FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg = Literature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog = Literature
    Posted: October 01 2009 at 21:22
Some part of me refuses to accept all music as 'equal'. No matter the amount of beret-wearing music lovers telling me that 'it's all about feeeeling' i can't accept that Jay-Z singing about his ninety-nine problems is at the same musical level as Peter Hammill singing about lighthouse keepers...

Bad analogy. You get what I mean though. It's a common peeve among proggers. Even people on this site will tell you in soothing tones that we can't get angry at mainstream because it's just as musical as any other type of music. Once I got annoyed. But now I'm okay with that. Because it's like saying The Princess Diaries is as much a book as Great Expectations: it's true. Let me explain:

We need to treat music like we treat books.
Find a literary theorist. Ask them to define literature. They'll tell you it's undefinable.
Find a Twilight lover. Ask them to define literature. Same thing. But I bet you if you ask them if Twilight is literature, most of them - if not all - will say no. Why?

Because even the general public understands the difference between literary books and books made for entertainment. And although that line is blurred sometimes, the majority know where most books stand within that division. Of course, with the breakdown of Structualism we can see everything as literature, but I won't go into that here. What's important is that even Post-Structualists understand that there is some undefined magic stopping Harry Potter from being read like The Lord of the Rings - both are well written, humorous and often emotional, but LOTR is seen as literary.

What I'm trying to say is, why spend all this time trying to define 'progressive' when someone's already done the work for us? Although i think we'd need a different word to encapsulate all the music it would entail that is not deemed 'progressive' by our lovely mods...

What are your thoughts? I can go onto a speil about how we are in the Formalist era of music if you'd like...

Edited by Easy Livin - October 02 2009 at 02:41
Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 21:46
I'm afraid your argument is too wooly to convince the hardcore subjectivists (how do you define great literature?), even if I can't bring myself to agree with them, but I would like them to comment on a proof I thought of (I was going to make a thread for it but I might as well just put it here).

Some people are smarter than other people.
Some people are more mature than other people.
These people do things in life that are smarter and more mature than stupid, juvenile people because that is who they are.
Creating art is something people do, and since it is a product of the person, it can be influenced by the degree to which they are stupid and juvenile.
Therefore, a stupid, juvenile person can create stupid, juvenile art that can and should be recognized as stupid and juvenile, just as we recognize when a person is acting stupid and juvenile, so that they may correct their behavior in the future.

QED
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Evan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 22:32
You very well could be right, but why does it matter?  Listen to the music you like, for whatever reason you please.  
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 22:34
^I want to agree, but i'm afraid of all previously mentioned beret-wearers

the point is that you can't define literature, same as you can't define 'literary music' as i will tentatively call it.... i think that would satisfy 'hardcore' subjectivists
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 22:46
Originally posted by Evan Evan wrote:

You very well could be right, but why does it matter?  Listen to the music you like, for whatever reason you please.  
I like being right.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 23:16
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I'm afraid your argument is too wooly to convince the hardcore subjectivists (how do you define great literature?), even if I can't bring myself to agree with them, but I would like them to comment on a proof I thought of (I was going to make a thread for it but I might as well just put it here).

These people do things in life that are smarter and more mature than stupid, juvenile people because that is who they are.
Creating art is something people do, and since it is a product of the person, it can be influenced by the degree to which they are stupid and juvenile.
Therefore, a stupid, juvenile person can create stupid, juvenile art that can and should be recognized as stupid and juvenile, just as we recognize when a person is acting stupid and juvenile, so that they may correct their behavior in the future.

QED

Just because a person is stupid/juvenile does not mean the art they make is. Given that how do you evaluate whether a stupid person makes good art or bad art?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 23:48
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

QED

Just because a person is stupid/juvenile does not mean the art they make is. Given that how do you evaluate whether a stupid person makes good art or bad art?
I agree, for people are not always stupid and juvenile. My point was about the possibility, which people seem to be loathe to awknowledge, even though I cannot believe that in their hearts they think Beethoven and the Spice Girls are equal.

