Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater - 9th Oct 2009 - Manchester Apollo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater - 9th Oct 2009 - Manchester Apollo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater - 9th Oct 2009 - Manchester Apollo
    Posted: October 11 2009 at 16:35
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 11">

Having seen DT at the Leeds Academy in June this year, my brother (Roj M30 here on PA) and I were really looking forward to seeing them at the Manchester Apollo, not only because it’s local for us but because it’s a better venue (the way the floor slopes downwards towards the stage affords smaller people, like me, a better view!).

Despite missing the first two bands from the Progressive Nation line-up, Unexpect and Big Elf (due to our tickets giving the wrong start time) we were certainly not disappointed with the evening’s entertainment.

Fortunately we were there in time to see the full, 1¼-hour set of the impressive Opeth.  Don’t ask me what tracks they played, as this was the first time I’d heard them!!  Never have I heard a band play such starkly contrasting music, from the heaviest death metal to such lovely prog, with lead vocals to match from Mikael Akerfeldt - hard to believe that the growls and the smooth, clear vocals come from the same guy!  Throw in some really technical pieces too and there we had the perfect support band for Dream Theater.  We were most impressed and some of their CDs will be going on my Christmas list for sure.

Then, of course, came Dream Theater and as expected they were absolutely knockout.  They opened with ‘A Nightmare To Remember’, followed by ‘A Rite of Passage’, which had us thinking they were going to do BC&SL in its entirety.  This wasn’t the case, but later in their set they did also play ‘Wither’ and a surprise, superb encore of ‘The Count of Tuscany’.  Other tracks played were ‘In The Name of God’, ‘Sacrificed Sons’ and a section from SFAM consisting of ‘The Dance of Eternity’, ‘One Last Time’ and ‘The Spirit Carries On’.  We were pretty blown away by ‘The Dance of Eternity’ – they couldn’t have picked a more self-indulgent and technical track to play!!  Notably, the set was totally different from the one they played in Leeds earlier in the year.

The sound was excellent, perfectly balanced, and the musicianship as dazzling as ever.  Solo upon solo from Petrucci; LaBrie’s voice stunningly flawless; Portnoy’s drumming one long onslaught of brilliance; and we were treated to a flashy solo by Rudess who had the stage to himself for his showpiece.

All in all it was a brilliant night – come back soon, DT!! Clap

(PS: This is my first review on PA - hope it's not too rubbish!)

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 04:04
Nice review sis' Clap

I echo these comments totally  - it was indeed a fantastic gig.  For me, the sound and setlist were absolutely superb.  I've seen DT three times this year and whilst all three were great, this was certainly the best.  Can't wait for next time.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 04:24
Nice to see you enjoyed it!Thumbs Up
Fieldofsorrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 12:32
Yeah, it was a brilliant gig. LaBrie surpassed my expectations as well, by a long way. 
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband
Too Many Zeros View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 01:59
Great review, Pogo.
Opeth probably blew me away more than DT did, simply because of Deliverance (the 15 minute song that was heavy from start to finish). I never really liked the song until that very moment... it's something else when experienced live, just dazzling in a brutal way. And The Lotus Eater was brilliant, it sounded like it was made specifically for a live setting.

Unexpect were interesting; they were like Cynic (without the vocoder) crossed with black metal, with a dash of folk metal. Big Elf sounded bluesy to me, with heavy use of an organ, but they were enjoyable to watch.

(Btw, seriously, how was Dance of Eternity? My jaw was down by my knees throughout the entire song. Wow.)

Edited by Too Many Zeros - November 17 2009 at 02:01
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 03:31
This is a great review - Makes me wish I was there!

Hope you enjoyed it
-Joel
Proggy Pogo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 07:45
Originally posted by Too Many Zeros Too Many Zeros wrote:

Great review, Pogo.
(Btw, seriously, how was Dance of Eternity? My jaw was down by my knees throughout the entire song. Wow.)

Hear hear - I couldn't believe they played it.  It was mindblowingly good Confused !!  Yeh, wow!

Thanks all for the kind comments about my review. Embarrassed
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 11:06
Good review. I was at the Wembly show. It was a great night. I was quite surprised (pleasantly) to hear Opeth open with 'Windowpane' One iof my fave Opeth tracks.

Shame you missed Unexpect and Big Elf, both of whom were great.

As for Dream Theater, I absoluely loved the show! I'm not their biggest fan, but I have warmed to them throughout 2009. Live, they totally rocked!!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
sean456 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 02:44
Nice Gotta fun !! Hats Off

----------------------------------
Sean Cruz
North Vancouver Flowers
 Post Reply Post Reply