Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoul Cages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soul Cages
    Posted: October 12 2009 at 16:20
For fans of ''eclectic'' progressive metal, SOUL CAGES from Germany are a band unlike the others.

Three releases from 1994 to 1999 have marked the band's sound but were not enough to make the band famous in the general prog/metal audience. To my knowledge they enjoy some recognition in limited places in the world, Germany being one of them and Greece probably the second (that is how I came to know them). The band has not released anything since 1999's Craft and is known to be in search of a record company.

The three releases feature unconventional melodies, ''eclectic'' (German-accented) vocals and also beautiful female voices. The closest band musically is probably Sieges Even (another German progmetal band). Elements of their music can be found in Queensryche's early works and some of the melodies resemble to Fates Warning and Shadow Gallery. However, the general musical approach is much more closer to what we call German prog metal scene (e.g. Sieges Even, Mekong Delta).

A highly underrated band, it has released the following albums:

1994 - Soul Cages

1996 - Moments

1999 - Craft

Although all of them are worth listening to, Craft is their most known release, but I would highly recommend the debut from 1994.

Edited by aapatsos - October 12 2009 at 16:21
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 03:27
Agree that they are underrated, I have 2f rom 3 of their albums , Moments and Craft and to be onest they are very good. Soon I will make some reviews on these albums. Great band
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 03:31
Thanks for the heads-up Athanasios Thumbs Up

I see they have several streams available at their HQ, I'll check them out later today.
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 15:05
^ this is my attempt to describe CRAFT - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=244523

hope you enjoy it

@Steve: I absolutely love your avatar Wink (although Tool I find the lyrics resemble to Anathema's Eternity...)
 Post Reply Post Reply