How do I evaluate? That is a fair question, and not one I can fully answer. I would argue that it is in the same way that I call something a terrible book and worse than Shakespeare, but I know the two are not really analagous since you can't subject music to the same logical analysis as a book. So we're back to the same fuzzy logic. Maybe I'll think of something smarter in the morning.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 23:50
Originally posted by MaxerJ MaxerJ wrote:

Some part of me refuses to accept all music as 'equal'. No matter the amount of beret-wearing music lovers telling me that 'it's all about feeeeling' i can't accept that Jay-Z singing about his ninety-nine problems is at the same musical level as Peter Hammill singing about lighthouse keepers...

Bad analogy. You get what I mean though. This is a good analogy for me. The lyrics which express the ninety-nine problems in pop music seems to be more enjoyed by the norm. While most of that norm may analysis the guy who listens to songs about lighthouse keepers and conclude that he is an ideal candidate for psychiatric treatmentLOL  It's a common peeve among proggers. Even people on this site will tell you in soothing tones that we can't get angry at mainstream because it's just as musical as any other type of music. Yes it is, but to me in a more contrived manner.Ermm                                                                                                                             Once I got annoyed. But now I'm okay with that. Because it's like saying The Princess Diaries is as much a book as Great Expectations: it's true. Let me explain:

Find a literary theorist. Ask them to define literature. They'll tell you it's undefinable.
Find a Twilight lover. Ask them to define literature. Same thing. But I bet you if you ask them if Twilight is literature, most of them - if not all - will say no. Why?

Because even the general public understands the difference between literary books and books made for entertainment. But why can't the general public understand the difference between Gene Simmons and a real musician? ShockedThis has never worked in music. Most people just don't have a musical background. To them the guitar player in Grand Funk Railroad sounds the same as Jeff Beck. Why? Because they only hear what's on the surface, which is distortion. They are not listening to notes. They are listening to the sound of distortion. That famous cry of a guitar string bending. The one that we hear on many TV commercials in America. Sort of the way that Michael J. Fox fooled about with the guitar on Back To The Future. If everything sounds like that, and plus it's on the airwaves then it's excepted by most.Hug                                          And although that line is blurred sometimes, the majority know where most books stand within that division. Of course, with the breakdown of Structualism we can see everything as literature, but I won't go into that here. What's important is that even Post-Structualists understand that there is some undefined magic stopping Harry Potter from being read like The Lord of the Rings - both are well written, humorous and often emotional, but LOTR is seen as literary.

What I'm trying to say is, why spend all this time trying to define 'progressive' when someone's already done the work for us? Although i think we'd need a different word to encapsulate all the music it would entail that is not deemed 'progressive' by our lovely mods...

What are your thoughts? I can go onto a speil about how we are in the Formalist era of music if you'd like...

I understand your point and it is interesting to ponder over, but for me it's always felt like them or us. They(the top40 fans), can start with 10cc and end with KC and the Sunshine band. I can start with 10cc and end with Miles Davis, then be told by the ooga shaka's of the world to turn off the MILESShocked
EDIT: Sorry about the links. They don't go anywhere - just an accident with Word...
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 00:02
songs about lighthouse keepers are in NO way more literary than songs about 99 problems. songs that are a social commentary on the walls which we put up between us and the world (guess the album this is referring to) ARE more literary because there's a deeper level.

at the same time, you can say that beethoven is more worthy than spice girls, but you can't say he's more worthy than bob dylan, actually, dylan may be more musical than beethoven, because beethoven made music for royalty and dylan never sold out that way. yeah take that EVERY ARGUMENT ABOUT COMMERCIAL MUSIC SUCKING EVER!!!

yeah f**k that i win
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 00:05
Originally posted by MaxerJ MaxerJ wrote:

Bad analogy. You get what I mean though. It's a common peeve among proggers. Even people on this site will tell you in soothing tones that we can't get angry at mainstream because it's just as musical as any other type of music. Once I got annoyed. But now I'm okay with that. Because it's like saying The Princess Diaries is as much a book as Great Expectations: it's true. Let me explain:

Because even the general public understands the difference between literary books and books made for entertainment. And although that line is blurred sometimes, the majority know where most books stand within that division. Of course, with the breakdown of Structualism we can see everything as literature, but I won't go into that here. What's important is that even Post-Structualists understand that there is some undefined magic stopping Harry Potter from being read like The Lord of the Rings - both are well written, humorous and often emotional, but LOTR is seen as literary.

