Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Tangent Appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 13:18
I absolutely loved Not as Good as the Book, one of my all-time favs
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:31
New album is just amazing..i love it. got some feeling that they cut jazzy elements a bit..
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
grimtim View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 14:49
Thank you to The Captain for the welcome and I have now posted my first review on Progarchives and it is of The Tangent's "Down And Out In Paris And London" please let me know if I have breached any site guidelines or rules.

I hope you enjoy what I have written. (Took days!)
magardiner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 22:32
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Three things for me dragged A Place in the Queue to four stardom:

3. "A Place in the Queue"
(much too long for its own good- could've been trimmed to 16-20 solid minutes)

Somewhere I've got an early stage demo for "A Place in the Queue" which is about 16 minutes.

MAG
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 05:47
A bit late to make my debut on this thread but better late than never right ? Anyway, I would think this thread a bit hotter than it appears right now so shortly after the release of Down and out ...
And shouldn't the thread have more followers than right now ? About 10-15 people for this high class band is too few I believe. I'll put in my 2 cents for the ranking of the albums:

Music that died alone 3,75* (Up Hill from here is superb, what an energy !)
The World that we drive through 4* (4 excellent tracks)
A Place in the Queue 4,25* (In Earnest is in my top 25 songs of all time !!)
Not as Good as the Book 4*(the shorter song disk is better than the epic disk to me) 
Down and Out in Paris and London 4,25* (most equable album of the 5)

Anyway, great band and what a modest guy Andy Tilison is. Just read this interview on DPRP:

A day without prog is a wasted day
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:18

WOW!  Very impressed with The Tangent.  I grabbed as many albums as I could.  

Let me give you my background.  I came into the Tangent from Jakko Jakszyk.  I really am crazy about Jakko's solo work and found he was in the Tangent for "Not as good as the book".  I feel that Jakko has a unique ability to sound fripp-esque and holdsworth-ian sometimes.  He's very unpredictable on the guitar.  That's what makes him fun.  Also, the man has a great voice (whjch is rarely heard which is a shame!)

Personally, I think this album gets a bad rap.  So far "Not as Good As The Book" has been the only Tangent album I could assimilate in one listen.  This doesn't mean the rest are bad albums.  It just seemed to me to be the easiest to assimilate.  I'm plowing thru "The world we drive..."  and its getting better by the listen.

I'm not afraid of "dense" prog music like this.  Hell, I'm a die hard Hatfield & the North fan which can be VERY dense/complicated music.  So you can see that Tangent would serve me well and it does.  QUITE well.

I'm just thrilled with stumbling over The Tangent, and I just thought I'd share my early experience.

and to tell everyone to stop panning or down-rating "Not as good as the book" as i feel for me, it is/was the best introduction.

PS long live the legacy of pip pyle and hugh hopper.  i miss them so much it hurts!

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:44
^ Yes Jakko  Jackszyk is a verry good singer esecially on that Schizoid Band thing ive seen on YouTube (Epitapth i think) and he NAILS it he has a great passionate voice and sings the songs with such passion and you realy se he respects KCs work

but yes back to topic The Tangent RULES and their art-works is realy pretty it's like I want to walk into them and see whats living creatures you can find their .

http://www.po90.com/tangent2008/queuefront.jpg
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 16:52

The schizoid band is nice, but his song writing is definitely key.  You need to check out:

Jakko-Are My Ears on Wrong

and

Jakko Jakszyk-The Bruised Romantic Glee Club

this stuff is just really good ear candy.

His appearance with holdsworth et al, on Level 42's Guaranteed album was a good outing as well.

Jakko - Are My Ears on Wrong The Bruised Romantic Glee Club

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:20
Hello i need a begginer's guide to The Tangent.

What albums do you recommend to me.
Thanks

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:25

My personal opinion is that they are all great and that you should start at the beginning and work your way forward.  The Music That Died Alone came at the perfect time for me and had a major impact on drawing me back to progressive rock, and I think that it is also a great place to start with them. 

magardiner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 21:54
I love all the albums -- but I'd say the three essential ones are the first one (The Music That Died Alone), the third (A Place in the Queue) and the current one (Down and Out in Paris and London)....but the even numbered ones are very good too.

Come to think of it, Tangent albums are rather like Beethoven Symphonies....

MAG
AstralliS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 14:08
Hello all Tangent fans! Prog Sphere just completed an interview with Andy Tillison and Jonathan Barrett (The Tangent's new bassist) for our up-and-coming review/interview blogzine! Linked here - http://prog-sphere.blogspot.com/ Stop on by and read the first part of the interview, and feel free to comment. Part two, the part containing both Andy and Jonathan (instead of just Andy) will be up soon.

Also, I would like to mention that there will be some more interviews with people such as Nad Sylvian, Ryo Okumoto, Guy Manning among others. Be sure to check it, coz Prog Sphere is here to stay!
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 04:51
I just listened to Not As Good As The Book again the other day and reminded myself of how much I love the band. They have a lot of solid releases - especially that and The World That We Drive Through. Thought provoking, no holds barred prog. I haven't heard Down And Out In London and Paris yet, but I'd like to!
AstralliS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 07:31
Hope you got interested to hear Down and Out in Paris and London, after this interview with Andy :)
AstralliS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 18:31
The second part of an interview with Andy Tillison in addition of new band's bassist is located HERE. Find out what they have to say about the Canterbury scene, being active live again after two years, the upcoming Po90 album, Jaco Pastorius and Stanley Clarke, dogs and many other interesting things.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 13:26
Re-opened on request.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 13:31
So yea guys, uh... how about that new album?

Seriously, COMM is great, and one of the band's best. The reviews on the site are generally positive. I think they have the best guitarist they've ever had right now (not counting Roine Stolt of course).

I'm listening to Not As Good As The Book, and it may be their best album (I dont have Place In The Queue or the first album though...)
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 15:59
i've seen some footage of their recent dvd.  so so great.  i need to get one of their albums.  i think i'll start at the beginning and just work through them.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 17:07
1. A Place in the Queue
2. Not as Good as the Book
3. The World We Drive Through

I only have 3 albums by them, but they are all good. A Place in the Queue in a definite 5* masterpiece. Great balance between their jazz and symphonic styles, with stronger eclecticism appearing throughout the album. Then i think the other 2 are strong 4* albums. 

For someone reason i haven't really dissected their line-up though, maybe because they have a well developed cohesiveness going on. Though i'm really impressed by Tilison's keyboard playing, the main reason i was searching through The Tangent's material.  GPS Culture is a song that pops into my head when i think of some of his more "Yes-styled" performances. 

I could go and scramble for the other handful of albums i'm missing but i really want to soak these up more. Though, i think once i do crave another album by 'em i'll get their debut, The Music That Died Alone. 

Great band. Glad i kept with them. 

Edited by Horizons - February 12 2012 at 17:08
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 20:44
Well basically, their first 4 albums consist of mainly Flower Kings members. Jonas Reingold on bass for the first 4, Zoltan on the first 2, Roine Stolt on the first 2, and Jamie Salazar on Queue and Good As The Book.

I like their current lineup, or at least the one on COMM. I haven't heard anything from their new bassist, but the guitarist is really good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>