed they were a savvy, intelligent, fan-friendly band. I understand if they're saving the material for an EV DVD, but do they REALLY think my wobbly vids could compete with a commercial DVD? Don't they know I'd have purchased the DVD anyway? And maybe some copies as gifts for friends?

Well, not anymore. And not "Backspacer," either. And I'm not likely to see them live ever again. It may be time to give up that member number of 161XXX.

Please keep my name anonymous. I don't need any further YouTube hassles with my new account. In fact, I've taken to using the following fair use disclaimer on anything I post moving forward:

DISCLAIMER -- Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Charlie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 17:13
I was greatly saddened to read Martin Orford's  interview. In the past I purchased many of I.Q.s records and C.D's and went to dozens of their gigs throughout the 80's and early 90's. The last time I saw him perform was with John Wetton at his village hall . A great talent, its tragic the modern world and the internet have ended his career. He's right , free music download access should have never been allowed to become this easy.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 17:37
Originally posted by Charlie Charlie wrote:

I was greatly saddened to read Martin Orford's  interview. In the past I purchased many of I.Q.s records and C.D's and went to dozens of their gigs throughout the 80's and early 90's. The last time I saw him perform was with John Wetton at his village hall . A great talent, its tragic the modern world and the internet have ended his career. He's right , free music download access should have never been allowed to become this easy.

Martin ended his career. No one or nothing else. And tragedy is something more than a musician being unable to ply his trade.
Maybe in his time off, he can spend some time researching and learning how other musicians are able to face the same challenges and make a living at it.
I wish that Three Friends would come play Moncton, but there after doing some informal polling , we don't feel there's enough people interested in buying tickets to warrant a promoter taking the chance even for a small 400 seat gig.
But that's not a tragedy. My wife's mentally ill uncle living in an abandoned trailer is. a little perspective please ...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2009 at 18:56
^ rather than continue this line of discussion in what is essentially an Interview thread (which rightly prompted this debate by Martin Orford's frank and candid views) - I think (ie "politely request") we should leave it here and continue in the "Throwaway Download Culture" Thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61653&PID=3405552#3405552 

Edited by Dean - October 05 2009 at 19:03
What?
Charlie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2009 at 14:19
I'm sorry If I trivialized the use of the word tragedy . I still have sympathy for Martin, whilst I do not claim to know him well, I met him on a few occasions and he was always friendly and polite . I admired him and what he was trying to achieve and  hope his luck will change.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2009 at 17:24
Originally posted by Charlie Charlie wrote:

I'm sorry If I trivialized the use of the word tragedy . I still have sympathy for Martin, whilst I do not claim to know him well, I met him on a few occasions and he was always friendly and polite . I admired him and what he was trying to achieve and  hope his luck will change.

here's to hoping , that for his fans' sake, he takes some time to read up on bands that are making it today. IQ , from the many rave reviews of their albums (all 4 stars for the Nicholls' releases) certainly seem to be able to draw rabid fans. That's the hard step. Establishing a hard core follwing. The next one is to make it financially viable, even on a part time basis.
You can't learn the first from anyone. You can learn the second step(s)
pauluk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 06:45
Hi Martin,

Whatever the future holds do not turn your back on music or your fans. I ALWAYS buy cds or LEGAL downloads and I do not see why people who choose to steal music should profit not only at the expense of the artist but the likes of me and many other loyal fans who lose out because an artist becomes disillusioned and quits.

I know of some amazing musicians who record brilliant albums but still work at day jobs simply because they love their music. Have a listen to a guy called Andy Pickford or the band Radio Massacre International and see what I mean.

Don't let these unscrupulous lowlifes get the better of you and just make music for the people who care.

Cheers,

Paul

Cheshire

PAUL UK.
Tarcisio Moura View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2009 at 05:23
Very good interview, nice work of all involved and I understand some of Orford´s arguments.  But I´m with Snow Dog.

Cheers

Tarcísio
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 12:23
It would be fine for bands to adapt to the so-called "new model" if there were live venues to play like there used to be, but that has dissolved as well. Ask any working band in Europe how many gigs they play now compared to just a few years ago before the smoking bans, or what has happened to the live scene in the U.S. since the minimum drinking age was raised...

Music fans can exercise good judgment when choosing what to buy and what to steal - if the band is just starting out and is not yet able to tour, there's a pretty good chance they won't continue to exist if people don't support them by buying the music. While it is possible to produce music at a very low cost on a home computer, believe me, people can tell and they will always eventually gravitate towards music that cost thousands of dollars to record, simply because it sounds better. You can only do so much music when working a day job to support it.

Part of the reason older bands from the 70's sound more convincing and can put on a better live show than new bands is because they have the financial backing to do it well.

Not that I have anything personal invested in this point of view. Wink

Edited by jplanet - December 29 2009 at 12:26
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 04:53
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Part of the reason older bands from the 70's sound more convincing and can put on a better live show than new bands is because they have the financial backing to do it well.

If only there were another professional musician on the site to give his perspective...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 10:21
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

If only there were another professional musician on the site to give his perspective...

If the criteria of "professional" is one who can make a living at it, we're still lacking that input. LOL
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 11:19
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

how about if you were paid to stop or not to play at all Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213