EDIT: Sorry about the links. They don't go anywhere - just an accident with Word...

I'm genuinely sympathetic to all the points you raise in this post (no I ain't being sarcastic) but it is unfortunate that you have chosen to equate musical artistic merit with literature

Why ?, because music communicates to us with or without words/lyrics:

Music is the literature of the heart; it commences where speech ends - (Alphonse de Lamartine)

You are right, there are too many angst ridden liberals round here who cannot bring themselves to denote the crass and venal for what it is. Must be a post modern malaise epitomised by the semi -detached journalist wannabees who spout junk like 'just because you like it doesn't mean it has merit' blah yakkity blah. This might work for burgers but it don't work for art.

TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 00:15
Being cruel:

1. Ultimately, literature in books is a measure of age more than anything else. Give me a hundred years and I reckon Harry Potter will be considered as literature (coming of age story, modernisation of folklore etc...). Literary books generally are made for entertainment (for example, Scoop or pick-a-Shakespeare-play-at-random) and entertainment books generally have literary qualities.

2. Classical music requires, I understand, more technical ability, is frequently more complex, and I'd guess requires much, much more intensive study to pull off properly. Additionally, it has a longer standing and more varied tradition and has developed a pantheon more effectively and more maturely than prog rock. By comparison, prog is not really the literature of music.

3. 'Undefined' isn't a very helpful clarifier when it is the definition itself that's in question.

4. Does this mean we can get rid of Dream Theater?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 01:37
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Being cruel:

1. Ultimately, literature in books is a measure of age more than anything else. Give me a hundred years and I reckon Harry Potter will be considered as literature (coming of age story, modernisation of folklore etc...). Literary books generally are made for entertainment (for example, Scoop or pick-a-Shakespeare-play-at-random) and entertainment books generally have literary qualities.

4. Does this mean we can get rid of Dream Theater?

1 - Notwithstanding that is takes a considerable amount of nous to interpret 'Billy Bunter & the Tuckshop Mystery' as an allegorical critique on feudal land reforms in the 15th Century. Any intellectual half-wit can put a literary spin on anything. It's all there in the bible Morag , you just have to jumble the words up. The audiences in Shakespeare's day were about 70% illiterate but still had a considerably better grasp of the spoken word and contemporary current affairs than so-called educated people have now.

4 - No, behind that carefully calculated façade of cheesy metal, speed typing as substance and 3rd hand ideas, lurks a labyrinthine conceptual allegory of post modern mould - James LaBrie aka Jimmy the Cheese - ya geddit ?LOL
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 01:53
I don't think that "literature" is the right word ... "art" would be more appropriate. That's why I also like the label "Art Rock" very much ... IMO it captures what Prog Rock is about much better. Unfortunately "Art Rock" has acquired several counter-intuitive connotations over the decades, so in real life it's not as useful as it could be, if everyone took it literally.

BTW: I like mainstream music a lot, too. I would never say that all music is equal though ... some music is more artistic, some less. "More artistic" doesn't imply though that it's always more enjoyable or just generally better. There's bad artistic music and great mainstream music, and vice versa, and everything in between. Let me quote Zappa once more: "Music is the best". Smile
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 03:38
Heh... there's been more replies from the people i already agree with.. I guess i was more trying to find a way to explain our view of music to more liberal, mainstream listeners.

Evan - It's more of that I want great bands and artists to recieve the honour they deserve, instead of turning on VH1 to watch 'The Best of 90's Pop!'

I agree, for people are not always stupid and juvenile. My point was about the possibility, which people seem to be loathe to awknowledge, even though I cannot believe that in their hearts they think Beethoven and the Spice Girls are equal.

