FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEthers Edge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethers Edge
    Posted: October 04 2009 at 03:33

Ethers Edge are a progressive rock band who are working hard towards an initial release. It is the main project for multi instrumentalist Bazza Preece and the demos put out so far have received a lot of great comments and are continuing to attract more interest than was expected. There have also been a few radio plays to date.

Bazzas influences are very varied and he is a new "member" of the progressive side of rock. The interest in this genre was sparked by a work colleague a couple of years ago who introduced Bazza to the works of Porcupine Tree, Opeth and Riverside. This exposure proved to change the course of Bazzas musical direction (and some would say it has also changed his life dramatically - for the better).

You can find the currently available tracks at www.ethersedge.co.uk - I would appreciate it if anyone is able to have a listen and pass on some thoughts.

As said earlier, work is ongoing and when new stuff is made available it will be posted on to http://www.ethersedge.co.uk or on to the following:

http://www.reverbnation.com/ethersedge
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ethers-Edge/115482674305
http://www.myspace.com/ethersedge
http://www.last.fm/music/Ethers+Edge

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2010 at 09:03
Heard the music last night. Very good prog. Chatted with Bazza about this and he was keen to get the music out there. Check his facebook at Bazza Preece - lots of good prog to listen to from him.
Bazza Preece View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 17:04
As work on the album is moving closer to completion, the demo tracks are gradually being replaced with better produced versions. The first deed has been done - the Don't Follow demo has been replaced with a better produced version. And as an added bonus, it's available for free download for the next four weeks - and then we'll change another Ethers Edge track. So please spread the word and the music if you can.
And enjoy!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 06:05
Another demo track has now been replaced and has been made available for download. This time it's the turn of Open Wide, and I hope it goes down as well as Don't Follow has done over the last four weeks.

And as an update for the forum, the album is getting tantalisingly close, but I am not planning on rushing the last bit when so much care has been put into it so far.

Please feel free to leave any comments, and if you have enjoyed the music, please help spread the word about Ethers Edge.

Please enjoy this latest offering.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 20:29
Keep masterng and when its released let us all know and we can review it here! Lk fwd to hearing it all.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 07:49

As a quick update for you, the demo of "Writers Void" has now been replaced with a version that has had some work done it - some re-recording of parts and a lot of production tweaks. All in all, it's a lot better to listen to, and it is available as a free download for the next few weeks.

The final album track is now written and is currently being recorded. There are plans for a transatlantic collaboration on this one which will hopefully work well - more news on that in the future. Recording on one of the other remaining tracks is also going well, and there will be hopefully be a guest appearance on this one as well. It's certainly exciting times and I will certainly let you know when it is available so that you can review it (please be kind, and promise to be truthful)!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 01:46
Look forward to hearing the new tracks soon, great to see you are mastering them.

If you record it, Reviews will come!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 06:22
bumped

new Ethers Edge album out soon! Cant wait!!
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 09:05
Congratulations Bazza preece.Nice work!The Porcupine tree and the Opeth influences is very presentable.I like very much "Life's light".Good continuity with your album.
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 12:54
Hey Bazza,

You contacted me through Facebook a while ago with some of your music and I'm really glad you're close to an official release.  Best of luck!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 05:08
I 'spoke' to you Bazza last night on facebook - if you want to promote your album, visit us here sometime. Look forward to hearing more... Bye till then.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 04:13
The release date for the debut album "Return To Type" has been set for 28th Feb 2011 and it is now possible to order a copy of the cd at the official website - http://www.ethersedge.co.uk. The album will be shipped worldwide.

The tracks that were online - "Writer's Void", "Open Wide", "Don't Follow" and "Life's Light" - have been replaced with the final mastered versions. These versions can be heard at the following places:

http://www.ethersedge.co.uk  (official website)

Hopefully there will be plenty of reviews of the album to follow soon.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 01:20
Clap
one to look out for next year!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 23:13
Well, Ether's Edge album is out and its very good. I have to hear it a few more times before review but so far it is excellent music.

Thanks Bazza!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 02:50
The full album is currently being streamed on their website. I was impressed by the track on the Classic Rock-Prog sampler too.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 16:58
Thank you, I'm pleased you're enjoying the tunes.

I'll look forward to reading some reviews on here soon. And I've been told today that there will be a review of the album in the next edition of Classic Rock Presents Prog as well - really exciting (and nervous) times!

Cheers,

Bazza
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 18:08
The review in CRpresents Prog will be worth a look as they have a very distinct style of reviewing.
i am working on a review in the next week or so and I hope others here do too as it will be interesting to see what the general consensus is.

The interview on Kaleidoscope Ears radio show was fantastic! The first interview!

here it is for those who didnt hear

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 22 2011 at 18:09
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 03:00
Talking of CR Prog magazine, note that the Ether's Edge track is track 2 on the sampler. The track list on the sleeve shows it as track 1 (which is actually Pallas).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 07:38

I absolutely love this album. Just heard it again twice in a row. Such a great concept and the musicianship is inceredible.

My favourite tracks are as follows (part of my review to come):

Return To Type is one of the best tracks on the album, the longest clocking 9 minutes, with an incredible proggy metal riff that is not quite in sync but works so well competing against the sporadic drum beat and pulsing bassline. The vocals here remind me of Steven Wilson at times. There are some speed tempo blastbeats especially with the double kick drums by Jesse Frizzell. The guitar riffage by Adam Chippendale breaks through the wild talkative vocals. The instrumental break is inspirational, the power metal halts to make room for a rather gentle clean guitar passage. The track ends with staccato blasts of explosive guitar outbursts. The lyrics tell the painful story; “This is not rejection of you” but the “demons of the past” are haunting the guilt wracked main character who is conflicting with his own emotional state. He has returned to the old ways again after finishing the relationship. Now he is back in the drug scene; partying and drinking has taken over and he is consumed by the rejection of the accepted way of living. He has returned to the “old stomping ground”. The conflict is that there remains strong feelings towards the other person, and the inevitable realisation that this change has caused hurt. One of the definitive highlights of the album.

Writer’s Void has a lengthy intro with some awesome lead guitar work and an ambient key pad with sustained spacey swathes of synth strings. The estranged off kilter high pitched guitars are echoed with a choppy riff on a second guitar, then they are joined by a distorted guitar. Suddenly it stops with a minimalist acoustic introducing a new riff, with a metronomic sweet harmonic beauty. The metal guitar sound drowns it out and takes over the riff. One of my favourite pieces of music follows where the guitars lock into a simple but effective chunky riff, complemented with some acoustic trade offs. The track reflects a blank period in the character’s mind who is lost without thoughts, lost without views, and stuck on a different plane that is devoid of feeling. A simply wonderful and mesmirising track.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:15
Blimey, high praise indeed! Thank you very much - it's so nice to know that the music is being appreciated.

I shall look forward to reading the rest of your review when it's posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>