Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother Prog Nut to Crack....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Prog Nut to Crack....
    Posted: May 13 2005 at 20:33

Just logged on, and just joined up.  This is a very cool thing you guys have going on here.  Wished badly that I had found it sooner!!  Oh well at least I have found it now.

Got my start in the eighties with dare I say it?  Hair bands. You know... Ratt, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, etc.  Problem was in small town Oklahoma, you don't have much choice in the way of friends, and I was lucky enough to have one who played drums too.  Also lucky for me he was really into Rush, Yes, Genesis and ELP.  Also lucky for me I saw the error of my ways!         & nbsp;(Yes I know...  Big collective sigh...  AAHHHH....)

My main band is still Rush after all of these years,   Istill listen to a huge variety of stuff, but I seem to go back and forth between two phases.

1st phase: Heavy, Heavier, and Heaviest.  I want to hear loud distorted guitars played on the edge of insanity---  Dream Theater,  Shadow Gallery,  Megadeth (preferably with Marty Friedman)  even some crazy Kieth Emerson stuff will suffice.  I guess it's the intensity factor that counts here.

2nd phase:  Good song craftsmanship/ moods evoked.  This phase I wish to hear somebady who knows what the heck they are doing.  Good time changes with a lot of dynamics thrown in.  ---Usually Yes,  Genesis,  ELP,  Kings X, etc.

Many bands I  listen to I would even put in both categories.  Fates Warning for example. 

Anyway Hopefully that will clue you guys in on what I dig most.  I do listen to tons of other styles, but always and forever will be a progressive rocker.  :)

Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 21:49
Hey tennyson, welcome! I too go in phases as to liking heavy music. It used to be these phases consisted of Pantera, Metallica, & Megadeth monstly, but since discovering this forum, I have been in a heavy prog-metal phase. Along with the usual DT, I am heavily into Opeth right now and Pain Of Salvation is becoming a favorite too. Check em out if you haven't already.

If you don't already know them, Opeth might be a shock, as most of their albums contain lots of death metal growls (but very good ones), but also many acoustic, clear-voiced sections to go along with the melodic, crushing guitar riffs. It's really some unique, great stuff.
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 06:26

Hi! Be ready to catch some sh*t for liking prog metal here - but not from me.

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
tennyson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 00:40

First thanks for the recommendations.....

Second, i guess I can handle some death metal growls here and there.  Lord knows I have listened to enough Sepultura and such in my day.  One question though...  Its not that crazy we love Satan stuff is it?  Hope not because I really need to pick up some new stuff to get into.  I was reading up on some Symphony X stuff and it sounded pretty cool.  I really dig Savatage's later stuff.  I like the fact that you get the whole concept album/story along with it.  Really liked Fates Warning's Pale Shade of Grey too.  Any help would be appreciated, as I have wasted tons of $$ on stuf that I didn't like. I went through this whole phase with Magna Carta records and bought many of their titles.  Some were great, but some of them (I won't mention them as I wish to anger no one)  were just too keyboardy for me.  Being a guitar player, I want to hear some one rip it up on their guitar you know?  Doesn't matter if it's Steve Howe with "The Clap"  ( Man I should have rephrased that one huh?)  Or Petrucci in "Under a GLass Moon"  I just like to hear guys play who are much more talented than the rest of us... 

Thanks Guys...

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 11:37

Hi tennyson,

I guess your experience of going through phases of heavier stuff then back to more traditional prog, fits the bill with many of us.  I'm glad you've found Shadow Gallery and Symphony X, because that would be where I'd suggest you start.  Failing that, try 'Beyond Daylight' by Vanden Plas (2002) on Inside Out record label.. I think its a cracker, and I think you'll be impressed.

Enjoy the site

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 20:27
To answer your question about Opeth, tennyson, no, they are very very gloomy, but in no way Satanic. Their lyrics are much deeper (and less "evil") than most death metal.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 22:46

tennyson,

From one big Rush fan to another - Welcome!  Just joined myself after lurking around for a long time.

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 10:03
Where have you been all this time to discover this site noe, nevermind mate welcome aboard!
CYMRU AM BYTH
 Post Reply Post Reply