How do I evaluate? That is a fair question, and not one I can fully answer. I would argue that it is in the same way that I call something a terrible book and worse than Shakespeare, but I know the two are not really analagous since you can't subject music to the same logical analysis as a book. So we're back to the same fuzzy logic. Maybe I'll think of something smarter in the morning.

Henry Plainview - I think it's more than a possibility but exactly what you said - people can't really believe Beethoven and the Spice Girls are equal... so is it a hard step to agree that it's the same difference as Harry Potter/LOTR? I think you can treat music with the same quota as books. it would be good to get a universal leveler around here...

Toddler - Big smile The Hammill and Jay-Z thing was supposed to be a joke... Also i want to give mainstream listeners more credit than not being able to tell the difference between Jeff Beck and... anybody.

DJPuffyLemon - ... wut? Okay I think i understand, but selling out is a bit of an old idea... It's only really relevant when talking about.... Rabin....

RAAAAAAAAAAABBBBIIIIIIIINNNNNNN!

ExittheLemming - Well, one of the desires of Structualism and beyond was to unify how we saw mediums in the over-term of 'text' eg. a book is a text, but so is a song, and so is a game. So yes, music speaks to our soul in a way books can't but similarily books can give descripitive and metaphorical images songs can't really... if someone went into seven verses of describing a house, it would get pretty boring, but this much text is given without a thought in books.

TGM - 1. Yes, Dickens is a good example of this, but Ian McEwan is already accepted as a fairly literary writer.
           2.This is what i was trying to get at... yes, prog is not at all the literature of music, classical is easily, but I think certain excellent prog songs deserve to be called literary with these classical... classics. After all, that's what we're all here for - to relieve that moment when you heard your first amazing progressive song and were blown away.
           3. That was the point. Many have tried to define lit, but Eagleton has pwned them all...
           4. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO yes.

Mr. Prog Freak - I totally agree with the Art Rock thing. This is a discussion I had in a Lit Studies lesson once - whether Art is Literature, or Literature is Art. Literary theorists tend to think the latter, but everyone else thinks the former... It's hilarious because it really doesn't matter at all.

You know what would be awesome? If the CEO of Warner Music held a press conference tomorrow and told the world the past twenty years of music has been one huge, meta-textual concept album... AWESOME

theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 04:01
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

"More artistic" doesn't imply though that it's always more enjoyable or just generally better. There's bad artistic music and great mainstream music, and vice versa, and everything in between.

This sums it up for me.

And on the topic of "juvenile" and such....let me ask you one question: How would J.S. Bach, Bethoven etc react if you played them "Supper's ready" or "Close to the edge" and so on??? I bet they would dismiss it as juvenile trash because frankly, the level of complexity and scope of any of these compositions are (based on an objective musical analysis) far beneath of that of any of the works of the aforementioned classical composers. Yet WE consider them "da bomb". I guess that makes as juvenile and stupid too...
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 06:23

QED
You are absolutely right.
But a stupid, juvenile person can create stupid Prog, where a smart artistic person, would create smart
creative prog.

Put in any other genre, and it will still be true.  

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 06:54

people who read literature and the commercial stuff in bookstores learn to read and write to a level where they and understand words, sentences, paragraphs, and writings. You are taught in school about the perception of 'good literature' and 'poems' and whatnot. So after you grow up you make judgement about what you read whether they are literature or not. These are subjective anyway, but as you already said many people know in their guts Twilight is not the same class of literature as the Name of The Rose.

As for music, not everyone learned to understand how music is composed from notes and chords, and how each instrument is played, etc. It is a bit more difficult for them to make that line that marks good music from bland. 

This is from a person who doesn't speak English natively so pardon if i have made some mistakes. Hopefully you get what i am trying to say.Wink

And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 07:07
Originally posted by theBox theBox wrote:

Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

"More artistic" doesn't imply though that it's always more enjoyable or just generally better. There's bad artistic music and great mainstream music, and vice versa, and everything in between.

This sums it up for me.

