Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrumpy Old Rock Star by Rick Wakeman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grumpy Old Rock Star by Rick Wakeman
    Posted: October 05 2009 at 15:13

Full title: Grumpy Old Rock Star: and Other Wondrous Stories by Rick Wakeman.

I borrowed this book from the local library.

This book is a collection of very funny anecdotes from the life of the Strawbs/Yes/solo artist Rick Wakeman. The horrors of travelling behind the Iron Curtain and setting up Henry VIII on ice is told here. Very much to my rapterous laughter. This is very much a laughing out loud book from one of the funniest men in England. Because being grumpy and funny is what Rick Wakeman is these days. And he is excellent at it. He is the voice of the prog rock movement. He is laughing at himself and indirectly; at my interest for prog rock. Which is fine for me. I know my taste in music is stupid. The stories and anecdotes is very funny. In particular the Henry VIII on ice debacle. 

This book is not a full biography like the excellent Keith Emerson book is. That is my main gripe with it. This book is also one of two....... and probably a new series of "Old and grumpy" books from Wakeman. He is an excellent storyteller and I am sure he has stuff for five more books. I am looking forward to those and I will now seek out the second book at the library. I will not buy it though because I do not regard them worthy a purchase.

As collections of good stories; this book is excellent. If you want to laugh yourself into oblivion; this book is an excellent choice. That's it.

3 stars 

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2009 at 01:08

Rick comes from a little district called Perivale, which is just a stone's throw over Horsenden Hill from my patch in North Greenford - i am always amazed how worlwide fame, international rock star / Prog icon status and News of the World revelations with a supermodel has not changed him, he gripes about all the things that irk us ordinary mortals,   though if he had been a plumber would he just be as grumpy? Confused

If his problems with keyboards within Yes included few solos and having to hold down one note for somebody else's no wonder he would relieve the boredom with a curry, and ending up symbolically rejecting Prog by smashing up and dumping his Mellotron ...LOL

Prog Archives Tour Van
Hogweed57 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 04:10
Yes have read that book and totally agree its a wonderfull conceptual double album of sn****rs.  He is a V funny man  I had the pleasure of meeting him once and he is utterly charming and V self depreciating  but as my old man used to say  if you cant laugh at yourself!!!!
Be safe be happy
Hogweed57 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 04:12
oh just seen the censoring of my prev post sn****rs    god man  i meant chuckles    someones being over sensitive.   Jeez been censored for the first time  am a fossilised rebel!
Be safe be happy
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 04:17
Does anyone listen to his radio show?
Hogweed57 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 04:22
God yes  love it you know in an alternative universe he would be a prog tery wogan   Compliment by the way he has just such a lovely gentle humour and ability to connect  its funny isnt it when you think about it. To most of us on here he is a prog icon but he is slowly becoming a uk national treasure.
Be safe be happy
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 04:30
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I'd love to, but its on Planet Rock radio, and thats based out of the US, so if you stream the show, it comes on at crazy hours

This is a great book, and it was a pleasure to read - My dad bought it for himself and told me I should read it, and I went in expecting nothing other than a biography with the occasional joke... But it was genuinely great, and worth every minute I spent reading it!
Hogweed57 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 04:32
ah bummer mate its worth a listen im  a technomuppet but can u get it online?
Be safe be happy
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 04:32
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I'd love to, but its on Planet Rock radio, and thats based out of the US, so if you stream the show, it comes on at crazy hours

This is a great book, and it was a pleasure to read - My dad bought it for himself and told me I should read it, and I went in expecting nothing other than a biography with the occasional joke... But it was genuinely great, and worth every minute I spent reading it!

As far as I know the shows are stored for a week to listen to at any time.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 05:40

Really?!

Thanks - I'm checking it out now
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 05:51

Really?!

Thanks - I'm checking it out now

Yes at the top

It says Listen, underneath it says Live and again

Click on again and look undr Saturday.
 Post Reply Post Reply