Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo You Believe in Ghosts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Do You Believe in Ghosts?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [30.77%]
36 [69.23%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do You Believe in Ghosts?
    Posted: September 28 2009 at 21:28
Me and my friend are having an argument about how many people believe in ghosts. I will use this highly scientific, unbiased, random sample to prove my point. He has more faith in people than me.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2009 at 22:13
Of course ghosts are real.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2009 at 22:50
No but I do believe in Psychic energy's which have the presence of a ghost
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2009 at 22:58
I am a Christian who does not believe in anything that is not physical.
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2009 at 23:34
If "ghost" means human-shaped figures who enter my room by the wall, then I think I don't believe in them.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 01:44
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I am a Christian who does not believe in anything that is not physical.

So do you believe in ghosts? And how do you define physical?
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 01:57
I voted yes FWIW.
I was always a skeptic for ages, but a lot of things I've read about the matter and even my own personal experiences have led me to change my mind.
Mind you, I'm an atheist, so religion or any of that spirituality stuff doesn't really come into it for me.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 03:03
I've had some experiences which push me to vote 'yes'

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 03:08
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

I voted yes FWIW.
I was always a skeptic for ages, but a lot of things I've read about the matter and even my own personal experiences have led me to change my mind.
Mind you, I'm an atheist, so religion or any of that spirituality stuff doesn't really come into it for me.
Buh? How can you believe in ghosts and not believe in God? You're basically saying "All this religion stuff is just people being delusional throughout the centuries because I don't believe in anecdotal evidence, but all this anecdotal evidence about ghosts has convinced me".

I'm inclined to say that most/all unexplained phenomena is the brain incorrectly processing information. I believe in God, more or less, but that doesn't entail ghosts, at least in the traditional sense.

Edited by Henry Plainview - September 29 2009 at 03:11
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 03:32
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

I voted yes FWIW.
Buh? How can you believe in ghosts and not believe in God? You're basically saying "All this religion stuff is just people being delusional throughout the centuries because I don't believe in anecdotal evidence, but all this anecdotal evidence about ghosts has convinced me".

I'm inclined to say that most/all unexplained phenomena is the brain incorrectly processing information. I believe in God, more or less, but that doesn't entail ghosts, at least in the traditional sense.

Ghosts have been captured on Kirlian cameras, so at least some physical proof does exist.
I have however yet to see anyone capture any physical evidence of god.
Ghosts are still something that haven't been totally explained and probably never will be but I have no doubt in my mind they exist.
And I can make the distinction between my brain processing/thinking irrational things and rational things thank you very much. I've had plenty of experience with anxiety and paranoia problems, so I know what it's like to have experienced mental states in which I was far from being in the right state of mind and my personal experiences with what I believe to be ghosts all happened when I was feeling perfectly calm and of a good mood. Had I been feeling otherwise I would have been skeptical of what I saw/felt, but I don't feel I have anything to question if my mental state was in perfect working order at the time of the occurrences, nor was I intoxicated/on drugs at the times either.

Edited by Petrovsk Mizinski - September 29 2009 at 03:33
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 03:48

Oh come on, ghost pictures are terrible. And how would a spiritual being be captured on film anyway? It makes no sense.

Maybe you only thought you were in a normal state of mind. I'm not trying to insult you, but we don't really understand how the brain works, or why it doesn't work.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 04:05

Don't believe in ghosts, but I am, let's say 'unnerved', by the dark - it's a natural instinctive reaction that stopped our ancestors being eaten by bears and sabre-tooth tigers and ghost-stories were created to play on those fears.

As for Kirlian cameras and photo's of ghosts - simple science easily explained, nothing unnatural about it, let alone supernatural.

What?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 04:21
I am Irish on my mother's side. I believe in the little folk. the only ghost I believe in is the one which eats handkerchiefs and stockings Confused

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 04:23
I know that one - he tends to hide cigarette lighters & car keys too

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 05:30
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I remember you telling me about your experiences, Jim. They sounded pretty damn conclusive to me!

I've had one experience, that made me think there could be something a little more than what we know... Just because I cant explain everything in maths, flow charts and equations is not a good enough reason for me to dismiss an idea out of hand.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 05:41
Ghosts do not exist.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 05:56
As with God and UFOs and other such things, the only honest answer begins...

I don't know, but......

Wink

Related item: Do any of you ever talk to dead relatives?   I find myself sometimes talking to my beloved grandparents, not because I think they hear, or because I expect an answer.  I think I do it light-heartedly because it helps me keep their memory alive somehow.  Weird, huh?

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 06:03
Like everybody else I am fascinated by ghost stories, I have never experienced any kind of supernatural activity personally though others I know have.

In the 70's the "Ouija Board" game was very popular, we had one of these and many fun evenings were spent around the table with this abominable thing, but then my family went through a period of a number of deaths,  illness, car crashes  and  generally  bad luck affecting us all for many years.

Around the time my Dad died in January 1976 my house had instances of unnatural activity so startling you could say the house was indeed haunted. Though I never experienced anything myself as I spent  few nights there I heard reports of footsteps up the stairs, tinkling bells in mid air and static rustlings, even the poor cat was frightened. This went on for a couple of years but subsided, and normal life was restored.

I found out from a magazine article  that the paranormal activity could have been triggered off by supernatural energy from my sister, who at 16 took my Dad's death especially badly and the feeling of grief manifested itself as supernatural activity. 

Some years ago I found the old Ouija board in a cupboard during a clear out, took it to the bottom of the garden and burned it.

Over the years my interest in History has taken me to some very forbidding places - Tower of London, Berry Pomeroy Castle, Hampton Court, numerous isolated Scottish  castle ruins including Urquhart  at night,  but I have never experienced any kind of ghosts at all - maybe i'm not in the least psychic or the whole thing is in everybody's head - though part of me believes in something out there we know very little about...Confused

Edited by mystic fred - September 29 2009 at 06:16
Prog Archives Tour Van
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 06:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Do any of you ever talk to dead relatives?   I find myself sometimes talking to my beloved grandparents, not because I think they hear, or because I expect an answer.  I think I do it light-heartedly because it helps me keep their memory alive somehow.  Weird, huh?

I've been doing this for the first time over the last 3 months - I lost both an Aunty and a Grandfather (The daughter and her father) within the space of 3 days, and I was really shaken emotionally by it.

My grandfather and I were particularly close, and although I'd rather not speak about it too much, but it gave me masses of comfort to talk as if they were there with me.

So not weird at all
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 06:37
definitely not weird - when I visit my mother I often chat away to my late father (in my head though - don't want mum to think her son's going doolally )

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I remember you telling me about your experiences, Jim. They sounded pretty damn conclusive to me!

Whilst I'd hesitate to use the word conclusive, it does make me tend toward the positive side of the argument...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>