And on the topic of "juvenile" and such....let me ask you one question: How would J.S. Bach, Bethoven etc react if you played them "Supper's ready" or "Close to the edge" and so on??? I bet they would dismiss it as juvenile trash because frankly, the level of complexity and scope of any of these compositions are (based on an objective musical analysis) far beneath of that of any of the works of the aforementioned classical composers. Yet WE consider them "da bomb". I guess that makes as juvenile and stupid too...

I don't know ... if Mozart was anything like he was portrayed in that movie (by Tom Hulce), I bet he would have been head-noddingly amused.Smile

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - October 02 2009 at 07:23
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 08:06
l.

Toddler - Big smile The Hammill and Jay-Z thing was supposed to be a joke... Also i want to give mainstream listeners more credit than not being able to tell the difference between Jeff Beck and... anybody.

You do? Well that is very thoughtful of you. But I think that you might be giving mainstream listeners more credit than is due. For 30 years I performed in front of various types of crowds. Classic rock, prog, disco, metal, jazz, 50's rock n' roll, alternative, folk, blues, and even performed with avant-garde dancers. I am sorry to say but for 3 solid decades while travelling around the U.S.A., it was rare to meet a person in the audience who knew the difference between Jeff Beck and ....anybody.Ouch

Hey this is not my fault.Wink My expectations of meeting and conversing with fans in the audience that had more musical depth than Gene Simmons were narrowed down to a selective few. When I played for prog audiences or blues, jazz and folk crowds there were many people with depth and detailed understanding about music, but you see that is quite like gathering everyone from the PA site in a theatre and conversing with them. Most people on this site have a vast knowledge that sky rockets beyond the level of mine. I can't give credit to mainstream listeners as you have, due to my own realization that my experience with these audiences is unbiased and factual.Shocked

But lets forget about me and think about the analogy itself. It was a fact that on a ridiculous level such as this one, the proof of many out numbering the less became everyday reality. The fact that many audiences did not know the difference between superb guitarists and mediocre ones or an even more ridiculous observation, (but very common), not knowing the difference between a phenomenal guitarist and a horrible one, did not categorize them as idiots. It's just an innocent nature amongst various audiences to assume and not analyse. It's strange though  because a large percentage of people that are sports fans, will sit in a club watching sports TV and analyse every move and gymnastic technic of a basketball player. But on the same night at about 10:00 pm, Foghat are now on stage in the club, and it's plain to see that these  large percentages of people are not interested in analysing the difference between Lonesome Dave on guitar Thumbs Downand Jeff Beck who they saw play the night before. Thumbs Up  In this case, many simply feel the same about all guitarists, in otherwords....It's all good. They cringe or gawp when hearing 2 music fans make comparisons regarding musicianship but when it comes to sports they are always meticolous about who is the bestShocked  That is why a lot of musicians become jaded and are quite happy living the life of a castaway.Wink                                                                                                                                       e

daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 08:58
Originally posted by terryl terryl wrote:

people who read literature and the commercial stuff in bookstores learn to read and write to a level where they and understand words, sentences, paragraphs, and writings. You are taught in school about the perception of 'good literature' and 'poems' and whatnot. So after you grow up you make judgement about what you read whether they are literature or not. These are subjective anyway, but as you already said many people know in their guts Twilight is not the same class of literature as the Name of The Rose.

As for music, not everyone learned to understand how music is composed from notes and chords, and how each instrument is played, etc. It is a bit more difficult for them to make that line that marks good music from bland. 

This is from a person who doesn't speak English natively so pardon if i have made some mistakes. Hopefully you get what i am trying to say.Wink

Man I completely agree with you, and I'd like to add something else. I guess it's easier for all people to understand the difference between Literary and non-literary books, cause the "language" of books are just words. You begin to hear words before you are born, and language is present through all your life, you speak words, hear words, write words, etc... So, in the end, people have a lot more training in language stuff than in music stuff..

You can listen to music without knowing what music is, how it is plaid, how it is written, etc.. but you can't read a book without "knowing how to read"...

I guess I kinda made my point, people who doesn't have a musical training, or at least the will to understand music beyond the "sound of distortion", as someone else said, use to stay just in mainstream music, which for me ain't bad at all... 
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>